front bumper...chrome vs stainless - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-04-2021, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Superjeep3

1984 CJ7 

front bumper...chrome vs stainless

Heya all, I have had a real problem finding a chrome front bumper for my 84 cj7. Some people have been super helpful, but the chrome bumper they have needs more work and knowhow than I can commit too, and others just don't really get back to you.

I have been looking at maybe getting a stainless replica, but have not experiance with how close they look to oem and quality. I would love to get your opinions on this, and if you have a chrome front bumper in good shape you are trying to part with.

Thanks for the help...as always.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-05-2021, 04:56 AM
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

If you want an exact duplicate of stock, you can have a used bumper rechromed, but expect to lose a paycheck or 2 if you want a nice job. The Stainless is inexpensive but looks good, I have one on my '76. It is thinner than a chrome/steel bumper but it is shiney.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-05-2021, 06:51 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Stock bumpers are hard to find, even plain black ones. Took me 8 month's to find a decent black one that was dent and rust free and no "extra" holes in it other than OEM.

You won't like replacement bumpers that are out there as they are thinner, have larger mounting holes and the crimps on the end are not like OEM. That was my biggest pet peeve, inaccurate crimping on the ends of the bumper and why the one I bought over 15 years ago is still in the box. Posted a photo that shows the difference between the OEM and aftermarket versions here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/c.../#post40238033

If you decide on stainless, go with one made by Kentrol. Here: https://www.kentrolinc.com/products/...idCategory=106 They lack OEM holes for front license plate mounting and the holes on the end for the OEM extension bumpers though.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #4 of 8 Old 09-05-2021, 11:13 AM
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

I recently had two done, straightened and rechromed. Cost $350 each and the are perfect

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
post #5 of 8 Old 09-05-2021, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Superjeep3

1984 CJ7 

As always Keith, thank you for the awesome information.

Scotty, I sent you a pm.

I'm not giving up yet, but I am kicking myself for getting rid of stuff when I first started this restoration.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-05-2021, 03:53 PM
254Triple
1972 CJ5 

Garage
I don't have any clue if this could help as I don't know differences in bumpers through the years, but I have an OEM front bumper from my 1972 CJ5. It is not bent or kinked but does have some blemishes from a PO using a cutoff disc to get the bolts off. If this one is of any interest I can snap some pics an send to you. It was originally chrome but was whiz wheeled due to surface rust etc. It is definitely a candidate to re-chrome or paint, but I went a different route and put Dirtworx front and rear bumpers on mine. I also have the rear trailer hitch that weighs about what the jeep weighs, that thing was built way stronger than the jeep frame etc. I believe it is the factory one also. Shipping charges would probably be a no go unless you are ever in Salt Lake City, UT.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-05-2021, 09:40 PM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

I could not get good rechroming here, tried one and spent $120 but it was lousy. So I have painted the chrome black, to keep rust at bay until I find a good rechroming operation.

Stainless steel is an option but can be softer than carbon steel, and if thinner you know it will not take the bumps that an OEM did.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #8 of 8 Old 09-06-2021, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Superjeep3

1984 CJ7 

I will keep looking. There is a place in Fort Worth that does chrome work, but I have no idea of the cost or anything. Im getting close to being what I would call "Done"...if that is even a thing. I just gave a few odds and ends to find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in