Fuse box connector broke. How do I fix it? - JeepForum.com
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 02-22-2020, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Fuse box connector broke. How do I fix it?

As many of you have seen I have a running thread on the mess that is my fuse box. I broke this out (pun intended) so that hopefully someone doesn't have to dig in the future. My ignition wire that plugs into the back of the fuse box broke off, leaving the spade in the box.

1. How the heck does that thing come out?
2. Can you repair the pings that hold a fuse in place? Mine are gapped a bit.
3. I had 2 other male prongs that came out from the fuse that appeared to be for different connectors that were used. I imagine those aren't needed.

Thank you, this is going to be a fun run to the auto store and hopefully I don't have to buy a whole new wiring harness.

Attached Thumbnails
Broken.jpg   Fuse.jpg   BrokenConnect.jpg  

PNW Represent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-22-2020, 08:42 PM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

That looks like the one in the pic I put below. You'll have to insert a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver inside to unlock the fuse holder terminal so it can slide out the fuse panel from the rear. In the pic you can see how you must bend the locking tabs to release the terminal. After you get the broken termination out, re-termination back onto the wire isn't so bad. You can get buy with a regular pair of crimpers and just get it on the wire.

To tighten up a fuse holder termination you'll have to remove it from the fuse panel and use a tool that can restore the original shape of the termination. However doing so might work harden and break it. Might consider just replacing it since you must remove it anyhow. Guess that depends on how much wire slack you have available. Might need a wire stretcher too.
Attached Images

John Strenk and uw91 like this.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 02-22-2020, 09:41 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Wire stretcher ?

Yeah, I agree. This is the best wat to do it.
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 30 Old 02-22-2020, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
That looks like the one in the pic I put below. You'll have to insert a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver inside to unlock the fuse holder terminal so it can slide out the fuse panel from the rear. In the pic you can see how you must bend the locking tabs to release the terminal. After you get the broken termination out, re-termination back onto the wire isn't so bad. You can get buy with a regular pair of crimpers and just get it on the wire.

To tighten up a fuse holder termination you'll have to remove it from the fuse panel and use a tool that can restore the original shape of the termination. However doing so might work harden and break it. Might consider just replacing it since you must remove it anyhow. Guess that depends on how much wire slack you have available. Might need a wire stretcher too.
I worked it out and after looking through the wiring 101, tracking down the Google Drive that had the images, I ordered the wrong clips... then looked at the plug I pulled out and ordered what you had above. Glad that I'm on the track. I'll probably be replacing a couple of them and purchased the connector pull.

I hope I snagged the correct ones. Grabbed 12 and 14-16 gauges for the diff sized suckers.
Attached Images

John Strenk and TIPPEDITOVER like this.

PNW Represent
post #5 of 30 Old 02-23-2020, 08:49 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

If you're doing any wiring at all, do your self a favor and get one of these. I've had one in my box for thirty years and it is simply indispensable. They can be had for under ten bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
lisle-auto-diagnostic-testing-tools-lis56500-64_1000.jpg  

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #6 of 30 Old 02-23-2020, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
If you're doing any wiring at all, do your self a favor and get one of these. I've had one in my box for thirty years and it is simply indispensable. They can be had for under ten bucks.
Thanks for the tool drop. I picked up a set of keys that match the tool in the pic and the 101, but now after looking at that thing it appears a little more power packed than a single key. 8.92 on Amazon, what the heck, why not.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Picked up 2 sets of Con III series terminals for different gauges and Iíll be dialed in now.

PNW Represent
post #7 of 30 Old 02-24-2020, 06:46 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Looks like this has been well answered, but I'll chime in with a couple points.

In your second picture, there is a white/black stripe wire going to an accessory port. There are actual plugs designed to fit that port. And, specific terminals to fit the plugs.

If you are interested, I usually have some on hand. This includes the plastic plugs by themselves, new terminals, and also plugs with a short wire pigtail (original terminal in place in the plug).
Attached Thumbnails
CJ fuse box markup.jpg   IMG_6913.jpg  

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks
post #8 of 30 Old 02-24-2020, 06:49 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

While you can use regular crimpers on these terminals with a little practice, there are specific crimpers designed for them that crimp both the wire portion and insulation portion of the terminal in one operation.

They aren't cheap, but work extremely well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3967.jpg   IMG_3968.jpg   IMG_3969.jpg  
TIPPEDITOVER and uw91 like this.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks
post #9 of 30 Old 02-24-2020, 06:57 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

I've done a lot of wiring work over the years, and have boxes of "terminal removal tools". Some specifically designed for the purpose, and others not. I used knitting needles for years.... I have the tool Jeepdaddy2000 shows and another like it.

I picked up these simple tools a while back, and now they get the most use. If you are doing much wiring work, these are worth having around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metri-Pack-...YAAOSwol5Y1GaG
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600-2.jpg  
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.

post #10 of 30 Old 02-24-2020, 06:59 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

schardein, Mind if I steal some of these pictures?
I can see some good uses for them.
I'll acknowledge them as yours if I use them.

post #11 of 30 Old 02-24-2020, 07:06 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
schardein, Mind if I steal some of these pictures?
I can see some good uses for them.
I'll acknowledge them as yours f I use them.
Absolutely. I'm all about getting the knowledge out there. I wish I had the resources we have today, when I was first starting out. This forum for the knowledge, the internet for research and the ability to order tools that are normally only available to dealers or manufacturers.
uw91 likes this.

post #12 of 30 Old 02-24-2020, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schardein View Post
Looks like this has been well answered, but I'll chime in with a couple points.

In your second picture, there is a white/black stripe wire going to an accessory port. There are actual plugs designed to fit that port. And, specific terminals to fit the plugs.

If you are interested, I usually have some on hand. This includes the plastic plugs by themselves, new terminals, and also plugs with a short wire pigtail (original terminal in place in the plug).

I think the picture was straight on and didn't allow you to see the terminal plug. Included a side view.

Also, what is that massive GTE fuse coming out from the wiper slot???? Is it simply a heavy duty 5A?

PS: Love the pics! I'm getting the terminals and the crimping tool shown today, thanks to so much info here.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot at Feb 24 08-44-52.jpg  
schardein likes this.

PNW Represent
post #13 of 30 Old 02-24-2020, 10:05 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

That's an auto reset fuse, that's why it's bigger.
uw91 likes this.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
post #14 of 30 Old 02-24-2020, 10:06 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw91 View Post
I think the picture was straight on and didn't allow you to see the terminal plug. Included a side view.

Also, what is that massive GTE fuse coming out from the wiper slot???? Is it simply a heavy duty 5A?

PS: Love the pics! I'm getting the terminals and the crimping tool shown today, thanks to so much info here.
Haha, looking back at the first picture, I can see it now. Sometimes you see people use standard 1/4" spade terminals to plug into those ports, and while it works, it isn't secure like the oem plastic plug with its clip.

The wiper circuit uses a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. If your wipers are clogged by ice and snow, or jammed for any reason, the increased amperage flow causes the circuit breaker to "break" the circuit. When it cools down, it reconnects the circuit. The idea being when that happens, hopefully whatever was jamming the wipers has been cleared. It's a safety feature, so one doesn't have to replace a fuse to get the wipers working again.

EDIT: I see you have an aftermarket replacement flasher. I use the same one since I have LED taillights and front markers.
TIPPEDITOVER and Tinker0000 like this.

post #15 of 30 Old 02-24-2020, 10:14 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardein View Post
Haha, looking back at the first picture, I can see it now. Sometimes you see people use standard 1/4" spade terminals to plug into those ports, and while it works, it isn't secure like the oem plastic plug with its clip.
Guilty..

Quote:
The wiper circuit uses a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. If your wipers are clogged by ice and snow, or jammed for any reason, the increased amperage flow causes the circuit breaker to "break" the circuit. When it cools down, it reconnects the circuit. The idea being when that happens, hopefully whatever was jamming the wipers has been cleared. It's a safety feature, so one doesn't have to replace a fuse to get the wipers working again.
Exactly, While wasting a socket. I often thought of turning it around..

Quote:
EDIT: I see you have an aftermarket replacement flasher. I use the same one since I have LED taillights and front markers.
However the 84 to 86 CJ isn't suppose to have the turn signal flasher in this location.
schardein and uw91 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in