2Likes
  • 1 Post By Axhammer
  • 1 Post By Axhammer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-26-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Hard top paint job in 2019, anything new?

I need to paint my new baby's hard top and I've searched the forum and webs to find a few options; roll on and spray dip.

I'm curious if there have been any new product released specifically for the hard top or new methods tossed out there that improved on those processes.

If the roll on (which I'm likely going to do) is the option, then so be it and is there a better product out now for this. I'm aiming for that flat look and not glossy.

Thank you for the input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-27-2019, 02:53 AM
Axhammer

2017 JK Wrangler 

Roll it if you want the OEM textured look. If you want the flat color look, then apply flat paint. You can buy a flattening agent and mix it with gloss to get the level of flatness you want, or you can try semi-gloss. You can also sand the fiberglass smooth, and go for a gloss look, to match the body paint like the new Jeeps being manufactured. I just painted my new lift-gate to match my old white hardtop. I used oil based white enamel paint from Tractor supply, and a $1 foam roller from Dollar tree, and it looks good to me. It took three coats to get the white paint to cover the black electric coat primer. After I repaint my entire Jeep with the OEM red color, I’ll probably repaint the entire hardtop/lift gate so it all matches with a fresh appearance.
uw91 likes this.

1985 CJ-7 258 Red paint Hardtop Steel doors “Time Traveler”
2017 JKU SAHARA Silver Black Hardtop
post #3 of 13 Old 06-27-2019, 03:32 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Rolling w/ a semi-gloss or satin gives the best overall finish, and has the added benefit of being easiest and cheapest route.

Ax gives good advice, foam rollers are your friend, and do a few coats.

For the love of all things, please do NOT sand it smooth and paint to match. They look horrible like that.

Good luck (and post up some pics when you are done)!

Hoss

If you had to choose between World Peace and a Jeep, what size tires would you run?

post #4 of 13 Old 06-27-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
No way would I sand it and paint to match, ew, not a chance. I'm looking for the stain/flat/matte black and hope to find the perfect paint.

I'll for sure do the roller option and coat it up a few times.

Are there any new paints out that are best for this... or a tried and true brand/type of paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Rolling w/ a semi-gloss or satin gives the best overall finish, and has the added benefit of being easiest and cheapest route.

Ax gives good advice, foam rollers are your friend, and do a few coats.

For the love of all things, please do NOT sand it smooth and paint to match. They look horrible like that.

Good luck (and post up some pics when you are done)!

Hoss
post #5 of 13 Old 06-28-2019, 06:11 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I tried rolling on Tractor Supply paint, but I wasn't happy with the finished product. It dried with visible streaking. It also wasn't very durable. My power washer caused it to flake off around sharp edges.

So, I went to Sherwin Williams Auto and picked up a 2-part paint specifically designed for fiberglass toppers. It required a regular spray gun and a compressor. It went on much more consistently than roll-on, and it's proven more durable, too.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
TopperPrep.jpg   TopperInside1.jpg  
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 Old 06-28-2019, 08:26 AM
Axhammer

2017 JK Wrangler 

That looks very nice, and everyone knows how important prep work is when it comes to painting. What kind of paint was it? Two part what?.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-28-2019, 11:06 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
That looks very nice, and everyone knows how important prep work is when it comes to painting. What kind of paint was it? Two part what?.
I was afraid you were going to ask that. I've forgotten the brand name. I just asked for a paint that was specifically formulated for fiberglass toppers. They had a product that is used on restoration of Chevy vehicles with fiberglass tops, like old Blazers. It came with a separate hardening agent that you mixed with the paint. That's what I used on the exterior of my hard top, in black.

On the interior I used the same Ultra One Urethane paint that I used to paint the tub of my CJ, in Olympic White. It's the same line of paint used on fleet vehicles, so it's extremely durable, but pricey.

You are correct, prep work is key. I scuffed the entire top with steel wool, then cleaned it well before spraying. Masking off the windows actually took the most time. I know roll-on is easier, but there's no comparison to a sprayed on finish, IMO.

Matt

post #8 of 13 Old 06-28-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Great info! Thank you.

I was in an auto paint supply shop and they didn't have anything specific like you mentioned, but they did have something that got my curiosity;

Raptor bed liner

You can either get a kit to roll it on or spray it on with a compressor and gun. I found a link to someone that did this and it looks pretty dang good. not as thick as rhino lining but apparently just as durable. I'm thinking the spray option is the best.

As for taping.... screw blue tape! hate putting that stuff on.

Thank you so much for the follow-up, I'll check out to see if I can track the stuff down, though I'm really looking at this raptor stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I was afraid you were going to ask that. I've forgotten the brand name. I just asked for a paint that was specifically formulated for fiberglass toppers. They had a product that is used on restoration of Chevy vehicles with fiberglass tops, like old Blazers. It came with a separate hardening agent that you mixed with the paint. That's what I used on the exterior of my hard top, in black.

On the interior I used the same Ultra One Urethane paint that I used to paint the tub of my CJ, in Olympic White. It's the same line of paint used on fleet vehicles, so it's extremely durable, but pricey.

You are correct, prep work is key. I scuffed the entire top with steel wool, then cleaned it well before spraying. Masking off the windows actually took the most time. I know roll-on is easier, but there's no comparison to a sprayed on finish, IMO.

Matt
post #9 of 13 Old 06-28-2019, 04:00 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Just MHO, but raptor is a product designed to put a textured finish on something.

Your HT is already textured, and needs paint, not a coating.

Just stick with paint. Weather you roll (which is totally doable) or spray, a good product is your best bet.

Hoss

If you had to choose between World Peace and a Jeep, what size tires would you run?
post #10 of 13 Old 06-28-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
I talked to SW and they said the 2 parter is 'Genesis' model (or whatever) of paint. Sounds like I need to get the LV3, which isn't the flattest, but one up from a matte finish.

Linky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
post #11 of 13 Old 06-29-2019, 10:02 AM
Axhammer

2017 JK Wrangler 

Paint technology has advanced in the timeframe since When I used to do a lot of automotive refinishing. I know there are special paints for rubberized parts that flex a lot. As far as special paints for fiberglass goes, my old school suggestion would be epoxy, but there are probably many options I don’t know of due to my lack of activity in this specialized field in addition to EPA requirements, that didn't exist back when I was more active in painting cars & airplanes. As far as rolling paint verse spraying it, I’ll stand behind my original suggestion to roll the paint when it’s a rough surface like a CJ hard top. There are different rollers and techniques that can be used to achieve acceptable results. When you are finished using the roller, just throw it away after the paint has cured, it’s a heck of a lot easier than cleaning a paint gun before the paint cures, and ruins it.
uw91 likes this.

post #12 of 13 Old 07-16-2019, 04:59 PM
BubbaCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Matt, I know this is off topic but does your winch cover block your radiator enough to cause a temp increase?

B
post #13 of 13 Old 07-16-2019, 07:19 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaCJ7 View Post
Matt, I know this is off topic but does your winch cover block your radiator enough to cause a temp increase?
Never. I took it for a 75 mile spin 2 days ago, in 90 degree heat, and it never got above 195.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in