1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Old 09-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDCOR3 View Post
Video of under body, not that great but something,..
The main thing I took from the video is that it looks like the underside of the Jeep was sprayed with an undercoating or black paint that is peeling off. I suspect this was a typical attempt to cover up problems in the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. I saw some rust in the usual areas but it wasn't possible to tell exactly how bad it was. It would be safe to assume that you have problems in at least the usual places, if not more.

"I give you a republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 09-02-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
HARDCOR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage-payer View Post
I'd start by pulling the tub off (harder than it sounds) and blasting away the nature scene with crushed glass.

The you see what you are up against rust wise.
It's just a wrap in little sheets. Its already peeling so would be easy to peel off.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

When you start taking things off your Jeep, factory parts in particular treat them like they're no longer made because they're not. Like the fender flares. Yours look good and unless they're messed up you can use them on the different tub, if you go that route. The aftermarket flares are not as well made as factory and that applies to allot of aftermarket stuff. You chose a good example in Ken in how to go about your project and I'm sure he'll be the first to tell you he had to learn new skills, as we all have, to get things done.

The video does show some problems. I just thought of something. You want to keep your CJ running and not tear it all down, correct. Well if that tub is a bad as it could be then a YJ tub is a good choice. Sounds like you have a place to work, excellent! Now what about getting a tub and making it ready for your Jeep. Keep driving it while working on the new tub and get it all ready then you're down time is just the actual swap. Sounds like you've got some ambition and are willing to learn, I like that!

Oh and what state are you from? You may be close to a fellow member that can help you out some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 21 Old 09-02-2016, 11:44 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

Oh yeah, that's gonna be alot of work. Your Dad wants it back on the road asap so a new tub it is. That's alot more work than just a little sheetmetal here or there. Go new tub and drive. Make sure the rear portion of the frame is ok

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
post #20 of 21 Old 09-02-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
HARDCOR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
When you start taking things off your Jeep, factory parts in particular treat them like they're no longer made because they're not. Like the fender flares. Yours look good and unless they're messed up you can use them on the different tub, if you go that route. The aftermarket flares are not as well made as factory and that applies to allot of aftermarket stuff. You chose a good example in Ken in how to go about your project and I'm sure he'll be the first to tell you he had to learn new skills, as we all have, to get things done.

The video does show some problems. I just thought of something. You want to keep your CJ running and not tear it all down, correct. Well if that tub is a bad as it could be then a YJ tub is a good choice. Sounds like you have a place to work, excellent! Now what about getting a tub and making it ready for your Jeep. Keep driving it while working on the new tub and get it all ready then you're down time is just the actual swap. Sounds like you've got some ambition and are willing to learn, I like that!

Oh and what state are you from? You may be close to a fellow member that can help you out some.
Yeah I'll be careful, I won't start taking it apart for a couple day. Got school and little work to deal with, also looking the web for some parts too. I'll have to keep an eye out for a yj tub, have talked to couple people on a other forum near me that have a CJ7 tub for sale. Idk condition yet, but only YJ tub I have seen is $2000+. But it was brand new with fresh paint and other parts. haha, I live in Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
post #21 of 21 Old 09-02-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
HARDCOR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
Oh yeah, that's gonna be alot of work. Your Dad wants it back on the road asap so a new tub it is. That's alot more work than just a little sheetmetal here or there. Go new tub and drive. Make sure the rear portion of the frame is ok
My bad, my Dad wants it to be mostly original parts, he wants it very clean and like show ready. That's how his old Jeep is currently, CJ5 EVERY THING is original. It sits in a show room and hasn't been driven in couple years. It's the 25th Anniversary. I want to get mine on the road but I don't mind some extra work to make it good. Since I am 15 and have 2 years till I can drive.

Tags
cj , jeep , project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in