Headlight relay parts and drawing (or kit) - JeepForum.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 06-20-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
CJKevin1978
1984 CJ7 

Headlight relay parts and drawing (or kit)

I went for an extended(into the evening) Blue Ridge Parkway run a few days ago and noticed that my headlight performance is not very impressive. I have read a little about adding a relay to increase the voltage. I am assuming that this is taking a relatively large gauge wire the headlight area and letting the old wire activate a relay that connects to the lamps. So, if its been done or if there is a kit then I'd be interested in seeing the parts required so I don't make things harder than they need to be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 06-20-2018, 04:22 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

There's plenty of info on this upgrade available, if you do a little searching.

Here's the thread I did on it.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/je...ation-2130225/

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 57 Old 06-20-2018, 05:19 PM
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I used Daniel Stern as well, so, what Matt said!

1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains

post #4 of 57 Old 06-20-2018, 05:38 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Although I haven't installed it yet, I picked up this harness two weeks ago. Good quality, Hella relays and fully enclosed in a loom. And not that expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although I've read some great things about Daniel Stern's gear, thought I'd try amazon first-

Hoov
cjoffroad and ffdeng5 like this.

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #5 of 57 Old 06-20-2018, 07:08 PM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

It's a pretty easy install and a major improvement. The kits are nice and clean, but it's pretty straightforward to do a full DIY harness. A while back, i remember seeing that some Cadillacs have 2 relays on a mounting bracket that work well (IIRC that was Jeephammer's suggestion). However you go about it, I would also suggest running dedicated grounds from the headlights to the battery (or to a dedicated ground bar with direct connection to the battery). Once you do the relay upgrade, you also have the option of jumping the low beam circuit at the dimmer switch with the power going into the dimmer. This will leave the low beams on when the brights are turned on and also give you low beams in the event of a dimmer switch malfunction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal
post #6 of 57 Old 06-20-2018, 07:33 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Did that harness actually come with Hella branded relays? They look like what we always called Bosch style relays but Hella makes relays too and the real ones are very high quality and expensive too.

Some Ford cars and trucks are a very good source for Bosch style relays. They are Ford branded but are very high quality and have the standard Bosch pinouts if you get the correct ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post
Although I haven't installed it yet, I picked up this harness two weeks ago. Good quality, Hella relays and fully enclosed in a loom. And not that expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although I've read some great things about Daniel Stern's gear, thought I'd try amazon first-

Hoov
post #7 of 57 Old 06-20-2018, 07:59 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post
Did that harness actually come with Hella branded relays? They look like what we always called Bosch style relays but Hella makes relays too and the real ones are very high quality and expensive too.
I certainly don't know how to tell real Hella relays from counterfeits, but the packaging for the amazon harness looked to be bonafide Hella, and the relays themselves have the Hella logo printed above the wiring diagram. From the amazon images and price, I was expecting a low to mid quality harness, but was pleasantly surprised when I opened the package.

Having said all this, I still have yet to install it. However, optimism is high for a big improvement.

Hoov

post #8 of 57 Old 06-20-2018, 08:00 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Forgot to attach the image-

Hoov

post #9 of 57 Old 06-20-2018, 11:37 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Wow...those definitely say Hella. The picture on Amazon is different. I wonder if they sent you the "wrong" part? If they are real Hella brand relays, you did really well. The only thing I do not like is that they are not the standard Bosch style 5 pin relays that you can get for free at the junkyard I like to have a couple in my Jeep just in case. My Mustang 5.0 EFI swap uses the same relay for the fuel pump and when it was hanging upside-down from the wiring harness and I got it wet while degreasing the engine, it quit on me the next day. Luckily I knew that I had gotten the relay wet and was able to use the A/C cutout relay in its place as it is the same part. Having things easily replaceable and having spares is a good thing...not getting the relay in the first place is even better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post

Forgot to attach the image-

Hoov

post #10 of 57 Old 06-21-2018, 05:33 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Another vote for Daniel Stern relays and wiring set. Makes a world of difference when driving at night with my old eyes. Should have done a relay upgrade 30 years ago when I bought the Jeep in 84', but what the heck did we know back then when wheeling and chasing woman are the only things on our mind and there was no such thing as the internet and Jeep forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Electricals (30).jpg  

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #11 of 57 Old 06-21-2018, 05:40 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

FYI, Daniel Stern uses Susquehanna Motorsports in PA. to build his harnesses. You can order directly from them and save some $$.

Matt
258 likes this.

post #12 of 57 Old 06-21-2018, 06:35 AM
farmboy999
1985 CJ7 

i bought those exact same relays from the exact same seller and posted a while back that i was shocked when the box and parts said Hella. The amazon add showed some asian companay name. I figured for the price it was worth a shot. Amazing difference when upgrading to Ecode lights at the same time. It was literally plug and play and the hardest part was waiting for it to get dark so I could see if there was a difference! WOW.

My box was kinda banged up and there were no instructions so it could have been a liquidation item or return ( or maybe a counterfeit). But hey..they work great.
post #13 of 57 Old 06-21-2018, 07:02 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Those Hella relays remind me of solid state relays instead of the conventional coil and armature relay.

post #14 of 57 Old 06-21-2018, 07:06 AM
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

That is a great price for Hella. Jump on it. Far better deal than what I spent (twice) at Susquehanna Motorsports. Just be sure the wire is correct gauge.
post #15 of 57 Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 AM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
I decided to just make my own (even though Susquehanna M.S. is about 45 minutes from me) since it's a pretty straight forward project and I had some of the parts laying around already. I've seen these go for $35 to $165. I wouldn't recommend the $35 ones since I'm not sure how it's even possible without being all low quality parts, since I have about $60 in one, not including some of the parts I had already!

. I used gray 14ga. for the trigger wire from the factory gray wiring to the headlights (black tape to mark the high beam stripe), yellow for low beam, blue for high beams (like the dash indicator), and black for ground. Then a red 10ga. (12ga would work) to feed the main post breaker. Then red 12ga. to each relay.
5- rolls of diff. colored wire (3-12ga, 1-10ga, and 1-14ga)
Some 3/8” convoluted tubing (wire loom)
2- 30amp weatherproof relay’s (should come with terminals)
2- 20amp auto re-setting breakers (type-1 cycling) spade type (Bussman BP/UCB-20-RP)
1- 30amp auto re-setting breaker (type- 1 cycling) post type with mounting bracket (Bussman CBC-30HB)
Some misc. crimping terminals (female spade and ring)
1- male 3-prong headlight connector
2- female 3-prong headlight connectors

Lay out your parts. I left the longer wires long until I routed things on the vehicle. The short wires between lights were 42” long.

Once the lengths and layout is determined you can start terminating the wire ends. After I crimped them I used solder. Laying out the wires also helps you orient the connector positions before crimping.

John Strenk likes this.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in