Gearbox Leaking: Causes? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-07-2020, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Unhappy Gearbox Leaking: Causes? (Power Steering)

Folks, I noticed a wet stain just underneath my power steering gearbox today. Just yesterday I was tuning the Jeep up and did not have this issue. I was literally right there working and it was bone dry. Is it possible to just have one start leaking like this? I find it odd because it's a huge spot. Usually I come across a small drip at first from anywhere and nip it in the bud quickly. I never touched the gearbox. Odd?

Anyway, what would cause it to leak? Today I started noticing a slight winding sound as I drove by parked cars. The sound was bouncing off them as I passed. My guess now is that it was the gear box. Is this an easy fix? What am I facing here? Where do I start? Last thing I need is a major repair.

Do I repair it or do I simply get a replacement? . . . Bummer!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-07-2020, 12:32 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

First thing to do is fill it back full and see if it is still making any noise. Make sure the drain plug is tight. Drive around and see if it is still making a noise. After a week or two, drain the new fluid and see if it is sparkly or not. If no, dump it back in and drive, if yes, then you can think about repair or replace.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 5 Old 03-07-2020, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
First thing to do is fill it back full and see if it is still making any noise. Make sure the drain plug is tight. Drive around and see if it is still making a noise. After a week or two, drain the new fluid and see if it is sparkly or not. If no, dump it back in and drive, if yes, then you can think about repair or replace.

I failed to mention that it's the "power steering" gearbox in my title.

I'm going to GUNK it in the morning and see if I can see where it's leaking from. I noticed the wet spot on the security camera so I went to take a look; it's soaked in that area. It's also dark outside so I have to look further into where the exact leak is from in the morning. I will check the power steering reservoir for low fluid also.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-07-2020, 07:09 AM
Sparkybob
1978 CJ5 

Maybe one of the hoses developed a leak??

Too bad stupidity isn't painful.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-07-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

I used GUNK this morning and cleaned the engine thoroughly. It's very clean now. I didn't notice any areas of leakage where I checked prior to spraying this morning. The reservoir was fine. I will check in the morning and then drive it around for a spell to see if it shows leakage anywhere. Odd thing is that it was not making any noises today; other than the fan belt after I GUNK'd it. But that's been dealt with already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in