Fuel filter or fuel sending unit? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Dborns
1984 CJ7 

Fuel filter or fuel sending unit?

I’ve had an issue recently with my Jeep dying while driving lately. It’s happened about 5 times, the first when I was idling at a stop. It started bogging down and sounding like it was going to die so I gave it some gas. It stumbled then died, I got it to start up, but it was difficult. I then drove away and it just died. Started again and got it home, but as soon as I turned into the neighborhood, at about 25 mph, it dies again. I did the “rolling jumpstart” and got it going, but then right at my drive it died and wouldn’t turn over at all.

In-line 6, 5 speed. Full tank of gas. Battery and alternator test good. I did do an external fuel filter when I built this, but I can’t remember what vehicle it was out of. I’ll attach a pic so hopefully someone recognizes it so I can try that first.

Attached Thumbnails
A6BA4086-3EAA-45E7-A736-4859015EE05B_1627917002959.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Dborns
1984 CJ7 

And to add, after letting it sit in the street for about an hour, it fired right up.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 09:19 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Odd place for the filter.

Do you have an In-tank pump?

If not, the the fuel filter is in the wrong place.
Matt1981CJ7 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Dborns
1984 CJ7 

I believe the pump is in the tank, sorry it’s been awhile since I built this. The motor is from a ‘96 Cherokee, so 4.0, AX-15, and I used a CJ tank with the in tank sending unit. The fuel filter was something I saw on here years ago to do with the sending unit setup I had. I can’t remember what vehicle it actually goes in, so hopefully someone will recognize it so I can start with that before replacing the sending unit.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 10:03 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well that opens up a number of things that can go wrong.

I think the first things those guys check is the crank position sensor. Can you get any error codes out of the computer?

Then as you are thinking, it could be the filter or the pump.
You could probably get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure on the rail to see if that is dropping when you are having problems.

I would hate to see you go through all that work when all you had to replace a sensor on the bell housing.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #6 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Dborns
1984 CJ7 

I can run the codes to see if there are any. I’m sure they’ll be quite a few since this was a Cherokee motor cobbled into the existing wiring…. Actually John, you helped me with quite a bit of that electrical work, so thanks for posting on this.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Dborns
1984 CJ7 

Would a bad CPS cause an ongoing issue or intermittent issue like mine? It’ll drive normal for awhile, then start bogging down and die like mentioned.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 10:43 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I would replace the filter anyway just because of age. Take it to a local Napa store and see if they can match it up. They used to have picture books where they could identify parts. Maybe they have something similar on the computer.

If you remove the filter and carefully clean the grime with soak and water (block off the ports with tape) you may find a part number. Brake cleaner will remove the part number that is printed on the case.

If you have a welder, I would shorten the mount on that bracket a bit as it seems to be rubbing on the floor.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 11:19 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Check these out:

https://www.amazon.com/FRAM-G8414-In...15109246&psc=1

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PSX2...zNAeKjcnBszQ9i

A better picture:

https://jeepmania.eu/en/fuel-filters...j-40l-42l.html

The Napa will be made by Wix and is much better than the Fram. Friends don't let friends use Fram filters. (Their standard grad oil filters are S**t!).

The application (if that is the correct one) is a 1999-2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ, 4.0L/4.2L.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Dborns
1984 CJ7 

I noticed it is too close to the floor after taking the pic, thanks. I can bend it down some to move it away.

Thanks for the links. I would have googled fuel filters for a Cherokee, but for some reason I thought this was off a different vehicle because something to do with fuel pressure?

I did the “magic” Seafoam treatment just to see if maybe it would clean out the fuel system if that’s the issue, and ran it around the block. No issues, but this started to happen after about an hour of driving, so a quick drive won’t tell me anything. I’ll have to wait until my wife’s off work to run it to get tested in case it dies in me.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 11:44 AM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Fuel cap vent failed? Draws and draws until it cant draw no more, due to vacuum created in the tank? Just thinkin'.....
post #12 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Dborns
1984 CJ7 

Just the way it acted while idling, and having it bog down and die when I gassed it made me think fuel starvation for sure.
But then turning a corner two miles later and losing everything, and then having it start right up later confused me.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 12:02 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

You could also have a bunch of junk in the tank and it is plugging up the pre-filter screen on the pickup. I have seen cases where after the vehicle runs for a while the gunk builds up on the pickup and the vehicle has no power. After it sits a while it will run fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dborns View Post
Just the way it acted while idling, and having it bog down and die when I gassed it made me think fuel starvation for sure.
But then turning a corner two miles later and losing everything, and then having it start right up later confused me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in