2Likes
  • 1 Post By uptillnow
  • 1 Post By ShopJock

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-29-2020, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

HEI Distributor / CRT

Before I pull the trigger on this HEI distributor, I wanted to confirm with you guys.

https://crtperformance.com/shop/ols/...-232258-42l-i6

I'm on a budget unfortuately, and a DUI is a little out of reach for me with my other upgrades in process. Have any of you guys had good / bad luck with this distributor or CRT as a company??

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-29-2020, 04:49 PM
WadeHiersSr

That looks like exactly the same Disti that I bought for mine... branded differently. (mine was Top Street Performance branding). Pretty sure they're all made in China and rebadged for whoever is selling it. I haven't gotten to the point of starting mine up yet... but I can say that the machining is spot on and it dropped right in.

I'm about 3-4 weeks out from my first startup... so if you're up for waiting, I can give you a better review on it then.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #3 of 15 Old 06-29-2020, 05:38 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Chris,

Many use and have used the CRT H.E.I. distributor for their 6 cyl Jeep. It will give you 4-5 times more spark energy than the Duraspark ignition you have. It also has 20-22 degrees total timing. That is allot more than your emissions advance in your Motorcraft distributor. This will allow you to burn pretty much anything you throw at it, Rich-Lean etc.
Do not get the black cap. The black is made with carbon for color and will carbon track/flash over easier.

I have heard of only a couple people with 6 cyl gear issues, and that was easily 10+ years ago. After reading many many posts about it, I have concluded the 6 cyl gear issues were generally mixed up with the V8 gear issues where O.E. AMC had 3 different harnesses' on the cam gear adding to the need for "matched sets".

I like the "Performance" H.E.I.'s. DUI seems to be the only one left in the market. The cost for all of their advantages is more, and they perform and last a long time.

You will be happy with the CRT.
UTN

post #4 of 15 Old 06-29-2020, 08:14 PM
seth13_1984
1977 CJ5 

Garage
I installed a CRT in my 258 a couple years ago. Do it and never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'77 CJ5 in SE Ohio
258 Straight 6
Carter YF Carb
Montani Semper Liberi
post #5 of 15 Old 06-30-2020, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Thx guys - will order today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 Old 06-30-2020, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

One more question - will i run the same type plugs with this distributor or something different??

I've been using the Autolite 985s. Thanks!
post #7 of 15 Old 06-30-2020, 10:30 AM
seth13_1984
1977 CJ5 

Garage
I think I ran the same plugs but had to regap them. Canít remember with 100% certainty though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'77 CJ5 in SE Ohio
258 Straight 6
Carter YF Carb
Montani Semper Liberi
post #8 of 15 Old 06-30-2020, 11:13 AM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoyle71 View Post
One more question - will i run the same type plugs with this distributor or something different??

I've been using the Autolite 985s. Thanks!
These engines seem to work best with COPPER spark plugs.

My personal preference is:
1. Champion RFN14LY (82)
2. Autolite 985
3. NGK ZFR5N (3459)

With the HEI, I never gap the plugs over 0.045" maximum. This works great and last's a long time.

UTN
Shawn Watson likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-30-2020, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Thx - super helpful!
post #10 of 15 Old 07-01-2020, 09:44 AM
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

New plug wires designed for the higher voltage is recommended. I think I asked for a "1980 F150 with I6" for the wires, since they would be close in size. The Chevy 250 is also a popular choice, but the distro sits towards the front, so the wires dont match up right for the AMC 258.

Other then that, you have to think about if you are going to use a relay, and if you need the tach hooked up. After that, it really is the best upgrade I've done to my CJ. Completely cleaned out the engine compartment, and runs super reliably. Parts can be found at every parts store, though I've never needed any
post #11 of 15 Old 07-01-2020, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
New plug wires designed for the higher voltage is recommended. I think I asked for a "1980 F150 with I6" for the wires, since they would be close in size. The Chevy 250 is also a popular choice, but the distro sits towards the front, so the wires dont match up right for the AMC 258.

Other then that, you have to think about if you are going to use a relay, and if you need the tach hooked up. After that, it really is the best upgrade I've done to my CJ. Completely cleaned out the engine compartment, and runs super reliably. Parts can be found at every parts store, though I've never needed any

The distributor I ordered comes with 8mm wires - I was planning on using those - I hope that's correct. And my understanding is the "best" way to install the HEI is with a relay / fusable link. I think I understand that concept. I have read through the documentation.....and it seems to make sense.....but I'm hoping I can pick up what I need at local parts stores. I don't think a relay will come with the distributor from CRT - just the Distributor and wires. Can I go buy a 30/40 amp relay and fusable link from a local parts store? Is that what you guys recommend?

I'm hoping it delivers next week - and I'm sure I'll have questions when it does. Thanks for all the advice, I love this forum.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-01-2020, 11:14 AM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

The 8mm wires that CRT provides are the "Packard" wires and are adequate. Of course the 8.5mm wires will contain the spark energy better, but if you keep the spark plug gap at or below 0.045" you won't have that spark energy build up looking for any ground to jump to.

I use the Beuler BU5083 relay & get a pigtail. https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/5083.html
I buy 10 at a time and have some on hand for those special problems.

Since you are using a relay, you will find you will have "engine run-on", this is from a slight alternator feed back that will keep the relay engaged. You will need a diode "1N4002" industry number that can be interchanged into most other part numbers. I usually have 10 on hand but recommend buying a couple 2.

Good Luck
UTN
Attached Images

post #13 of 15 Old 07-01-2020, 12:52 PM
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
And my understanding is the "best" way to install the HEI is with a relay / fusable link. I think I understand that concept. I have read through the documentation.....and it seems to make sense.....but I'm hoping I can pick up what I need at local parts stores.
It will run, and probably run just fine without one. The HEI just needs a 12v source to run. On 1980 and later CJs, they have a ballast resistor that lowers voltage to the ignition.

So you can wire the old coil wire directly to the HEI. Won't hurt it. Might run great. Or you can run to a relay, that also has a 12v from the battery (or solenoid). That way, the old coil wire just turns the relay on and off.

Yes, every car parts place will carry relays. I think I bought mine at walmart.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-01-2020, 11:14 PM
ShopJock
1980 CJ5 

last year I installed a CRT H.E.I. with the 8mm from them also. Came with excellent instructions. I kept it simple - no relay. When you take out the old Duraspark control module, there will be running to it from the firewall, a 12G red wire which supplies 12volts (its the only large red wire there). Cut it at the Duraspark module, splice more 12G red wire onto it to reach the H.E.I. This replaces the old coil wire which you can remove and eliminates any resistors. For neatness, I purchased a distributor pigtail. Regap the plugs, retime the engine 10-12 BTDC. The system works great. I spent most of my time pulling out old wires, stuffing the new power wire into the loom, and making things look neat.
Shawn Watson likes this.

I only need the tools that I can't find.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-02-2020, 06:31 AM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

^^^Indeed^^^ Easy peasy.

Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in