JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Gauge Ideas? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gauge-ideas-4404133/)

bob4703 07-14-2020 08:33 AM

Don't need no attitude gauge. That's what I have a wife for!

John Strenk 07-14-2020 09:01 AM

i have found that any changes in latitude is directly proportional to changes in attitude. :)

StoneTower 07-14-2020 06:28 PM

If you have access to a drillpress and a fly cutter (adjustable circle cutter) you can easily make yourself a flat spacer that will take up the extra space in the old holes and be able to use slightly smaller gauges.

I used flat ABS plastic that I picked up out of the scrap bin (purchase the scrap for something like $2.50 a pound) at my local plastic store.

You can also make them on the lathe but not everyone has access to one of those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagusJeep (Post 41019965)
I have a vacuum gauge in my J20 (cheap Autometer) in 2" and seeing it spin around is quite amusing.

The oil temperature gauge is not actually wired up, it is just to fill in a hole.

John Strenk 07-14-2020 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BagusJeep (Post 41020029)
The vacuum gauge used to be fitted to cars in the late 70s, it was an "economy" gauge. Basically if you drove to maximise vacuum you got maximum economy.

it is also useful in setting the ignition timing, tuning the carb idle etc. Unfortunately with it in the dash it is harder to see.

I have a vacuum gauge on my dash also. I find it quite useful.

GusTheCat 07-15-2020 08:03 AM

I also put a vacuum gauge in place of the clock. The clock wasn't working when I bought the Jeep years ago and plan on having it rebuilt after I retire.

JEEPFELLER 07-15-2020 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey John!

I used a Geritol bottle to house my air/ fuel gauge up there on my column.

Over there where my radio is supposed to go in the dash, which someone buggered up the dash. I had a chunk of aluminum street sign that I used hole saws to craft in for 4 gauges. I also chopped out the messed up dash behind it and installed 4 blind nuts behind it.

You might leave the dash alone behind it and cut holes in the new plate that might line up with the old holes.

The modern rectangular radio is now mounted under the dash and has a sheet metal enclosure with a rain shield/ drip guard over the top of it.

My daughter tried to match my dash and got a little carried away with the "texture paint" and got it a little heavy on my plate. But you know, she did help, she was proud and happy.

So y'all look at my daughter's contribution to my dash!

----JEEPFELLER

4Low2G0 07-15-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBrandabur (Post 41020007)
And i like the ambient temp gauge idea, although i like the analog look so i wonder if its possible to wire up a coolant/oil temp gauge to just display outside temp? Maybe by placing the sensor somewhere behind the dash?

That's stupid. Where do you live that a coolant temp gauge would ever even move reading outside temp??

If that gauge shows anything when reading outside temp. you have bigger issues going on than with you jeep.
if it's 160 outside your screwed.:rofl::fish:

if you want outside temp look at Volvo 240 or VDO gauges for analog outside temp

JEEPFELLER 07-15-2020 09:14 PM

I really looked hard through my many many pics.

Sorry, I could not find the pic I took at a car show.

A feller with a old Ford truck had an empty gauge hole.

A very realistic looking mouse held the hole at about 5 and 7 o'clock with his front feet as his little head poked/ peered through. A fake gauge face and bezel dangled below the hole.

I thought it was cool anyway!

----JEEPFELLER

The time now is 09:02 PM.