Help identifying part - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-13-2021, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Heffff
1973 CJ5 

Garage
Help identifying part

I have a 1973 cj5 304. I am trying to identify this part. I think it is an AC Delco part. What confuses me is that it appears there are two condensers one attached in the distributor and this one attached to the points. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
points-1.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-13-2021, 04:23 PM
MattC71
1975 CJ5 

I haven't seen one like that before, but here is one online.

http://www.2040-parts.com/1955-1974-...-gmc-i2226031/
post #3 of 18 Old 09-14-2021, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Heffff
1973 CJ5 

Garage
MattC71 thanks wasn't familiar with that site but have stored it for the future. That looks like the part a tiny bit different but not enough to keep from buying it.

post #4 of 18 Old 09-16-2021, 11:51 AM
Nor Cal CJ5

1972 CJ5 

There are two different styles of points I've observed in the past - one with a condenser like in your picture, and one that has a separate condenser, which is original. Either type condenser can be used. I believe the picture is a replacement, ACDELCO D1007 unit. The original points and condenser where separate parts and you didn't have to replace the condenser if you were "cheap" as the condenser will either work or not work. The stock distributor comes with a little short "stud" that holds the stock condenser/bracket in place.

1972 CJ5 304 V8, 3 speed manual trans
post #5 of 18 Old 09-16-2021, 01:44 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Is the condenser on the distributor ----Not for ignition----But to dampen any static that might interfere with the radio audio?

-----JEEPFELLER
post #6 of 18 Old 09-16-2021, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Heffff
1973 CJ5 

Garage
Just so that I am clear. The condenser on the points is for the radio static. The condenser on the distributor its self is for the ignition?
post #7 of 18 Old 09-16-2021, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Heffff
1973 CJ5 

Garage
I have two condensers and that is why I am confused. The one attached to the points that jeepfellar says is for Radio static and the one for the ignition that is attached to the distributor. That is the way I understand it what he said. I appreciate the help. Heffff
post #8 of 18 Old 09-16-2021, 06:37 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There should only be one condenser at the distributor. The original was a separate piece from the points, the one in the pic was a replacement that was just easier to install and had the condenser mounted to the points. The condenser on a breaker point ignition had nothing to do with radio static. It was to make the breaker point opening "CLEAN" with no arcing to ensure that the coil fired at the correct time.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-17-2021, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Heffff
1973 CJ5 

Garage
Boojo35,
Thanks for the reply. I believe I have two condensers. One on the points in the picture and one in the distributor that has a wire that runs to the negative side of the coil. So did the PO get inventive or am I still missing something in the explanation. I will take a picture that might clear it up. Heffff
pedal2themetai likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-18-2021, 08:59 AM
Nor Cal CJ5

1972 CJ5 

So there is a short pigtail wire the connects the condenser to the points on the original separate condenser/point distributor. The points with the condenser attached doesn’t need this wire because it is attached to the points already. You only need one condenser.

If you are concerned about the wiring of the distributor, post a picture of your distributor to better help understand any questions you have.

HTH

1972 CJ5 304 V8, 3 speed manual trans
post #11 of 18 Old 09-18-2021, 09:10 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Back in the days before computers, unleaded gas, electronic ignitions, and when JEEPFELLER was in diapers the desired go fast car was a 55 Chevy. 55s came with a 265 C.I. small block that soon gave way to a 327 with a 4bbl, dual exhausts with glass packs, etc. Sound systems were AM radios with a single speaker in the middle of the dash and worked best at night at the end of a country road. A popular upgrade ignition upgrade was to use solid copper not graphite spark plug wires. To listen to the radio if you could hear it over the loud exhaust you had to to use a noise filter. That's what the extra condenser was for. Just use regular points and condenser or you could just convert the distributer to electronic using one of these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-1181/make/jeep
uptillnow likes this.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #12 of 18 Old 09-18-2021, 09:18 AM
RiverandSand
1980 CJ5 

Garage
Agreed with above...Do yourself a favor and replace that old points setup with an electronic conversion kit, you will be glad you did. I have used Petronix kits on several different vehicles with points and the change is usually very noticeable.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-18-2021, 09:26 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
I have the Pertronics in my distributor and also the Flame thrower coil. I bypassed the, now, unneeded ballast resistor.

As long as you get the correct one for your particular distributor----It is so simple to install with only a two wires to hook to the coil, the rest of the wiring is already part of the Jeep!

I left it in place and "Ziplocked" the point system plate and parts. I have it stored under the back seat in "Willy" (my '46 CJ2A) just in case the new system goes sour on me (Normally in the worst sorta situation), I'll be able to revert back to the points in 10 or so minutes. It took several days to order in the correct system for my distributor.

Pertronics has improved the ignition a lot on mine.

------JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
P 012.jpg   P 023.jpg   P032.jpg   P 028.jpg   P 001.jpg  

P 019.jpg  
post #14 of 18 Old 09-20-2021, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Heffff
1973 CJ5 

Garage
Below is the other condenser on my distributer.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail(1).jpg  
post #15 of 18 Old 09-20-2021, 04:09 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
Is the condenser on the distributor ----Not for ignition----But to dampen any static that might interfere with the radio audio?

-----JEEPFELLER
I guess I "Yoda-ed" this above answer up--------Sorry guys, I just can't be right 100% of the time, it really stresses me.

I was attempting to say, the one on the coil was for the radio......

Wifey is always wanting to go/ or immediately do something chore wise----NOW NOW NOW! Puts me in a hurry to type my post before she punches a "delete what you are doing" key. See, I really take one for the team sometimes.

Below is an excerpt from the 1979 wire diagram

Notice the dealee on the distributor

Also notice this has Dura-Spark electronic ignition (Motorcraft)---No points---No condenser in the distributor.

------JEEPFELLER
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in