88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 109 Old 07-23-2020, 06:24 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPartridge View Post
Awesome! Yeah we love AZ. We spend a lot of time in Parker on the river, but my wife doesn't care for the thought of living in the desert heat. We fell in love with the higher elevations of the state and started looking for property out there some months back.
I'm hauling the first load out there Sunday, our new home is on 2 acres backing the national forest just off the Beeline Hwy. We're happy to be leaving CA and looking forward to the new scenery. Being able to have my grandfather's old Jeep with us out there is going to make it all that much better.
I spent 6 years living in the desert near Barstow, when there was alot more open land, I loved it.
I was born and raised in CA, we left Santa Barbara about a year ago for southern Idaho
and are so glad we did. CA has some great stuff, but there are so many reasons to GTFO.
Miles and miles of trail to explore here in Idaho.

RyanPartridge likes this.

Whats over that next ridge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 109 Old 07-23-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
RyanPartridge

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Low2G0 View Post
I spent 6 years living in the desert near Barstow, when there was alot more open land, I loved it.
I was born and raised in CA, we left Santa Barbara about a year ago for southern Idaho
and are so glad we did. CA has some great stuff, but there are so many reasons to GTFO.
Miles and miles of trail to explore here in Idaho.

I've got a lot of buddies up in Santa Barbara. Idaho was on our list as well, but we don't know anyone out there and liked the idea of still being around 7 hours drive from family in CA. If the AZ mountains ever fail us...Idaho will be likely be our final refuge.
post #18 of 109 Old 07-24-2020, 12:51 PM
cpadget

1983 CJ7 

We live down in Goodyear, originally came from the High Desert, Apple Valley specifically. Spent a ton of time, when I was young, wheeling around Barstow, Big Bear, High Desert, etc, in the very Jeep I have now. Dad bought it new in '83.

Have yet to really get out and Jeep in Arizona, but look forward to getting more active soon.
Azhunter1 and RyanPartridge like this.

post #19 of 109 Old 07-29-2020, 05:17 PM
Alabamacj71981

Cool story. Super cool that he loved it. Super cool he left it to you. Let’s all play the role of the grandad with our Jeeps. 😉
post #20 of 109 Old 07-29-2020, 05:24 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamacj71981 View Post
Cool story. Super cool that he loved it. Super cool he left it to you. Letís all play the role of the grandad with our Jeeps. 😉
Yep that's my plan for the Jeep! Nobody may know how the work 3 pedals and a stick shift by then tho. LOL

Whats over that next ridge?
post #21 of 109 Old 09-11-2020, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
RyanPartridge

1976 CJ7 

Got the Jeep loaded up yesterday and made it home last night. More photos to follow...
But in the mean time, ID tag says it was built Jan of 1976.
Early photo I found shows that the rear bumper was originally painted white and the spare tire was mounted to the rear, right side.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5251.jpg   IMG_5255.jpg   IMG_5253.jpg  
post #22 of 109 Old 09-11-2020, 12:10 PM
LJameson

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to following this, its very similar to my CJ7. 1976...304 automatic, and it was my grandpas. It looks like a good solid Jeep too

1976 CJ7 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 109 Old 09-11-2020, 12:23 PM
77CJB
1977 CJ7 

Nice looking Jeep. Here in the midwest we have a lot more problems with rust. You would have to google it but I believe there is a place in AZ that makes some good quality Renegade decals. Unless you have a lot of experience I would have a professional install anything like that. You get things out of place you can easily ruin your expensive investment.

Best of luck.
post #24 of 109 Old 09-14-2020, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
RyanPartridge

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJameson View Post
Looking forward to following this, its very similar to my CJ7. 1976...304 automatic, and it was my grandpas. It looks like a good solid Jeep too
Thanks! I've been following yours as well! Great Jeep you have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77CJB View Post
Nice looking Jeep. Here in the midwest we have a lot more problems with rust. You would have to google it but I believe there is a place in AZ that makes some good quality Renegade decals. Unless you have a lot of experience I would have a professional install anything like that. You get things out of place you can easily ruin your expensive investment.

Best of luck.
Thanks! Do you think mine was originally a Renegade model?
post #25 of 109 Old 09-15-2020, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
RyanPartridge

1976 CJ7 

Got started yesterday with some cleaning and getting acquainted with the Jeep.
Found some of my grandfather's stuff left behind, old first-aid kits, shotgun shells, a compass, pocket knives, spare parts, etc...
Lots of dust n' dirt. Some quail feathers....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3662.jpg   IMG_8265.jpg   IMG_1146.jpg   IMG_8638.jpg  
Azhunter1 likes this.
post #26 of 109 Old 09-15-2020, 07:39 AM
Hoover7
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Man, this is going to be a great project. Seeing all these things is such a cool glimpse into your grandfathers life and mindset - looks like he was prepared for just about anything! And have to say, that rear bumper is fantastic-

Hoov

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #27 of 109 Old 09-15-2020, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
RyanPartridge

1976 CJ7 

Here she is after a wash...
I know the Jeep originally had tan seats...I think it got the blue interior sometime in the 80's. The carpet was done nice, piping around the edges, details...
I think maybe the doors were replaced at some point, there seems to be some spots that show blue and red paint under the white. Not sure what the story is there since this Jeep was always white. If the doors are replacements, he found early versions by the door handles I guess.

I got a new battery in and it cranks over but doesn't fire. I don't think the carb is getting fuel. Took me a minute to realize the key turns the ignition on but the starter has a push button installed under the headlight switch.
From the tin foil and clothes pins on the fuel line in front of the carb, I'm thinking there was a vapor lock issue.
There's a mechanical fuel pump(might be bad) and possibly an electric fuel pump mounted just above the gas tank on the drivers side? Also what appears to be return lines going back to the tank? This is new to me so I'm still wrapping my head around what it had going on. I haven't found a switch for an electric pump or heard it buzzing when the key is turned.
I'm a simpleton who prefers a mechanical fuel pump and 1 or 2 fuel filters, hoping I can get away with that on this Jeep when I replace all the hoses and pump.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0010.jpg   IMG_8510 2.jpg   IMG_6551.jpg   IMG_3000.jpg   IMG_5886 2.jpg  

IMG_9997.jpg   IMG_3156.jpg   IMG_3819.jpg   IMG_2832.jpg   IMG_3649.jpg  

Azhunter1 likes this.
post #28 of 109 Old 09-15-2020, 09:48 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quadaratrac
Azhunter1 likes this.
post #29 of 109 Old 09-15-2020, 11:06 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPartridge View Post
...Do you think mine was originally a Renegade model?
Definitely not, but its got Certified Grandfather Street Cred (CGSC), which trumps the Renegade designation by a mile...

Hoss
bob4703 and RyanPartridge like this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #30 of 109 Old 09-15-2020, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
RyanPartridge

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Definitely not, but its got Certified Grandfather Street Cred (CGSC), which trumps the Renegade designation by a mile...

Hoss
Hah!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in