FYI: Auburn Gear ECTED MAX for AMC 20 $350! - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 07-05-2020, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

FYI: Auburn Gear ECTED MAX for AMC 20 $350!

Just sharing... One (1) left.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auburn-Ge...ials/132933018

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

4.2L w/Howell TBI, T5, D300, Dana 30 w/locker/AMC 20 posit, 3.31 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 07-06-2020, 08:13 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Ohhhh. I feel a hole burning in my wallet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 44 Old 07-06-2020, 09:33 AM
sonnychiss
1978 CJ5 

Sorry, John.

post #4 of 44 Old 07-06-2020, 09:56 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnychiss View Post
Sorry, John.
It's all right, I need other stuff first anyway.

Thanks for saving my wallet.....

post #5 of 44 Old 07-06-2020, 10:01 AM
sonnychiss
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
It's all right, I need other stuff first anyway.

Thanks for saving my wallet.....
Lol, I don't really need it right now either but couldn't pass it up.

BTW, nice work on your paint job, been following that.
post #6 of 44 Old 07-07-2020, 05:56 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Y'all buy Auburn Gears. Their plant is just down the road and their continued operation keeps friends and family from wanting to borrow money.
John Strenk and Cutlass327 like this.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #7 of 44 Old 07-07-2020, 09:50 AM
sonnychiss
1978 CJ5 

Well, this arrived via fedex today (unbelievably fast shipping). Only problem was instead of an Exted Max for the model 20 I got a lunchbox locker for a GM 12 bolt.

John, I not only saved your wallet, I saved you from a hassle! Once again - "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" - holds true. We'll see if I can get the correct product, most likely will get a refund. I think in the ad they had a picture of the Ected and the lunchbox locker - it didn't seem right but I thought the second picture was the internals of the Ected.
post #8 of 44 Old 07-07-2020, 01:15 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah, That was confusing.

Hope you can work it out.
Attached Thumbnails
AurburnMiss.jpg  

post #9 of 44 Old 07-07-2020, 01:34 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Whats the difference between the ECTED and ECTED MAX. Tried to do a search on this last night but didn't have much luck.
post #10 of 44 Old 07-07-2020, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnychiss View Post
Well, this arrived via fedex today (unbelievably fast shipping). Only problem was instead of an Exted Max for the model 20 I got a lunchbox locker for a GM 12 bolt.

John, I not only saved your wallet, I saved you from a hassle! Once again - "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" - holds true. We'll see if I can get the correct product, most likely will get a refund. I think in the ad they had a picture of the Ected and the lunchbox locker - it didn't seem right but I thought the second picture was the internals of the Ected.
Dam! They couldn't even get the correct model of axle, let alone correct product! I wonder what I will receive and deal with when mine arrives? The correct product number is 545007 for the Auburn Gear ECTED Max. That is the product number in my order and shown on the website and corresponds to the ECTED Max for a M20 axle from Auburn Gear website (and every other performance/aftermarket company).
https://auburngeardiffs.com/product/...lip-to-lock-2/
Pictures are meaningless as product number determines the product. The advertisement clearly shows a product with a specific and designated product number from the manufacture that corresponds for the product ordered.

Let us know what happens please. As I too ordered the Auburn Gear ECTED Max from the same website, I am sure I will be dealing with the same issue in a few days.

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

post #11 of 44 Old 07-07-2020, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Whats the difference between the ECTED and ECTED MAX. Tried to do a search on this last night but didn't have much luck.
Auburn offers the Max Locker (lunchbox) and the ECTED Max. The ECTED is a LS/selectable locker (sort of) that operates electronically. Disengaged, it is a LS diff. Engaged, it is a locking diff (sort of). Always, it offers some level of traction assistance 100% of the time (clutch pack dependent).

The sort of part is the locking (as far as I can tell) still depends on the clutch pack. So if the clutches are completely worn out, it will not lock. There will always be some sort of slippage too. New, they are reported as being very tight which makes sense. That is my understanding. Auburn has a program they call D-REX (a return policy), as the clutch pack (cones to be correct) is not a serviceable product. In the program, they will replace the unit for a discounted price. That means swapping out the carrier, which means axle setup every time.
Obviously, there are some downsides to the product, but there are some really good sides too. You can lock it on the fly, and the lock response is instant. For my purpose, it will be just fine (in theory). It depends upon receiving the correct product to begin with!!!!

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

post #12 of 44 Old 07-07-2020, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Yeah, That was confusing.

Hope you can work it out.
BTW, Auburn does not offer the Max Locker (the lunchbox style pictured) for the M20 axle. Two pictures for one product number. One picture is correct, one is not even available. The correct picture corresponds to the correct part number. But I am sure new levels of *%(#^(^$ will be seen from this.

I thought I could help a fellow CJ owner, but now I am so sorry I even shared this. I do apologize. I will go sit in my corner now.
Tn1980cj likes this.

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

post #13 of 44 Old 07-07-2020, 02:35 PM
sonnychiss
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking1Futs View Post
Dam! They couldn't even get the correct model of axle, let alone correct product! I wonder what I will receive and deal with when mine arrives? The correct product number is 545007 for the Auburn Gear ECTED Max. That is the product number in my order and shown on the website and corresponds to the ECTED Max for a M20 axle from Auburn Gear website (and every other performance/aftermarket company).
https://auburngeardiffs.com/product/...lip-to-lock-2/
Pictures are meaningless as product number determines the product. The advertisement clearly shows a product with a specific and designated product number from the manufacture that corresponds for the product ordered.

Let us know what happens please. As I too ordered the Auburn Gear ECTED Max from the same website, I am sure I will be dealing with the same issue in a few days.
Below is a picture of what arrived. The invoice has the product number as:AUB544907 with a description of "GM 12-Bolt Max Lock Locker Differential"

I sent an inquiry via wal-marts site. I have confirmation from Wal-mart that the vendor will contact me in 24 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200707_151119.jpg  
post #14 of 44 Old 07-07-2020, 02:40 PM
sonnychiss
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
BTW, Auburn does not offer the Max Locker (the lunchbox style pictured) for the M20 axle. Two pictures for one product number. One picture is correct, one is not even available. The correct picture corresponds to the correct part number. But I am sure new levels of *%(#^(^$ will be seen from this.

I thought I could help a fellow CJ owner, but now I am so sorry I even shared this. I do apologize. I will go sit in my corner now.
Yesterday I meant to thank you for posting this but I forgot to do it. Now I guess it's, Thanks for nothing!

Not your fault though, good intentions. I don't have much hope for getting the Ected, I'm sure we'll get a refund though.
post #15 of 44 Old 07-07-2020, 03:08 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Auburn offers the Max Locker (lunchbox) and the ECTED Max. The ECTED is a LS/selectable locker (sort of) that operates electronically. Disengaged, it is a LS diff. Engaged, it is a locking diff (sort of). Always, it offers some level of traction assistance 100% of the time (clutch pack dependent).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ1QipuxoCc

The sort of part is the locking (as far as I can tell) still depends on the clutch pack. So if the clutches are completely worn out, it will not lock. There will always be some sort of slippage too. New, they are reported as being very tight which makes sense. That is my understanding. Auburn has a program they call D-REX (a return policy), as the clutch pack (cones to be correct) is not a serviceable product. In the program, they will replace the unit for a discounted price. That means swapping out the carrier, which means axle setup every time.
Obviously, there are some downsides to the product, but there are some really good sides too. You can lock it on the fly, and the lock response is instant. For my purpose, it will be just fine (in theory). It depends upon receiving the correct product to begin with!!!!
OK. Sounds like they improved the unit so the clutch packs lock up more solidly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in