Gauge Ideas? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 07-14-2020, 08:33 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Don't need no attitude gauge. That's what I have a wife for!

mpulokas likes this.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 07-14-2020, 09:01 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

i have found that any changes in latitude is directly proportional to changes in attitude.
bob4703 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #18 of 23 Old 07-14-2020, 06:28 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

If you have access to a drillpress and a fly cutter (adjustable circle cutter) you can easily make yourself a flat spacer that will take up the extra space in the old holes and be able to use slightly smaller gauges.

I used flat ABS plastic that I picked up out of the scrap bin (purchase the scrap for something like $2.50 a pound) at my local plastic store.

You can also make them on the lathe but not everyone has access to one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
I have a vacuum gauge in my J20 (cheap Autometer) in 2" and seeing it spin around is quite amusing.

The oil temperature gauge is not actually wired up, it is just to fill in a hole.

post #19 of 23 Old 07-14-2020, 08:03 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
The vacuum gauge used to be fitted to cars in the late 70s, it was an "economy" gauge. Basically if you drove to maximise vacuum you got maximum economy.

it is also useful in setting the ignition timing, tuning the carb idle etc. Unfortunately with it in the dash it is harder to see.
I have a vacuum gauge on my dash also. I find it quite useful.
Attached Images

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #20 of 23 Old 07-15-2020, 08:03 AM
GusTheCat
1980 CJ5 

I also put a vacuum gauge in place of the clock. The clock wasn't working when I bought the Jeep years ago and plan on having it rebuilt after I retire.
post #21 of 23 Old 07-15-2020, 11:13 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Hey John!

I used a Geritol bottle to house my air/ fuel gauge up there on my column.

Over there where my radio is supposed to go in the dash, which someone buggered up the dash. I had a chunk of aluminum street sign that I used hole saws to craft in for 4 gauges. I also chopped out the messed up dash behind it and installed 4 blind nuts behind it.

You might leave the dash alone behind it and cut holes in the new plate that might line up with the old holes.

The modern rectangular radio is now mounted under the dash and has a sheet metal enclosure with a rain shield/ drip guard over the top of it.

My daughter tried to match my dash and got a little carried away with the "texture paint" and got it a little heavy on my plate. But you know, she did help, she was proud and happy.

So y'all look at my daughter's contribution to my dash!

----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
DASH W NO EXPLAN.jpg  
post #22 of 23 Old 07-15-2020, 07:34 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrandabur View Post
And i like the ambient temp gauge idea, although i like the analog look so i wonder if its possible to wire up a coolant/oil temp gauge to just display outside temp? Maybe by placing the sensor somewhere behind the dash?
That's stupid. Where do you live that a coolant temp gauge would ever even move reading outside temp??

If that gauge shows anything when reading outside temp. you have bigger issues going on than with you jeep.
if it's 160 outside your screwed.

if you want outside temp look at Volvo 240 or VDO gauges for analog outside temp

Whats over that next ridge?
post #23 of 23 Old 07-15-2020, 09:14 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
I really looked hard through my many many pics.

Sorry, I could not find the pic I took at a car show.

A feller with a old Ford truck had an empty gauge hole.

A very realistic looking mouse held the hole at about 5 and 7 o'clock with his front feet as his little head poked/ peered through. A fake gauge face and bezel dangled below the hole.

I thought it was cool anyway!

----JEEPFELLER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in