Hard Top Color Suggestions - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By 80cj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-15-2020, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
JeepinGeo

Hard Top Color Suggestions

To be honest, this is a thread for us to have a little fun in. I'm asking for anyone and everyone's input on what color to paint my hardtop.

I posted my 77 CJ5 Bestop soft top for sale. It's in great condition and kit-complete. Within an hour, I had someone message me about a 100% EVEN trade for their black ACME hardtop and doors. I have been looking for a hardtop forever, and this one was in great shape - good glass, seals, no leaks, etc - Everything I could ask for. *Attached is a picture of my Jeep*. It's a unique brown; at least you don't see that color around my town. Take a look at it. NOW I realize black is ALWAYS a go-to color of choice, but since I am repainting/resurfacing the top anyway with high-quality paint, I'd love some input on what other color, colors, or design ya'll think might look good. One day I'd like to repaint the Jeep too, but that's not urgent. Thank you all in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
20190811_194207_1600226177456.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-15-2020, 09:28 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
White would look good with the brown color and keep the interior cooler, maybe paint the wheels white too
to tie it together.

If you do paint the tub what color are you thinking?

Whats over that next ridge?
post #3 of 9 Old 09-15-2020, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
JeepinGeo

Hey 4Low2Go. Here in Florida it does get hot. If I did white, I think an off-white would look good. In the future I plan on some polished Mickey Thompson rims and when I repaint the Jeep, likely a Columbia-blue, seafoam green, or very light mint color. I'm fond of it because I live near the beach. I'll let you know what I go with. Does it typically get hot inside the cab with the top on? It makes sense.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 12:12 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I agree with 4low... white on the HT and wheels, same white (not off-white)

Black is waaaaay played out , IMHO.

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #5 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 02:33 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, I think White HT with Blue would go nice.
I had a Samurai with that color combination and everyone liked it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #6 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 02:50 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGeo View Post
Hey 4Low2Go. Here in Florida it does get hot. If I did white, I think an off-white would look good. In the future I plan on some polished Mickey Thompson rims and when I repaint the Jeep, likely a Columbia-blue, seafoam green, or very light mint color. I'm fond of it because I live near the beach. I'll let you know what I go with. Does it typically get hot inside the cab with the top on? It makes sense.
I only have some floor mats in the front and a rubber liner in the bed, even in winter here when it is cold my Jeep does get hot inside, summer I run no top and a bikini to keep the sun off my head.

I think if you go with the blue, green or mint the white top and polished wheels will look good.
as for the shade of white there are many, one of the best looking is a pastel white used by VW on
Vanagons from the late 80's IMHO.

I'd add a pinstripe in a darker shade of the color you choose on the body and maybe a little on the top
to tie it all together. Something like Royal with the Columbia etc.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #7 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 04:59 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I think a light matte tan would look good if there is a textured paint that would be good.
Jim1611 and bob4703 like this.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 07:48 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I was originally going to paint my hardtop black to match the one I bought new in 1986. After picking up a used white hardtop, and running it for a while, the white kinda grew in me, but the top & surface finish is looking old and beat up. I’m kinda toying with the idea of spraying some Zolatone on my hardtop. Zolatone is a splatter paint similar to trunk paint, but it is water based and super tough once applied. I painted a Toyota truck with it in the “gray stone”color. It was a popular color on aluminum fishing boats in Alaska, similar to a bare aluminum color, but being a splatter paint it camouflages defects and or just kinda blends in and looks good. I figure a light color would look good and cut down on the heat in the summer.

It is available in many colors, and when applied correctly it has a nice even texture to it. It’s really a great produce for the right application.
Attached Thumbnails
88292134-D9CD-4217-90FD-F1D78F379944.jpg   51672A0E-F9AF-40FB-AA12-6F1545CE9F70.jpg   FE2AE8BF-DD5D-4D48-B397-02ED4C473169.jpg  

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #9 of 9 Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
JeepinGeo

I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks Axhammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in