Head and manifold bolt suggestions - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-31-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
HildeCJ7

Head and manifold bolt suggestions

I have my 1980 cj7 4.2 head in the machine shop and looking for suggestions for new head and manifold bolts. Seems like the 1980 takes 1/2” head bolts. I’m ditching the smog pump, as I’m putting in the Howell system. Can I just use a regular head bolt in place or the one that was threaded to except the smog pump bracket?

A friend who runs a muffler shop advised that the washers on the intake bolts were important as they were hardened and tie the two manifold tight together. Any issue reusing these? I see quaddratec offers a engine bolt kit that includes manifold bolts They seem like they have a wider head and no washer. Thanks for any insight!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-31-2020, 05:54 PM
redfin188t

1982 CJ7 

I just completed the job of replacing my exhaust manifold this past week, my engine block has studs. I wish I would have replaced the studs with manifold bolts. The washers are important and should be used in conjunction with the bolts.

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday. Navy Seal
post #3 of 8 Old 01-01-2021, 06:25 AM
weapon
1983 CJ7 

I know it is overkill but I was tired of my oem bolts loosening so I bit the bullet and went with locking stage 8's. Think it was $50 but they have never backed out.

https://www.stage8.com/
baldfatdad likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-01-2021, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
HildeCJ7

Yeah, my manifold bolts were not tight at all, in fact one back out by hand. If I call, would the stage 8 guys have a kit available for the 4.2?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2021, 09:10 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

the locking intake bolts are a waste on the inline iron heads. its not the bolt that is backing off as much as its the gasket collapsing due to pretty much being a paper/cardboard gasket. from the cycling of heating up and cooling down. the gasket says no need to retorque but i still do it like we did years ago. its a good idea to retorque once a year.

as for the washers they are important to have the correct ones. they are thick and have a bell shape to them. this is for the tightening the manifolds evenly. the two manifolds arent always the same thickness and the bell shape lets it rock and pull the both evenly.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/omix-ada...-jeep-vehicles

for bolts all i have ever used is grade 8 bolts. the use of the two studs one on each end of the head is to hold the exhaust manifold on while mounting the two to the head. they also get a special washer because the casting isnt even.

oldschool
post #6 of 8 Old 01-02-2021, 07:56 AM
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HildeCJ7 View Post
Yeah, my manifold bolts were not tight at all, in fact one back out by hand. If I call, would the stage 8 guys have a kit available for the 4.2?
yes. it is a pretty standard kit and overkill but once I put mine on, I have not had to tighten them again. I think due to the configuration one of the tabs does not reach a touch point. I would have to go look. Make sure you save you oem washers.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-02-2021, 10:17 AM
Horatio
1980 CJ7 

Following... I'm going through the same thing now. Can't find a complete set of bolts for the head that are sold as a kit for an '80. I'm considering re-using what I have, but I'm pretty sure they've been torqued a couple times at least (evident from a newer looking felpro head gasket upon disassembly). There's folks out there that say I can continue to reuse the same head bolts, while others say to replace them and never reuse them. Also, can anyone tell me why there is a difference in the head bolts? Some are regular looking bolts, while others appear to be more like studs with a nut.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-02-2021, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
HildeCJ7

I only had one that was a stud. Front driver. That is where the smog pump bracket hung. I’m losing the smog pump for the Howell TBI. Thinking a regular head bolt could go there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in