"Gaucho" CJ stepside pickup build - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 1454 Old 05-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Ziptie2k2

1986 CJ7 

Looking nice as usual. (I'm addicted to this thread). What is the front of the box going to mount to? I only see the rear mounts in the photo's.

1977 - CJ7.......1979 CJ7.......1981 - CJ8.......1986 CJ7 Cant get enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
where do you believe you go when you die?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchagrins View Post
you go in the ground, duh.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1454 Old 05-19-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziptie2k2 View Post
Looking nice as usual. (I'm addicted to this thread). What is the front of the box going to mount to? I only see the rear mounts in the photo's.
I took this photo to answer your question - you can see an upside-down "u"-shaped mount sitting on the frame just behind the cab. It came from a Dodge Durango pickup, and it's pretty much the perfect width to bolt to the outside of the CJ frame rails. I'll weld mounting pads to the top of it at the right location to support the bed rails.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
post #303 of 1454 Old 05-19-2009, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

One of the problems I ran into when trying to fit the two halves of the hardtop back together is that the upper corners of the cut front half were a little wider than the back half - this is because the top of the roof tapers slightly in width towards the back of the hardtop. You can see the mismatch in photo 1 below.

This problem is actually one of the reasons I searched for a "first style" CJ-7 hardtop for this project. The first style hardtops are molded in one piece from a thermoplastic-type polycarbonate instead of fiberglass like the later style tops, which are made from fiberglass, and assembled from 8 or so separate pieces. The thermoplastic polycarbonate can be heated and remolded, but fiberglass can not.

Here's the steps I took to bring the two contours in line:

1. The original mismatch, the front panel is about 1/2" wider than the rear piece and doesn't curve down as quickly.

2. I first made a diagonal relief cut, since I'm going to try to bring the side in and the top down a bit, there will be too much material in the corner when it's remolded.

3. I used a 750-degree heat gun to soften the plastic. I heated both the inside and outside surfaces, from the joints to about 5" back from the joints. It took 10-15 minutes to get it soft enough to where it could easily be shaped by hand.

4. When the plastic was soft, I used a board to smoothly remold the plastic down the the shape I needed.

5. Here the upper part has been reshaped; still have to do the lower piece.

6. After the plastic cools, it's set in the new shape. I've done a quick bit of sanding on the corner, now it's ready for final bonding with polyester resin and matting, and then a little bit of body filler will smooth it perfectly.

The two parts of the top are just about ready to be bonded together with polyester resin and fiberglass matting - I just have a few very minor tweaks to do to make the joint perfect. I've got the doors from my Scrambler on the Gaucho so I can make sure I've got everything lined up and I've got perfect door gaps.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

post #304 of 1454 Old 05-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

wow great work! I am really enjoying following this thread!

1978 Jeep Cj7 Soa, Shackle Reversle, 36x13.5x15 Irocks, 4.5 Stroker MPI, Dana 300 twin Sticked, 4.88's
post #305 of 1454 Old 05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Jeff

looks good (as always)...you never cease to amaze me.

are you going to fab a piece for the inside bottom edge out of the pieces you removed?

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #306 of 1454 Old 05-19-2009, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Jeff

looks good (as always)...you never cease to amaze me.

are you going to fab a piece for the inside bottom edge out of the pieces you removed?

Hoss
Thanks! Do you mean the flange inside where the hardtop bolts to the top of the tub? No, I'll make that out of 1/4" fiberglass sheet, probably two layers laminated up to 1/2".

post #307 of 1454 Old 05-19-2009, 07:13 PM
nwiTJdave

Somehow I missed your first build thread on your amazing Retro-Wrangler and I missed a crap ton out of this one too! Amazing work you do! Keep it up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This is for fighting, this is for fun.
post #308 of 1454 Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Somehow I missed your first build thread on your amazing Retro-Wrangler and I missed a crap ton out of this one too! Amazing work you do! Keep it up
Thanks! You may have missed the Retro Wrangler build thread because I did it on the CJ-8.com board: http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18796

post #309 of 1454 Old 05-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Ford_Prefect
1984 CJ7 

You know, call me crazy, but I personally think that you should leave the hatch back window on the hard top. I just think that it would be nice to be able to open it up if you want to, for instance, if you have some large lumber you want to stick through the window, but the typical truck windows are a bit small. I dono, my personal thoughts, but I am sure it will look nice the way you designed it, just a thought.

Anyhow, really enjoying seeing this thing come along!

If you can read this thank a teacher; if you can read it in English, thank an Airman, Sailor, Soldier or Marine
post #310 of 1454 Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 AM
xjandyj

or removable back window like early c3 vettes
post #311 of 1454 Old 05-20-2009, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
You know, call me crazy, but I personally think that you should leave the hatch back window on the hard top.
I have a photo of a YJ pickup done that way, it looks really goofy. So yes, you are crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjandyj View Post
or removable back window like early c3 vettes
Sorry guys, I'm sticking with a Scrambler slider window on the hardtop. Fiberglass work is already in progress, putting the back wall in this morning, window hole to be cut when I get my hands on the Scrambler window...

post #312 of 1454 Old 05-20-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here's a few shots of the hardtop with the rear wall in place. Next step is to put the mounting flange inside the rear wall, then all the structural work is done and it's down to finishing. Oh and cutting the hole for the back window

post #313 of 1454 Old 05-20-2009, 08:13 PM
CopperCJ7

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
You know, call me crazy, but I personally think that you should leave the hatch back window on the hard top.
Call me wacky, but I think the Scherbmeister has designed a few vehicles that have met with rave reviews. One would surmise that Dr. Jeep Transformer has a good eye for aesthetics when it comes to vehicle design. That huge door would be awkward to say the least. Imagine driving with that door open? I trust his design prowess - you should too.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go wipe this strange "brown stuff" off my nose.

Guns don't kill people... Bad trail spotters do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
post #314 of 1454 Old 05-21-2009, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
Call me wacky, but I think the Scherbmeister has designed a few vehicles that have met with rave reviews. One would surmise that Dr. Jeep Transformer has a good eye for aesthetics when it comes to vehicle design. That huge door would be awkward to say the least. Imagine driving with that door open? I trust his design prowess - you should too.
Thanks

I don't think I've published this design drawing before - here you can see the rear view... I think this window will be just about right.

Also in this drawing I've got the spare in a well at the front of the bed but I still haven't decided where the spare is going. The Retro Wrangler has a bed box in the front of the bed, which is incredibly handy, so I'm not sure I want to take up that space with the spare. That's a design issue I'll tackle in a few weeks when I start working on the bed restoration/fabrication.

I would post the photo of the YJ pickup with the full rear window, but the design is so awkward in so many ways I can't bring myself to inflict it upon you

post #315 of 1454 Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 AM
xjandyj

that looks sweet...what i wonder is,,your work is outstanding,,whoever buys this thing has a high standard to live up to........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in