Hard to shift from 4 low to 4 high - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-06-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
AKMTNMAN
1984 CJ8 

Hard to shift from 4 low to 4 high

I am new to Jeep Forum and somewhat new to Jeeps in general. I just bought a 1984 jeep CJ8 Alaska Postal. It has a few issues and I have a handle on most of them. But I am having trouble when shifting out of 4 low to 4 high and back. I have to force it HARD. Some times I can take it out of park to reverse and back to park and it will then shift from 4 low to 4 high, but I still have to put a little force behind it. Then it is just as hard to get back to 4 low. Can anyone out there give a starting point or two. It has a strait 6 and three speed auto Trans and dana 300 transfer case, it will run thru the gears from park thru R,N, D1, D2, D3 and back like butter. but shifting anywhere between 4 low and high is a chore. PLEASE HELP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-07-2019, 12:33 AM
Pathfinder33
1983 CJ7 

My Dana 300 was hard to shift when I first picked it up from the PO. I found that I had a leak on the output shaft, and that a bunch of fluid had drained out. Once it was topped off with fluid it shifts like a dream. I would check with the fluid level first. This case is a gear on gear case, and if there is no lube, and the gears get hot, they can be a chore to shift from one to the other.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-07-2019, 01:43 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMTNMAN View Post
I am new to Jeep Forum and somewhat new to Jeeps in general. I just bought a 1984 jeep CJ8 Alaska Postal. It has a few issues and I have a handle on most of them. But I am having trouble when shifting out of 4 low to 4 high and back. I have to force it HARD. Some times I can take it out of park to reverse and back to park and it will then shift from 4 low to 4 high, but I still have to put a little force behind it. Then it is just as hard to get back to 4 low. Can anyone out there give a starting point or two. It has a strait 6 and three speed auto Trans and dana 300 transfer case, it will run thru the gears from park thru R,N, D1, D2, D3 and back like butter. but shifting anywhere between 4 low and high is a chore. PLEASE HELP.
Does the tranfer case grind when you have difficulty? What happens if you put the trans in neutral?

post #4 of 16 Old 09-07-2019, 06:29 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's sometimes a bit tricky with the automatic. To go into 4 low, I need to roll about 5mph, drop to neutral, then pull it in.

To come out I have to full stop, put it in park, and shift. The reason is, I believe, that even in neutral there is a little tendency for the tailshaft to still be turning, moving to park prevents that.

But I still prefer that over the newer electric controlled shifting. All kinds of problems with those

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #5 of 16 Old 09-07-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
AKMTNMAN
1984 CJ8 

The fluid level does not seem to be the problem. Thank you for response that makes one thing I can eliminate.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-07-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
AKMTNMAN
1984 CJ8 

There is no grinding and it does not matter if it is in park or neutral. If I put it in gear for a second, and then back to neutral it will then shift into 4 low or out of 4 low.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-07-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
AKMTNMAN
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
It's sometimes a bit tricky with the automatic. To go into 4 low, I need to roll about 5mph, drop to neutral, then pull it in.

To come out I have to full stop, put it in park, and shift. The reason is, I believe, that even in neutral there is a little tendency for the tailshaft to still be turning, moving to park prevents that.

But I still prefer that over the newer electric controlled shifting. All kinds of problems with those
Thanks for the info I will try your slow roll trick and see if it works. I am at work for the next few days then go strait into a three week moose hunting trip, I will try it as soon as I get back from the hunt and I will let you know if it works. Thanks again.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-08-2019, 04:55 AM
skizriz

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post

Same way i do it with my Dana18. Never any problems going back to high again. I just do it at a little higher speed.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-08-2019, 02:46 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Stop-And back up 10-15 feet to release the torque bind on the driveline.
Do this in a straight line-no turn'n etc.
LG

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
post #10 of 16 Old 09-09-2019, 07:51 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

They are like that.

There is no synchro and you do not pass through neutral, so you are fighting all the forces in the driveline. As Lg says, back u a bit and work it, eventually it will slot in. The very lest you should do is go to neutral on the transmission whilst you are shifting the transfer box.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #11 of 16 Old 09-09-2019, 08:26 AM
smbundy13

1980 CJ7 

twin sticks.. shifts like butter... easy to install and totally worth it

1980 CJ-7 Alpaca Brown 4.2L, SR4
2.5" lift, Method Con6's, Weber 38, DUI HEI, Painless Harness
post #12 of 16 Old 09-09-2019, 05:15 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Under what conditions are you going into 4Lo or 4Hi? It should only be on dirt or gravel. It's not intended for hard surface roads.

The ratio from front to back is the same...but not the same. Because of minor differences in tire diameter, one axle may turn more or less than the other. After a few hundred feet, there could be enough difference to case the front and rear axles to be under tension....which would explain one reason for the hard shifting.

One way to confirm this is the issue....open up your front hubs. If it's easy after that, then you know what the problem is.
Cutlass327 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Unlock hubs, move it a couple feet, and try it. That should do the same as the reversing. I usually just put light pressure on the shifter in the direction I want it to go, and since I am on soft ground, pop the clutch real quick to get tire spin, that unbinds it and the lever moves.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-10-2019, 05:23 PM
gmellison
1983 CJ8 

Our Dana 300s don’t shift well under any load. Without synchromesh you have to help them mesh. Do this by providing a little movement to all three shafts. Coasting a bit rolling all four and sometimes adding a little input from the transmission, I let out the clutch just a bit to help but in auto you shouldn’t have an issue in neutral. Don’t try to shift on a hill or with a load bound up on the drivetrain. I hope this helps and good job snagging a poastal!
post #15 of 16 Old 09-12-2019, 04:08 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Kind of keep in mind that the process is somewhat different between manual and automatic. There is advice above for both, follow the examples depending on which you have.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in