Front axle? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By scooby533

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
ghosted3
1984 CJ7 

Front axle?

I have asked before about what is needed to run 35s / 37s, and so far I have found most of the things needed. The 1 major thing that I am missing is the front axle. I am not sure if I am searching for the wrong item, or if I misunderstood the suggestion. So I am back to ask which one is recommended by the community. Thanks for your help.

Corry

Corry
Hillsboro, Illinois
1984 CJ7 project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 04:56 AM
StrippedTorx

Some sort of stretch would be ideal.
A braking system that can handle it.
Enough power to turn them.
Deeper gears.
Strong enough shafts to do what you want to do.
And obviously enough clearance to run that size tire.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 07:18 AM
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

If you are looking for a suggestion, you are going to get a lot of preference. Dana 44 can handle 35s all day long, but may require some upgrades if your going to wheel. Dana 60 would be about perfect for both, but its large and heavy.
Chevy 14 bolt would also be a nice upgrade to handle those tire sizes as well.
What we dont know is your intended use; rocks, mud, light trail use, mall crawling etc. the Dana 30, if up graded a bit, can handle those 35s for light wheeling but not rock crawling. Just trail riding and occasional mud.
Lot of members will balk at that last comment, but a good friend of mine has ran 35s on his Dana 30 front diff for better than 15 years with Very Light Wheeling and has had no real adverse affects other than the steering components wearing out a good bit quicker than the 30 stock size tires. That said, its lived most of its life in Coastal Low Country South Carolina where the roads are very flat and the soil isnt very gummy. More sand make up than anything. He also changes the gear oil with synthetic every 4-5th oil change.
Shawn
OrangeCJ-5 likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 08:14 AM
StrippedTorx

I agree completely with the above poster.
It’s all about what you want to do.
I’m on 37s w/ a built 44.
It’s expensive no doubt.
And can easily cost as much as you want it to.
I could’ve probably built a halfway built 60 for what I have into it.
But it’s what I wanted. So I’m happy with it.

Compare new cost parts of 44 and 60 with your bank account and what you’re going to be wheeling. That will help you decide for yourself what’s the best fit for you!
post #5 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
ghosted3
1984 CJ7 

My bad about not leaving info on intentions. This is going to be mostly a toy. The only places I really plan to drive it is to and from places to try to get it stuck, and occasionally to take my daughter to school because she loves jeeps too. As for what I plan on doing with it, it will be a little more mudding / trails, but I would like to rock crawl as well a little bit because I would love to go to Moab and run some of the easier things out there. I know how the preference thing is too, I have had some interactions that people tell me for what I would like to do that I do not need any bigger than 33s, then a little bit later another person tells me I need at least 35s, but most likely 37s. So I am just trying to check into all of them and see which one makes the most sense for me and my wallet before I throw wads of money at it. Thanks again for the help it is much appreciated.

Corry

Corry
Hillsboro, Illinois
1984 CJ7 project
post #6 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 09:24 AM
littleblackjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My wifes 2drJKRubi played fine with 33s in mud and some fun trails in Moab - FinsNThings, PoisonSpider and HellsRevenge - with stock dana44s on stock wheels with a 2.5 BDS lift.
Weve since added 35s, upgraded steering, added outer C braces, replaced unit bearings and no ill effects to the dana44. The axles though would stand a taller gear, stock 4.10 currently.

If we went bigger Id go d60 axles, 5.38gears, 4 long arm and/or coilover linked suspension, hyd assist. Probably leap frog 37s to 40s with a stretch.

'95 YJ
GM 350, SM420, NP231 SYE, Fnt. D60 SOA 4.10, Rr. D60 SOA 4.10 Detroit Locker, Fnt.Sus. N/A. Rr.Sus. XJ Springs, RuffStuff Wayback.
YJ Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-girlfriend-1327158/
post #7 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 09:49 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
Garage Racer

1978 CJ5 

6 yrs ago I installed a heavy duty 8 lug D44 out of a 78' Chevy 3/4 ton in my CJ with 1/2" thick wall axle tubes. I have always run 37" tires on it. It's been rock crawled, mudded and abused in alot of other ways and still is today. It never has had a truss, has always been leaf spring suspension config. I did install alloy stubs and the long side inner is alloy as well. Not because I broke anything, because I narrowed it 4" and used long side alloy shaft out of a mid 80's Wagoneer. Short side inner is OEM Dana.

Nothing has ever broke. Yet. I do wheel with my brain and not my right foot. If I get bound up, I unbound instead of trying to power through it. I don't full throttle assault hill climbs, I take it easy first as see if I can make it and usually I do, because the lockers and sticky tires get the job done. If I do use wheel spin, I make sure best I can not to hit anything that will cause sudden traction and snap an inner, or hub. The correct D44 will live using 37" tires if you are careful. If that's not your style then it won't work.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 10:23 AM
CSP

My sentiments echo TIPPED's. Have run 37s on a D44 since 2004 and I've had one ujoint pop. You've gotta be conscious that it's a Dana 44 and not a 60 in situations where it might be bound up however.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 12:36 PM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

Sounds like you need to figure out for yourself what size you need. Go to the places you intend to off road and watch some rigs hit the trails and obstacles and see how they perform. My Jeep has evolved over an almost 30 year period and based on my own experience and seat time did I decide how it evolved. Started on 31s then a little lift and 33s then lockers front and back and one piece rear axles. After that a little more lift and 35s and chromoly axles. Then finally stretched, four linked, 3/4 ton Chevy d44 up front with chromoly shafts with heavy ujoints and 14 bolt rear running 38s.

Your dana 30 up front will work with up to 35s. I would still upgrade the axles and ujionts. My CJ did really good on 35s and at times I miss it with that set up.

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
post #10 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Run the 30. just be smart about it. We have been running a 30 in dad's cj-7 with 36's for 10+ years, busted some ujoints/axle yokes in the beginning, but that stopped with chromo shafts and quality joints. finally broke a couple teeth off of the ring gear after 10+ years of midwest wheeling at the badlands, flat nasty, redbird and wa****a. it may seem odd, but I guess it might be a magical jeep as it is also still running the factory t-4...

82 cj-7 258, T-4, dana 300, 4.88 gears and lockrights in both ends.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #11 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 01:27 PM
levergun

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Depends on motor, wheeling style and wheeling terrain. I know for a fact dana 44's on 37's with a v-8 is asking for problems on the east coast. I have seen more dana 44's break shafts than any other axle. If you always wheel like a grandpa and back out when you can't make it a 44 is fine. If you wheel at some of the good east coast parks (Morris mnt, choccolocco, gulches, adventure, etc.) You're going to need throttle and it's going to break. I run 60's but I also like putting the power down when needed.

1979 CJ5 MB OM602 diesel, dana 60/14b, T18, d300
1948 Willys CJ2a LS 4.8/sm465 dana 60's, 38's
post #12 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 01:54 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
\
I do wheel with my brain and not my right foot.
That makes a difference...
post #13 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 03:57 PM
skizriz

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by levergun View Post
Depends on motor, wheeling style and wheeling terrain. I know for a fact dana 44's on 37's with a v-8 is asking for problems on the east coast. I have seen more dana 44's break shafts than any other axle. If you always wheel like a grandpa and back out when you can't make it a 44 is fine. If you wheel at some of the good east coast parks (Morris mnt, choccolocco, gulches, adventure, etc.) You're going to need throttle and it's going to break. I run 60's but I also like putting the power down when needed.
I hear ya'. Ive gone through a couple 44 shafts, front and rear. The chromos and super joints have been holding up so far, but the 14 bolt/ 60 swap will be finished up soon.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-12-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
ghosted3
1984 CJ7 

Thanks again for all of the info and help. It is much appreciated.

Corry

Corry
Hillsboro, Illinois
1984 CJ7 project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in