Harmonic Balancer wont come off - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 08-29-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
calebsoldcj7

Harmonic Balancer wont come off

Just bought an AMC 304 and am currently in the process of replacing the cam and the timing chain/sprockets. The harmonic balancer is stuck and not budging. I have the chicken foot tool, using only two sides because it is a 4 bolt balancer, and even with an impact it has not moved. I put the crank bolt back in and pushed off of that with the tool, thinking that i might be pushing off of the balancer itself. with a breaker bar it is just spinning, and eventually it just bends my puller tool.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-29-2019, 01:58 PM
jjgrow
1986 CJ7 

Here's a couple of things that might be helpful:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...er-sbc.509163/

- Jeff

1986 CJ-7
post #3 of 27 Old 08-29-2019, 02:12 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Try shooting some penetrating oil in the balancer bore. PB Blaster seems to work well for me.

post #4 of 27 Old 08-29-2019, 03:51 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

kroil penetrant, leave the bolt started in so it doesn't jump off onto the floor and snug the puller up good and go inside and have a few beverages. When you come back in an hour, likely that it had popped off. Just give it time and don't rush it. Always try to push against the bolt so you don't mess up the threads in the crank. Also, you did get the washer off after you pulled the bolt out? That can sometimes hang you up if you aren't pushing against the bolt head.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #5 of 27 Old 08-29-2019, 05:50 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Also, you did get the washer off after you pulled the bolt out? That can sometimes hang you up if you aren't pushing against the bolt head.
That would be a good reason for it not to come off even if you dumped a gallon of penetrating oil on it.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-29-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
calebsoldcj7

Just shot some in, going to let it soak in tonight
post #7 of 27 Old 08-29-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
calebsoldcj7

Yes, i actually went back in thinking i forgot the washer, but its out. Leaving it tightened with pb blaster tonight will update tomorrow morning.
post #8 of 27 Old 08-29-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
calebsoldcj7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
That would be a good reason for it not to come off even if you dumped a gallon of penetrating oil on it.
Quote:
kroil penetrant, leave the bolt started in so it doesn't jump off onto the floor and snug the puller up good and go inside and have a few beverages. When you come back in an hour, likely that it had popped off. Just give it time and don't rush it. Always try to push against the bolt so you don't mess up the threads in the crank. Also, you did get the washer off after you pulled the bolt out? That can sometimes hang you up if you aren't pushing against the bolt head.
Also, the harmonic balancer bolt came off very easily which surprised me. I went to retighten it, and it tightened up a little bit, and then got loose again, as if it was stripped. The threads look fine however, is this a sign that there might be something wrong with the crank? Like the harmonic balancer bolt barely gets tighter then finger tight before getting loose again.
post #9 of 27 Old 08-29-2019, 11:00 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebsoldcj7 View Post
Also, the harmonic balancer bolt came off very easily which surprised me. I went to retighten it, and it tightened up a little bit, and then got loose again, as if it was stripped. The threads look fine however, is this a sign that there might be something wrong with the crank? Like the harmonic balancer bolt barely gets tighter then finger tight before getting loose again.
Oh man I hate when that happens. How long is the bolt? Wonder if the previous owner stripped some of the crank threads trying to install the balancer with a bolt. Wonder if he installed the balancer with a bunch of locktite because the threads are screwed. Just speculating.
post #10 of 27 Old 08-29-2019, 11:18 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Possible stripped bolt aside:

Try tightening up the puller till it feels like you're going to break something. Take a sledge hammer and dead blow the puller bolt. Most times this will "pop" the balancer off. Be sure you have the bolt and washer on there or it's possible to turn the balancer into a projectile.

Also a good technique for removing rear axle hubs.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #11 of 27 Old 08-30-2019, 06:54 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Quote:
Oh man I hate when that happens. How long is the bolt? Wonder if the previous owner stripped some of the crank threads trying to install the balancer with a bolt. Wonder if he installed the balancer with a bunch of locktite because the threads are screwed. Just speculating.
Stripped crank bolt threads are frustrating, had the same thing happen on my 258 year before last. I ended up drilling and re-tapping the threads, and using a longer replacement bolt. Although I suspect the new threads aren't as strong, the bolt and balance have remained in place. Thanks for again your help on that one, 80cj.

As for removing the balance, I also had issues. In addition to all the good recommendations you've gotten so far, another thing that may help is ensuring that the threaded portion of the puller (where is passes through the duckfoot) is well oiled. I found that mine (made in china) was binding there, and oiling made it work much better.

Best,
Hoover

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #12 of 27 Old 08-30-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
calebsoldcj7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Possible stripped bolt aside:

Try tightening up the puller till it feels like you're going to break something. Take a sledge hammer and dead blow the puller bolt. Most times this will "pop" the balancer off. Be sure you have the bolt and washer on there or it's possible to turn the balancer into a projectile.

Also a good technique for removing rear axle hubs.
Just did that, its just bending the puller, is it possible that i may need a nicer/stronger puller? If so which do you recommend?
post #13 of 27 Old 08-30-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
calebsoldcj7

Quote:
Quote:
Its now the next morning and it sill hasnt budged. Its been soaking in PB, ive started to wail on the end of the puller with a hammer and then tighten then wail again then tighten. The puller is starting to bend, maybe i need a better stronger puller?
post #14 of 27 Old 08-30-2019, 09:30 AM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Might be time for a new crank.

Rebuild the motor!
post #15 of 27 Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Its now the next morning and it sill hasnt budged. Its been soaking in PB, ive started to wail on the end of the puller with a hammer and then tighten then wail again then tighten. The puller is starting to bend, maybe i need a better stronger puller?
How good is your puller? Maybe rent a really heavy duty one. something that has a thick forcing screw with fine threads. As for the bolt in the crank get a short one about 3/4" long and drill a dimple in the center of the head to help center the puller. Make sure the bolt is bottomed out against the head in the crank before you start pulling. Grease the threads on the puller and have at it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in