Frame off is done, now for some "extra" things - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 05-21-2020, 06:49 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

The lead on the ends of the threads is a good idea.
I found longer OEM type studs at NAPA for the front end. I think they were made by Dorman.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #32 of 40 Old 05-21-2020, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
The lead on the ends of the threads is a good idea.
I found longer OEM type studs at NAPA for the front end. I think they were made by Dorman.
Thanks Keith. I checked at my local Napa store but they didn't have what I wanted and he tried to look some up but that didn't turn anything up either. I ordered mine from Moser. I was very impressed with the quality too, especially after chucking them in the lathe and how true they turned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 40 Old 05-21-2020, 11:24 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

How is that replacemnt stud going to work? I am still looking for longer studs for my CJ-7 but have been unable to find any. I spent about an hour on the phone with one of the manufactures a while back and he went over their entier inventory and was unable to help me. I guess I was just not lucky that day. It was my understanding that the knurl presses in the hub and the shoulder centeres the rotor. It does not look like the knurl is long enough to press into the rotor.

How did you hold the stud while in was in the lathe? Did you use a couple of jam nuts and grip the hex? I need to grab some all-thread for a project and plan on using a coupler nut and a jam nut so I can turn the rod down. I do not really like the idea of grabbing the all-thread in my $1500.00 chuck.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I have some ultra glamorous work going on here tonight with the Jeep. My original wheel studs on the front axle are too short, it's the shortest one in the picture. It's about 7/16" shorter than it needs to be to come to the edge of the lug nut. I don't think this is safe. I tried finding some studs that were the same diameter but longer with no luck so I ordered some with the correct thread size and a slightly larger knurl. I plan to drill the hub out to make these work.

post #34 of 40 Old 05-22-2020, 04:19 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Thanks John.

I think something like this as a good permanent electrical hookup would be good to have too. https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/HM48470.html It could be mounted flush in the bumper.
I like this, I too hate the trailer harness hanging around.

Funny how those thing always find the hottest thing to lay against then they fall out.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #35 of 40 Old 05-22-2020, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post
How is that replacemnt stud going to work? I am still looking for longer studs for my CJ-7 but have been unable to find any. I spent about an hour on the phone with one of the manufactures a while back and he went over their entier inventory and was unable to help me. I guess I was just not lucky that day. It was my understanding that the knurl presses in the hub and the shoulder centeres the rotor. It does not look like the knurl is long enough to press into the rotor.

How did you hold the stud while in was in the lathe? Did you use a couple of jam nuts and grip the hex? I need to grab some all-thread for a project and plan on using a coupler nut and a jam nut so I can turn the rod down. I do not really like the idea of grabbing the all-thread in my $1500.00 chuck.

Thanks
This is the stud I used https://www.moserengineering.com/1-2...-press-in.item
The knurl catches both the rotor and hub. Not by much but where can anything go after it's all tight. I drilled the holes out with a 43/64th drill and used a 1/2-20 nut and thick washer to pull them into place with my impact. When I held them in the lathe I took some 7/8" diameter stock 1 1/2" long and tapped it through 1/2-20. Just chuck that stock in the lathe and put it in low gear then grab the head of the stud with some pliers and turn it in. Then chuck the works in the lathe and do the machining.

Mine are all in and I doubt I ever have any problems. Put some anti-sieze on the threads and that washer too by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I like this, I too hate the trailer harness hanging around.

Funny how those thing always find the hottest thing to lay against then they fall out.
Thanks John.
Attached Thumbnails
001 (17).jpg  

My build thread

post #36 of 40 Old 05-22-2020, 06:02 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Thank you for showing me how you held the studs.

I found these when I was searching. They are not exact but probably would work.

https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store...RT-LG-SET.html

I currently am using extended lug nuts.

https://www.brandsport.com/grla-6818...iABEgIZePD_BwE

They work, but I would rather have longer studs installed.
post #37 of 40 Old 05-22-2020, 09:23 PM
74G8R2
1980 CJ7 

Congratulations Jim on getting the Jeep road worthy. Can't wait to see all the projects that show up in your new thread.

Camper
My 1980 CJ7 Build Thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/1980-cj7-love-ya-blue-19508/
post #38 of 40 Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post
Thank you for showing me how you held the studs.

I found these when I was searching. They are not exact but probably would work.

https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store...RT-LG-SET.html

I currently am using extended lug nuts.

https://www.brandsport.com/grla-6818...iABEgIZePD_BwE

They work, but I would rather have longer studs installed.
You're welcome. I'm always glad to be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74G8R2 View Post
Congratulations Jim on getting the Jeep road worthy. Can't wait to see all the projects that show up in your new thread.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to really getting started good on them. It's always nice to have extra input and ideas from you folks on here too.

My build thread

post #39 of 40 Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

What a work of art. Creating a line of items for the do it yourself builder is a big contribution to our hobby. Thanks for keeping us entertained in your creations and in the parts you sell.
post #40 of 40 Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusBlue View Post
What a work of art. Creating a line of items for the do it yourself builder is a big contribution to our hobby. Thanks for keeping us entertained in your creations and in the parts you sell.
Thanks Ron! I hope to be somewhat entertaining

My build thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in