Fuses Good gauges wipers back up lights not - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 30YR_MCPO

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2021, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
30YR_MCPO

1978 CJ5 

Fuses Good gauges wipers back up lights not

78 CJ5 - motor died, found loose positive battery cable. Tightened cable CJ came back to life. Except fuel, voltage I noticed weren't working. Got to the house, checked fuses , which all were good. Further troubleshooting revealed back up lights and wipers aren't working either. All exterior lights , blower, turn , stop , turn signals work. Kinda lost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2021, 04:11 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well, Voltmeter comes directly off one section of the ignition switch.
No fuses.
If the voltmeter is not getting any power than blower, turn , stop , turn signals would not work either.
It could be a loose connection or ground on the voltmeter.

The Back Up lights draw power from another section of the ignition switch. Then to a fuse and to the backup lamp switch.

The power for the ignition comes off the third section of the ignition switch, no fuses.
That is also were the fuel and temp gauges get there power except they go through a fuse.
Since the engine is running, there is no problem with the ignition switch.

Exterior lights draw power directly from the battery through the headlight switch.

So I think we are going to have to use a test light and just see where we have power and don't have power.
We have to test both sides of the fuse with a test light ar a bad fuse socket will cause problems even if the fuse is good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 8 Old 05-02-2021, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
30YR_MCPO

1978 CJ5 

Thanks John! Yes, rewired about 10 years ago with Centec universal harness and fuse block. Everything under the hood checks good, checked gauge fuse - fuse good, have power at the fuse. Same with backup lights and fuel. I just can't get my arms around why this happened, seems the fusible links would fry first. So that leads me to believe their wires are fried them up the loom up behind the dash, which I was really hoping I would have to go there. huh!

post #4 of 8 Old 05-03-2021, 03:58 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well it's possible the OEM schematic won't help in this situation. Did centrec give you a schematic?

post #5 of 8 Old 05-03-2021, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
30YR_MCPO

1978 CJ5 

Correct, OEM isn't helpful at all. I did this rewire job myself back about 10 years ago, when I could bend more efficiently and 70 pounds ago. It's not the space shuttle, so I thought until now have to apply troubleshooting technique. This is the point where you separate the wiring Router/Spicer guy from an electrician. No schematic, I still have the install instructions that I've been reading over. The kit was very easy step by step, wires were labeled exactly what they were, and the write up gave precise instruction where they go and 1/3 costs of Painless at the time. From that stand point, everything worked like it should and it did until now. I just can't understand how I can have power at the fuse box (12V), have continuity, yet have no power at the plug. Just don't had up! Thanks for the conversation!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-03-2021, 10:08 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Try wiggling the fuse to see if the socket is making a tight connection.

You could also turn the rower off and use an ohm meter from the fuse to the plug.
Try it with both the fuse installed and not installed.

It could be a broken wire, bad crimp or something else.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-03-2021, 10:14 AM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Wasn’t there a recent post in this forum about a fuse that outwardly looked fine but tested bad?

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2021, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
30YR_MCPO

1978 CJ5 

Well finally got around to solving this mystery. After doing the test light, multi-meter and jiggle wire test, i was just verifying what i already knew. Things aren’t working! Pigtail. On the centec harness they use a pigtail so you can pull the dash and remove it without unhooking almost everything. The pigtail was plugged in at an angle so that’s was the 80 percent solution - the back lights - those wires got bounced around and ended up on top of the glass pack - and became one with the exhaust. Reseated pigtail and reran new wire to backup switch. Now i just need some gas,
John Strenk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in