Gears/Transmission Grinds When I try to put in Reverse - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-23-2020, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
jdeezjeep

1975 CJ5 

Gears/Transmission Grinds When I try to put in Reverse

First Time Post and Jeep Owner...Restored (mostly original) CJ-5. See my profile for the most details I have thus far. The first few hundred miles of ownership, all was well...In the past 70 miles approximately I've noticed it getting harder to put into Reverse. Now it's grinding when I try to put into reverse and it's worse after it gets warmed up (5 mile trip to gas station, for example). Going into first is difficult, but not yet experiencing grinding. I've got the TSM for this '75 CJ-5 Jeep, and am thinking it is the Syncro-Clutch. I'm curious what folks on this forum might think. Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-23-2020, 02:34 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

have you serviced it lately with oil. if so what gear oil. it calls for a 90w gl4 gear oil. also one thing you can do is first shift it to first gear then go to reverse. by doing so it will stop the internals from spinning.

oldschool
post #3 of 16 Old 05-23-2020, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
jdeezjeep

1975 CJ5 

Thanks for reply. Yes, been serviced and yes to 90w (gl4/5). And i've first shifted into first gear, then tried reverse, but that didn't work.

JD

post #4 of 16 Old 05-23-2020, 07:32 PM
RiverandSand
1980 CJ5 

Garage
Have tried to adjust the clutch? The trans needs to be completely stopped internally to shift into reverse. So an adjustment maybe needed. Reverse isn't synchronized.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-23-2020, 08:41 PM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

I wonder if your not getting full engagement with the clutch throw. Maybe some further adjustment is needed.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-23-2020, 08:53 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Classic clutch issue. You need to insure the free pedal is correct, the body isn't lifting when depressing the clutch, and the bellcrank holes/linkage ends aren't worn.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #7 of 16 Old 05-24-2020, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
jdeezjeep

1975 CJ5 

Thanks again...I've followed the "clutch linkage adjustment" section of the TSM, and that checks fine. Also, the TSM states there is a "syncronizer assembly" for "low-and-reverse".

JD
post #8 of 16 Old 05-24-2020, 01:23 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeezjeep View Post
Thanks again...I've followed the "clutch linkage adjustment" section of the TSM, and that checks fine. Also, the TSM states there is a "syncronizer assembly" for "low-and-reverse".

JD
Yours is a T-14 trans. Reverse shifts with the first-reverse synchro sleeve but there is no synchro blocking ring or synchro cone on reverse gear so reverse is not synchronized. If a dragging clutch is not the problem, a bad pilot bushing can also be the cause. Sometimes a bad pilot bushing will make a squealing-rubbing sound especially when cold.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-24-2020, 01:32 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Another thing that can happen is that a clutch pressure plate lever fulcrum screw can loosen and go out of adjustment preventing full disengagement when the clutch pedal is depressed. That happened to my present CJ-5 just out of warranty. I was able to shift into forward gears because they're synchronized but over a short period of time, getting into reverse became more and more difficult. Ended up replacing the pressure plate.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-25-2020, 03:39 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

your clutch is not fully disengaging. you will see this first in a grinding reverse, then first will baulk,
Supraquick likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #11 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 05:15 PM
gjvalent
2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I had the same problem with my 1975 CJ5, in 1978. (258 engine, 3 speed trans.) I asked my dad, he said adjust the clutch, that fixed it.
Supraquick likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 05:32 PM
MikeC45
1997 TJ Wrangler 

In order for the gears to grind going into reverse the transmission gears have to be rotating. I chased this problem until I thought I was going to go crazy. Installed a new clutch and it still did it. Finally found the pilot bearing in the flywheel was bad. It is a needle bearing type and clutch dust had gotten into it. Installed a new pilot bearing and all worked.

Mike C
post #13 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 05:48 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
i have learned the hard way also about what to change during a clutch change. i also now always include the pilot bearing and the clutch fork if i dont know the age of it. the 7 i have now had a fairly new clutch. saw the receipts. one day driving it and heard a loud pop and lost about half of my clutch pedal. i limped home by shifting without the clutch. when i inspected i found the hole about a 1/8 inch in diameter in the end of the clutch fork where the linkage pushes against it. so unfor had to take out the trans and case to replace. while out i replaced it all again including the linkage. while replacing the pilot bushing i found it was worn bad and prob never replaced.

oldschool
post #14 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 06:46 PM
RockNchaiR

1944 M-38 

Garage
Been driving sticks all my life. Some are jest hard to deal with depending on quality of sincromesh gearing etc. I agree with one other post that It's important to have a good Gear Oil. I prefer Amsoil in all my vehicles. Harleys run cooler and trannies shift easier and is very noticeable. SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 is really good. I Run 75W-140 in my Rock Crawler Dana 300 transfer case and Dana 60 rear end. Also you might consider a habbit I got into years ago. If having difficulty getting into 1st of Rev. put into second to slow things down them try first should move ritght in, then try rev. should go right in. You Gear Lube will make all the difference though. goo luck.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 09:25 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNchaiR View Post
Been driving sticks all my life. Some are jest hard to deal with depending on quality of sincromesh gearing etc. I agree with one other post that It's important to have a good Gear Oil. I prefer Amsoil in all my vehicles. Harleys run cooler and trannies shift easier and is very noticeable. SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 is really good. I Run 75W-140 in my Rock Crawler Dana 300 transfer case and Dana 60 rear end. Also you might consider a habbit I got into years ago. If having difficulty getting into 1st of Rev. put into second to slow things down them try first should move ritght in, then try rev. should go right in. You Gear Lube will make all the difference though. goo luck.
Sometimes certain gear lubes, especially heavier grades will cause difficult shifting when cold. The oil film between blocking ring and synchro cone is too thick and does not offer enough friction until things warm up.
Supraquick likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in