19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 45 Old 04-09-2020, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
Congratulations on the "finished" build Jim... looks great! But as we all know, it will never be finished. I've subscribed to your new thread and will be keeping an eye on your continued journey... Don't be surprised if I continue to hit you up for your thoughts from time to time!
Thanks Bob! If I can help you in anyway I sure will. You've been a big help with me, especially with the electric fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeezjeep View Post
Jim, beautiful Jeep you have. Iím a new owner of Ď75 CJ5 with a 258. Iím glad to read of your affinity for that engine.
Thanks! Congratulations on your Jeep! We used to have a member here, "fatman" that did a frame off and he rebuilt an inline 6 (258) for that. Anyone that kept up with his work would say that it was always top notch. Anyway he told me his 258 felt like driving a V8 but it took allot more to get it to do so. He later thought a V8 would have suited him better but the point is that if you want a 258 and want more power it's to be had. Either stock or modified it's an excellent engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 Old 04-09-2020, 07:35 AM
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Thanks Shawn and Ben! I plan to pick up some material for them next week. You guys going to build your own bumpers? Any ideas on what you want them to be like?
I havenít gone down that road yet Jim. Iíve always liked the Warn front bumper with the small hoop and an 8274 (have one that needs rebuilt) but never liked the ďwĒ cut into the bumper. I do like the rear tire carrier, but havenít ever seen one in person.
I may not fabricate those. Iím working on the 5.7L Chevy engine that will go into my Jeep on and off. Running through wiring for the injection, rebuilding the 700R4. Just a slow process with two kids in travel sports programs. At the moment Iím working on a bathroom remodel.
Iíll follow closely, I love my shackle hangers.......I may love my bumpers too!
Jim1611 likes this.
post #18 of 45 Old 05-04-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

In the process of making a cad drawing of my rear bumper/tire carrier. Really nothing new with it except a couple of add on things I haven't seen allot. Those would be a way to add a rack above the spare tire that attaches much like a hitch receiver and a canoe rack. I think I'd like the canoe rack to not be attached to the swing out carrier.

I measured and drew the tub in it's place in regard to the bumper. It's drawn with a 32" spare and can handle a 36" spare as is.
Attached Thumbnails
CJ Bumper.jpg  

My build thread

post #19 of 45 Old 05-04-2020, 07:14 PM
Bmann412

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
In the process of making a cad drawing of my rear bumper/tire carrier. Really nothing new with it except a couple of add on things I haven't seen allot. Those would be a way to add a rack above the spare tire that attaches much like a hitch receiver and a canoe rack. I think I'd like the canoe rack to not be attached to the swing out carrier.

I measured and drew the tub in it's place in regard to the bumper. It's drawn with a 32" spare and can handle a 36" spare as is.

Looks good Jim! Are you planning to add any brackets to reinforce where it bolts to the rear crossmember?

1998 TJ 5.9l
1978 CJ7 Renegade
2013 JK
post #20 of 45 Old 05-04-2020, 08:36 PM
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Hey Jim! Been a long time. Your jeep looks great! Mine has been in storage for a few years. Mechanic has it and should be getting it this weekend. Nice to see you still on this forum.
post #21 of 45 Old 05-04-2020, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmann412 View Post
Looks good Jim! Are you planning to add any brackets to reinforce where it bolts to the rear crossmember?
Thanks Ben! Yes there will be a very solid way to attach it to the crossmember. It needs to be spaced out away from the crossmember a couple of inches so what actually bolts to it will be a 1/2" plate with holes to match the factory holes. That plate will be welded to the backside of the bumper with the spacing brackets in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmoore View Post
Hey Jim! Been a long time. Your jeep looks great! Mine has been in storage for a few years. Mechanic has it and should be getting it this weekend. Nice to see you still on this forum.
Hi Ned. Thanks for the kind words. Man it's great to see you around! I never laughed so much as I did with that thread of yours "back after 3 days"! Remember that? Man was that allot of laughs! Glad to hear you're getting your Jeep back out. I sure hope to see you around more. It seems allot of the guys that were around back years ago are gone and seeing you here again made my day!

My build thread

post #22 of 45 Old 05-04-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

A little thinking on how to have a canoe rack. I want something that is not permanent and really not attached to the swing out, I may need to let the tailgate down while the canoe is on the rack. I'd also like to be able to haul a ladder or even lumber on it too so it should be sturdy.

Back in the day we used to see post welded to the ends of bumpers as a means to protect the corners of the tub. Well that seems like a good idea and why not use them to attach the rack to the bumper. I could use some solid material 2" in diameter and turn a step on the end that is welded in the hole through the bumper material. Then turn another step down to 1.5" on the top of the post so some 1 3/4" dom would fit down over it. I'm just thinking here so if someone else has some better ideas please chime in.
Attached Thumbnails
rear bumper.jpg  
mikeyboat likes this.

My build thread

post #23 of 45 Old 05-05-2020, 06:57 AM
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

Hey Jim... your bumper / tire rack looks great. I'll be interested to see the final product as that is something I have been thinking about for my Jeep.

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:

I thought I was wrong once... but I was mistaken.
post #24 of 45 Old 05-12-2020, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Hey Jim... your bumper / tire rack looks great. I'll be interested to see the final product as that is something I have been thinking about for my Jeep.
Thanks Bob!

I started doing a little work on the 2x4 tubing for the main part of the bumpers today. There are many ways to get the holes in the tube for the hitch receiver and the D-rings. My thinking is the most easy and accurate way possible. For me that happens to be cutting them on my CNC mill.

I first started by cutting the ends and establishing the length, that happens to be 59". These will get capped with some 3/16" thick material later. Now the rectangular holes for the weld in receiver tube and D-rings. There's no need for any of these parts to fit tight so they get a little clearance.

As you can see the D-rings fit all the way through and can be welded on both sides, as they should be. I lined them up on the same center as the tailgate hinges. Seemed like a good place to me.
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg   001 (7).jpg   002 (5).jpg  

My build thread

post #25 of 45 Old 05-12-2020, 06:45 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Ohhhh. Likey Likey.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #26 of 45 Old 05-12-2020, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Thanks John.

I think something like this as a good permanent electrical hookup would be good to have too. https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/HM48470.html It could be mounted flush in the bumper.

My build thread

post #27 of 45 Old 05-13-2020, 06:56 AM
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

Looking good... I like the trailer wiring idea.

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:

I thought I was wrong once... but I was mistaken.
post #28 of 45 Old 05-13-2020, 08:24 AM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Just throwing this idea out there Jim. You said about wanting to have a carrier above your spare tire. You could do this if you added a vertical center tube in your tire carrier to basically be an inverted hitch tube, so to speak. Then have an L shaped carrier basket that you'd drop down in to it. I did something similar only it fit over the seat area to keep it lower, and I made the L shaped attachment tube fold-able for storage. And I added front support down to my C pillar mounts. Some details are on page 52 of my build thread.
John Strenk and Supraquick like this.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

post #29 of 45 Old 05-13-2020, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Looking good... I like the trailer wiring idea.
Thanks Bob. I want to pursue the wiring thing as I don't like the plug just dangling on the wires like so many are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Just throwing this idea out there Jim. You said about wanting to have a carrier above your spare tire. You could do this if you added a vertical center tube in your tire carrier to basically be an inverted hitch tube, so to speak. Then have an L shaped carrier basket that you'd drop down in to it. I did something similar only it fit over the seat area to keep it lower, and I made the L shaped attachment tube fold-able for storage. And I added front support down to my C pillar mounts. Some details are on page 52 of my build thread.
Excellent idea and it looks nice too! That hitch receiver on top could be used for other attachments too. Thanks for the ideas

My build thread

post #30 of 45 Old 05-19-2020, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I have some ultra glamorous work going on here tonight with the Jeep. My original wheel studs on the front axle are too short, it's the shortest one in the picture. It's about 7/16" shorter than it needs to be to come to the edge of the lug nut. I don't think this is safe. I tried finding some studs that were the same diameter but longer with no luck so I ordered some with the correct thread size and a slightly larger knurl. I plan to drill the hub out to make these work.
Attached Thumbnails
009.jpg  

My build thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in