Hardtop Help Needed - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-18-2021, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
leagleagle

Hardtop Help Needed

Hardtop problems...

I picked up a YJ top...at least what I think was a YJ top and I think it is but I can't get it to fit my CJ7. It does have latches in the front (so does my CJ windshield) but they appear to be latches that maybe someone added. They are skinny steel latches. The top also has the metal strip for attaching to the windshield. That makes me think it is a YJ top.

The tub and top line up good and the windshield seems to line up pretty good front to back, but the top is an inch or more too high above the windshield rather than even coming close to seating on it.

Anyone had this issue and what in the world is the problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-18-2021, 09:37 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

It's been discussed many times here and elsewhere.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/y...ion-cj-506688/

I'm not sure what problems you are having at the windshield frame. Pictures would help. The biggest problem with using a YJ top on a CJ is the rear hatch and tailgate configuration is different.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 10-18-2021, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
leagleagle

Thanks Matt.

I have searched the forums and found a couple of threads that seemed to have the same issue, but never a solution. I'm going to see if I can get the windshield forward more and see if that solves the problem. Here's a stupid question...the top of the windshield sits where on the hardtop? There is a seal/rubber piece in the top at one point across, is that where it needs to be sitting?

post #4 of 5 Old 10-18-2021, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
leagleagle

One thing I have learned, it looks like the latches that are on the top are the same as the quick kits that can be bought.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-18-2021, 10:06 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

I would have to see pics of what you are dealing with, as I've never tried to install a YJ top on a CJ.

It would also help to know what year CJ and what year YJ top you have.

Here's a few pics of how a CJ top fits on a '80s CJ., if that helps you.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
HardtopInstall2.jpg   HardtopInstall1.jpg  
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in