Garage
Grounding entire Jeep systems

Can you over ground your cj7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-25-2021, 07:04 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

At some point it does become redundant, but no, not really.
post #3 of 36 Old 06-25-2021, 07:10 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

Yes, there are few items on a CJ so you quickly get to the point that you have installed a seperate ground to all electricity users. Trick is to get the ground path as large as the supply path but any larger is wasting cash.
John Strenk likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER

post #4 of 36 Old 06-25-2021, 07:42 AM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

NO.

This is a 100 amp ground strap continuous run to multiple locations:

Tired of grounding issues.
zcostilla likes this.
post #5 of 36 Old 06-25-2021, 11:42 AM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
No you can't. If you could my Jeep wouldn't run at all. Think of it this way. Most older vehicle (and maybe most new too) use a chassis ground system, meaning you can put a screw into the body or frame pretty much anywhere to obtain a ground path. Doing it with a dedicated wire simply makes a cleaner, more efficient path to do it with.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 36 Old 06-25-2021, 06:57 PM
Agent915

1978 CJ5 

Garage
I added 6 heavy grounding straps (3 per side) connecting body to chassis. Made a world of difference in everything electrical!

Danny
Wyo and zcostilla like this.
post #7 of 36 Old 06-25-2021, 08:49 PM
jeep_boy02
1934 CJ7 

Garage
Bad grounds are a huge issue in CJs and any older vehicle really. Multiple straps to body, block, frame, and dash help tons. I like to use a bus bar in the engine bay, under the dash and in the rear, all with one stud daisy chained straight to battery.

Sent from my SM-A015A using Tapatalk
Wyo likes this.

80 CJ7-304/T176/D300 HEI hdrs-WT D30/D44 4.56s, lockright/spool-SOA YJs W/RE AAL-35 MTRs beadlocks
post #8 of 36 Old 06-26-2021, 06:47 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramerica View Post
Can you over ground your cj7

No, but I have seen CJ projects that have more grounds than needed.

Basically you only need to ground between isolated portions of the Jeep that have rubber, paint, polyurethane, grease, oil or any other insulating media that prevents or slows down the path of electrons. Electrons need to move through conductive material.

Factory grounding was from (-) battery-to-engine block, engine block motor mount-to-motor mount frame and battery to firewall. That was it. Worked OK with fresh new steel, paint that was applied after body parts were fitted and minimum accessories and options that didn't need much current (low voltage that flows to high voltage = DC current flowing from negative to positive).

But over time, these simple connection points become corroded and inadequate for high current add-ons, separated painted panels, and so forth. Providing new points for electrons to move through conductive material is all that is needed and that will depend on the electrical device's function on how it needs to be grounded in order to function.

An example is my underhood light that use to work with factory wiring but no longer worked after painting hood and hinges separately. I simply lost the path of conductivity. With hinges being painted and hinge pins greased, I had to add a ground strap from ground Bus Bar-to-hood hinge bolt to complete the conductive path. I now we have a working light.

firewall-grounding-block.jpg

hood-bumper-25-.jpg

Use your own judgement as to where, why and when a good ground is needed.
Matt1981CJ7, Wyo and zcostilla like this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #9 of 36 Old 06-26-2021, 09:19 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

I used to run a diesel shop for a trucking company. Every shop in the company had what we called "Rod's Bible". It was a two page map of every ground there is on our Kenworths. Using that to check all the grounds solved all sorts of electrical problems, from gages not working to sensors tripping check engine lights, etc. and these were New trucks! Good grounding is crucial in any vehicle. Sometimes just cleaning, tightening, replacing or re-locating an existing ground can do really good things.
Wyo likes this.
post #10 of 36 Old 06-26-2021, 01:06 PM
zcostilla

1966 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
No, but I have seen CJ projects that have more grounds than needed.

Basically you only need to ground between isolated portions of the Jeep that have rubber, paint, polyurethane, grease, oil or any other insulating media that prevents or slows down the path of electrons. Electrons need to move through conductive material.

Factory grounding was from (-) battery-to-engine block, engine block motor mount-to-motor mount frame and battery to firewall. That was it. Worked OK with fresh new steel, paint that was applied after body parts were fitted and minimum accessories and options that didn't need much current (low voltage that flows to high voltage = DC current flowing from negative to positive).

But over time, these simple connection points become corroded and inadequate for high current add-ons, separated painted panels, and so forth. Providing new points for electrons to move through conductive material is all that is needed and that will depend on the electrical device's function on how it needs to be grounded in order to function.

An example is my underhood light that use to work with factory wiring but no longer worked after painting hood and hinges separately. I simply lost the path of conductivity. With hinges being painted and hinge pins greased, I had to add a ground strap from ground Bus Bar-to-hood hinge bolt to complete the conductive path. I now we have a working light.

Attachment 3994727

Attachment 3994729

Use your own judgement as to where, why and when a good ground is needed.
That’s a great idea. Going to probably do this when I replace the hood hinges next month.
post #11 of 36 Old 06-26-2021, 01:51 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
6 CJ-5s for me

Neg cable onto engine

Ground jumper from neg battery post to firewall (in front of passenger)

Strap/ cable from engine to frame (jumping over motor mounts.

I have at times ran a separate ground from the radio--it being part of the radio

I HAVE NEVER RAN A SEPARATE GROUND ON ANY OF MY CJs, SEEMS THE METAL PEICES ARE ADEQUATE AND WERE THE INTENDED PATHWAY FOR ALL OF THIS TO WORK.

My CJ2A with a fiberglass body is a different story----if a part uses 12 volts, it must return to the negative battery via a separate ground wire or congregate to a buss on it's way to the neg battery. Neg battery grounds to engine block (Like my CJ-5s) and jumps from the engine to the frame (just like the CJ-5s). Even running all of the grounds separate, I have never had a ground issue at all since 1991 when I wired Willy up initially.

So that's been 7 Jeeps for me beginning in 1981, It really does not make sense that everybody else has these problems??---and yes, I've had my share of rust too!

----JEEPFELLER
post #12 of 36 Old 06-27-2021, 08:54 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

I rewired our Jeep and ran individual grounds to what I thought everything electrical via ground blocks. I still find things that have bad grounds.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #13 of 36 Old 06-27-2021, 09:01 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Simple common sense.
High draw items such as winches could use added grounding.
Isolated appliances, such as fiberglass and/or rubber mounted appliances, or items mounted past poor grounding components (hinges, as Kieth noted) , usually need added grounding.
But there comes a time where the law of diminishing returns kicks in and you wind up with a lot of unnecessary clutter with no real value.
CSP and keith460 like this.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #14 of 36 Old 06-27-2021, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Kramerica

Garage
In looking at my Jeep cj I see the grounds but they look very thin to me..
I will replace with ground strap.
Do I found to frame from Body
I should add this in new TDC Frame and new tub
All new wiring harness from painless.
Doing the dash which peels the onion a little more making me look at my grounds all gauges work originally but after wiring harness voltmeter was pegged over.. just want to sure it’s all grounded properly you guys are making me understand this better and I can’t thank you enough!
post #15 of 36 Old 06-27-2021, 09:41 AM
jeep_boy02
1934 CJ7 

Garage
I would do larger gauge grounds than factory if I were you and add a bus bar by battery to at least connect a dash ground to. Neg cable to block, ground strap or cable from block to frame and a strap from tub to frame. You should be golden then since all is new.

Sent from my SM-A015A using Tapatalk

80 CJ7-304/T176/D300 HEI hdrs-WT D30/D44 4.56s, lockright/spool-SOA YJs W/RE AAL-35 MTRs beadlocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in