Help! Death wobble - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-27-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Kati

Help! Death wobble

I have a 1978 cj5 that starts going all over the road after I hit 35. It's not a shaking like some describe as the death wobble, but more of a swerving back and forth. it is not safe to drive on the road any more. I've replaced the tie rod ends, ball joints, steering column shaft, steering column, wheel bearings, and it's been aligned. I'm running out of ideas of things to fix. The steering column and shaft tighted up the steering immensely and it steers great now but still has a wobble to it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could something be screwed up in the steering box or could the steering stabilizers cause this? I'm tired of spending money and not getting the problem fixed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Drury
1978 CJ7 

You hit a lot of the major things. I'd also check your leaf spring shackles and the U Bolts that hold the axle to the leaf springs to the front axle and make sure they are all torqued to spec. If any are loose, I'd check the rear as well. Outside of that, maybe the wheels too.

78CJ7, 350TBI, T18, D20 w/AA HD output, 4.10, 35 MTRs, 100 WB w/Waggy springs
post #3 of 6 Old 06-27-2016, 03:50 PM
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

How old are your tires. My buddy had a death wobble. He thought it was suspension. replaced every single suspension part, and steering shaft only to drive back on the road and have it do the same exact thing. Turned out to be an old tire on the front had apprently gone real bad from sitting. New tires and it drives like a dream.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-27-2016, 05:53 PM
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Also inspect the bracket that holds the steering box to the frame. They are cheap stamped steel and can crack, allowing the box to move.

'84 CJ-17: 17" stretch, locked Toy axles, 5.5" lift, FI, AX15, D300 w/twin sticks, boatsides & junk.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2016, 07:49 PM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Does the Jeep have a suspension lift? If so, what type and how high?

"I give you a republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2016, 09:55 PM
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Is the steering tight? When sitting still how much play before the tire moves? Have someone move it back and for while you watch. Are the wheel bearings tight?

What front axle are you running? If someone put a Scout D44 on it and did not turn it the caster will be way off and it would likely wander.

1985 CJ7 with 1994 4.6, Dana 44 4.10 TrueTracs
2001 TJ 4.0 Dana 44 4.10 TrueTracs

Tags
1978 , cj5 , death wobble , rebuild , steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in