Hand throttle - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-11-2020, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hand throttle

I have been giving some thought to rigging a hand throttle up and want to ideas, pros and cons. What do you folks think?
Thanks
Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-11-2020, 11:52 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think it could come in handy on some tricky wheeling situations, Jim.

Doing the old brake/throttle with one foot and clutch with the other takes some practice. I can do it, but not very well. A hand throttle would help in those situations, I think.

Matt

post #3 of 21 Old 02-11-2020, 12:36 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

They can be handy, more so with a carb. But, your 5.0 with the IAC motor should do a decent job of increasing the idle when starting out on a hill and slipping out the clutch when still lightly on the brake. With 4.10's a t-18 and only 32" tires, you would need to be on a stopped pretty steep hill to need much additional rpm to get moving again. I did a quick look and didn't see an immediate answer, but you should be able to ground the correct pin in the wiring harness to make the computer think that the a/c compressor is on and that will kick you up to a higher idle.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

post #4 of 21 Old 02-11-2020, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I think it could come in handy on some tricky wheeling situations, Jim.

Doing the old brake/throttle with one foot and clutch with the other takes some practice. I can do it, but not very well. A hand throttle would help in those situations, I think.

Matt
My reason for thinking of this was on my way to a customer this morning I always stop by a boat ramp/access are to look around. The ramp is very steep and I thought of sometime putting a canoe in at that spot and it will most likely be from my CJ. The pedal dance here might get interesting or even water logged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
They can be handy, more so with a carb. But, your 5.0 with the IAC motor should do a decent job of increasing the idle when starting out on a hill and slipping out the clutch when still lightly on the brake. With 4.10's a t-18 and only 32" tires, you would need to be on a stopped pretty steep hill to need much additional rpm to get moving again. I did a quick look and didn't see an immediate answer, but you should be able to ground the correct pin in the wiring harness to make the computer think that the a/c compressor is on and that will kick you up to a higher idle.
Had'nt thought of that of that. Thanks

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #5 of 21 Old 02-11-2020, 01:57 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Sure you can do it electronically, but where is the fun in that?

Everyone needs an additional lever connected to that 4 speed anti theft device.
Attached Thumbnails
Throttle Control Steering wheel 2.jpg  
Attached Images

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #6 of 21 Old 02-11-2020, 07:50 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

This was a big topic on this board a number of years ago.

Most folks used a bicycle brake leaver and cable mounted on the gear shift. This allowed you to throttle up and if you lost control, dropping the lever snapped the throttle back.

A search should bring up those threads.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #7 of 21 Old 02-11-2020, 09:46 PM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Tj

I’ve been thinking about a hand brake for the rear tires only. If you had a torsion style limited slip in the rear, and a hand brake to lightly apply the rear brakes, it would trick the limited slip into acting like a locker. This way you get the good road manners of a LSD on the street, but then in a tricky off road situation you could use the hand brake to get both rear tires working together when needed.

The hand brake could come in handy on a boat ramp if needed.

The E brake can be used the same way, but it takes a foot to activate it in a CJ-7.

Maybe a hand activated E brake like in my wife’s 4runner...lots of cars came with a hand activated E brake.

The aircraft tugs we used in the Coast Guard always had a simple hand brake, that would lock when pulled back far enough to go over center, with and adjustment knob on the end to adjust the tension.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #8 of 21 Old 02-12-2020, 06:07 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5067.jpg   RHD Parking brake.jpg  

post #9 of 21 Old 02-12-2020, 06:43 AM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Yup...but the steering wheel looks lost.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #10 of 21 Old 02-12-2020, 06:48 AM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I have been giving some thought to rigging a hand throttle up and want to ideas, pros and cons. What do you folks think?
Thanks
Jim
It would be fairly easy to do on the 5.0L EFI. The throttle cable bracket has a provision for the cruise control cable.

I cut that provision off my bracket, but later had the thought it would be nice to have a hand throttle for increasing RPMs during winching operations. Another 500-1000 RPMs would get the alternator charging the battery better.

But, in the end, I've not yet used my winch. And probably will just let it collect points at the mall.

"In the end...It's all Hack."
post #11 of 21 Old 02-12-2020, 06:59 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
I’ve been thinking about a hand brake for the rear tires only. If you had a torsion style limited slip in the rear, and a hand brake to lightly apply the rear brakes, it would trick the limited slip into acting like a locker. This way you get the good road manners of a LSD on the street, but then in a tricky off road situation you could use the hand brake to get both rear tires working together when needed.

The hand brake could come in handy on a boat ramp if needed.

The E brake can be used the same way, but it takes a foot to activate it in a CJ-7.

Maybe a hand activated E brake like in my wife’s 4runner...lots of cars came with a hand activated E brake.

The aircraft tugs we used in the Coast Guard always had a simple hand brake, that would lock when pulled back far enough to go over center, with and adjustment knob on the end to adjust the tension.

Two options, both hydraulic.
For parking try googling leverlok or parklok. Ebay also has some traditional hand brake style hydraulic units.

As for actuating your Gleason unit (or any single rear tire spin situation) you can go with a simple turning brake system. These are easy to find and are used extensively on dune buggy's and sand rails.
They come in either single or dual lever and will selectively slow/ lock one or the other tire.
Attached Thumbnails
front_page_images.jpg   46010600 masked_0.jpg  
Attached Images

Thomas Payne
post #12 of 21 Old 02-12-2020, 07:50 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Oh, just the thing to add a couple more anti-theft levers...

post #13 of 21 Old 02-12-2020, 11:13 AM
CJ5_Fan

1980 CJ5 

Seems to me you could just repurpose a manual choke cable assembly and keep it on the dash........

1980 CJ5 Renegade with 304 v8
post #14 of 21 Old 02-12-2020, 04:26 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I explored powering the AC idle bump on my 5.0 EFI swap and it seems the consensus was to supply 12 volts to the appropriate pin on the computer. The computer on Fords of that era supply the switched ground for circuits. I got sidetracked and never got back to it. I am a little afraid to just start hooking 12 volts up to that pin unless I know for sure because those A9L computers are in such short supply now. You should drive your Jeep before you figure out what else you need. When I am locked in low, my NV4500 in first gear can easily overpower the brakes idling at 650-700. When I am in 2 high, I can easily kill the motor on a steep hill because I almost always start in second gear. Starting in 1st solves this problem for the most part, but you have to shift at about 5 miles per hour. I was thinking of the electronic idle bump to use mostly on the street where a 200 rpm bump (that is what the computer does when the AC is powered on in a Mustang) would easily put the motor off the E303 cam's lumpy idle and closer to the powerband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
post #15 of 21 Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Oh, just the thing to add a couple more anti-theft levers...
LOL
Screw a NOx knob on the lever and see what happens at speed when he hits the gas...

Thomas Payne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in