Fuel Gauge stuck on 3/4 - need advice where to start... - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldschool74cj5

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-27-2020, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Fuel Gauge stuck on 3/4 - need advice where to start...

Thanks in advance - I love this forum, and although time and money (and stage of life) have limited my ability to tackle Jeep projects, I still read the forum - almost daily. Everyone has been most helpful over the years!

I have an 86 CJ7 - and ALL the gauges worked, until recently. My fuel gauge doesn't go below 3/4 of a tank. If I fill it up completely.....it will go up and peg all the way at the "F".....and as I drive it....gradually drop to 3/4 but will never go below that.

Can someone give me some advice on where to start? Is there a float in the tank? I have the FSM - but I'm having trouble finding where there is a blowout of the parts associated with the fuel tank / gauge....unless I'm missing some of the manual. The only fuel related systems all deal with under the hood - not with the tank - at least on my version.

Thanks a ton!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-27-2020, 11:47 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes there is a float in the tank.
The wiper could of gotten stuck on the windings in the sending unit but unlikely.

But I would check to see if regulator is working on the fuel gauge.
Terminal "A" should flash it you put a test light on it. Ground the test light to the battery (-) post. Don't ground it to your dash, that may be the problem.

It could be a simple ground problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 5 Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Yes there is a float in the tank.
The wiper could of gotten stuck on the windings in the sending unit but unlikely.
But I would check to see if regulator is working on the fuel gauge.
Terminal "A" should flash it you put a test light on it. Ground the test light to the battery (-) post. Don't ground it to your dash, that may be the problem.
It could be a simple ground problem.

Thanks John. I did find some instructions in the FSM under the instrumentation section - a diagnostic tree / charts. I'm still not able to find any diagram of the tank, float, etc....
As you suggest, I'm hoping it's something simple and not inside the tank - but I'm slightly concerned as it does "work" when it's between the range of 3/4 full to full. The diagnostic tree in the manual doesn't even really reference that problem, which makes me think it may be the float.

I'll test tonight as you suggest and report back. Thx for your help!

post #4 of 5 Old 05-28-2020, 11:26 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

You might also try disconnecting the wire from the sending unit. If the gauge drops to E, then the issue is probably in the tank. If it drops back down to 3/4, then the gauge may be stuck.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #5 of 5 Old 05-28-2020, 12:22 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

over the years of many jeeps fuel gauges i use the only reliable one i have. the speedometer. i fill up every 150-200 miles. for me that is 1/3 to 1/8 of a tank. when i was young and had a 401 in a 7 i carried a jerry can. when she sputtered it was time to dump it in and go fill both of them up.

oldschool
Jim1611 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in