Frame off is done, now for some "extra" things - JeepForum.com
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 04-07-2020, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Frame off is done, now for some "extra" things

Well now it's legal to drive on the road, got the license today. The engine runs nice, starts good and everything seems to work as it should. It drives on the highway better than I thought it would. I have a few thoughts on things after driving it around.

1. Detroit lockers do not cause erratic behavior during acceleration, turning or slowing down. I've seen that posted so many times and complaints about them being dangerous but mine works like it's not even there on the road. I like it.

2. With no top or doors there is a big need for a center console. Not only for my coke but also somewhere to put things that's safe. At least from getting blown out on the highway. So that's an upcoming project.

3. My exhaust is too loud. We talked about this on my build thread and I will likely add some catalytic converters.

4. I need bumpers and the rear will be a swing out tire carrier type. Front will have a built in mount for my Warn 8274 winch.

5. I like it!

I also want my thread to be open to others that have fabrication thoughts and problems. I intend it to be an ongoing thing and will build most everything myself that I want. I hope to have some new parts on my website www.crabtreetool.com to sell. Especially for those that might want to build some of their own stuff but want to buy some pre-made parts for that. So welcome to my new thread for the ongoing projects that are to come and a big thanks to so many friends I've made here that have helped in so many ways

Attached Thumbnails
001 (11).jpg   001 (12).jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 04-07-2020, 04:25 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It looks beautiful, Jim. Job well done, my friend.

All the best to you and yours.

Matt

post #3 of 45 Old 04-07-2020, 05:07 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Looks good Jim.

Sometimes I wish I had a V8 engine to tool around with. With your 4.10 gears and 32" tires, it must move like a bat out of hell.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #4 of 45 Old 04-07-2020, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
It looks beautiful, Jim. Job well done, my friend.

All the best to you and yours.

Matt
Thanks Matt! I hope all is well with you and your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Looks good Jim.

Sometimes I wish I had a V8 engine to tool around with. With your 4.10 gears and 32" tires, it must move like a bat out of hell.
Thanks Keith. The more I drive it the better it runs. I suppose the ECM has had to "learn" as they are said to do and it's brand new so everything has to wear in. When I first started driving it I thought it was going to be a real dog and was let down but that's changed. Funny you mention wishing you had a V8. I look back at times and wish I'd have rebuilt my 258! Mainly because I love that engine. It was one of the best inline 6s ever built, I think. I think with an EFI system on one they'd be hard to beat for an all around engine.

My build thread

post #5 of 45 Old 04-08-2020, 06:52 AM
ranger83
1986 CJ7 

Looks amazing Jim! I have followed your thread and others on here and have always gotten great advice. I love the color you chose and I would be interested in seeing what you come up with for a rear bumper. That is my next project (I hope).

Mark

Ranger83
86 CJ7(current)
83CJ5(former)
post #6 of 45 Old 04-08-2020, 07:39 AM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
"1. Detroit lockers do not cause erratic behavior during acceleration, turning or slowing down. I've seen that posted so many times and complaints about them being dangerous but mine works like it's not even there on the road. I like it."
Give it time. They don't drive bad but don't be too surprised when your pulling out of somewhere on a turn and you hear a sudden pop, like you'd swear your u-joint or axle just snapped. It's the soft locker not being so soft. It'll be random and far between. That's been my experience with the one in my rear. But after 4 years all is still good.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

post #7 of 45 Old 04-08-2020, 07:44 AM
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

I look forward to both bumper builds! I require both, so make sure you pattern for duplication!!
Enjoy the heck out of your job well done.
Shawn
post #8 of 45 Old 04-08-2020, 09:14 AM
Bmann412

Garage
Jeep turned out great Jim! Looking forward to what you come up with for the bumpers!

1998 TJ 5.9l
1978 CJ7 Renegade
2013 JK
post #9 of 45 Old 04-08-2020, 02:21 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Well done and congratulations Jim!

You are even making me reconsider my long standing dislike of olive drab on jeeps; she's a BEAUT!

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #10 of 45 Old 04-08-2020, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger83 View Post
Looks amazing Jim! I have followed your thread and others on here and have always gotten great advice. I love the color you chose and I would be interested in seeing what you come up with for a rear bumper. That is my next project (I hope).

Mark
Thanks Mark! Glad you're enjoying the threads on the forum too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
"1. Detroit lockers do not cause erratic behavior during acceleration, turning or slowing down. I've seen that posted so many times and complaints about them being dangerous but mine works like it's not even there on the road. I like it."
Give it time. They don't drive bad but don't be too surprised when your pulling out of somewhere on a turn and you hear a sudden pop, like you'd swear your u-joint or axle just snapped. It's the soft locker not being so soft. It'll be random and far between. That's been my experience with the one in my rear. But after 4 years all is still good.
That's already happened, the popping that is. I can live with that just fine. I suppose they may behave different after they get some wear though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby533 View Post
I look forward to both bumper builds! I require both, so make sure you pattern for duplication!!
Enjoy the heck out of your job well done.
Shawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmann412 View Post
Jeep turned out great Jim! Looking forward to what you come up with for the bumpers!
Thanks Shawn and Ben! I plan to pick up some material for them next week. You guys going to build your own bumpers? Any ideas on what you want them to be like?

My build thread

post #11 of 45 Old 04-08-2020, 02:39 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

i like the o.d. color of the jeep. question is what paint did you use for it. my 7 is a o.d. green but fading. i have some body work to do because looks like P.O. tried to bondo over the rust in a couple of spots which never works. after i do that im looking getting some steely wheels to mimic the old kelsey hayes renegade steel wheels. i want her back to a satin O.D. green with a flat or satin black accessories.

oldschoolcj5
post #12 of 45 Old 04-08-2020, 03:16 PM
Nor Cal CJ5

AWESOME job Jim!!!

I am not one that likes changing engines from original manufacture, but you have done a fantastic job installing that small block Ford. I absolutely hate when people throw a small block Chevy into a jeep, mainly because they never do it with the final goal that you have.

I have not looked at your build thread or even know if there is one out there. That is such a clean build (all around) and you will be able to service any of the engine parts, very easily forever.

1972 CJ5 304 V8, 3 speed manual trans
post #13 of 45 Old 04-08-2020, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Well done and congratulations Jim!

You are even making me reconsider my long standing dislike of olive drab on jeeps; she's a BEAUT!

Hoss
Thanks John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

i like the o.d. color of the jeep. question is what paint did you use for it. my 7 is a o.d. green but fading. i have some body work to do because looks like P.O. tried to bondo over the rust in a couple of spots which never works. after i do that im looking getting some steely wheels to mimic the old kelsey hayes renegade steel wheels. i want her back to a satin O.D. green with a flat or satin black accessories.

oldschoolcj5
I got the paint here https://www.armyjeepparts.com/t-GCI_paint.aspx It's the WWII version. Enamel and did not use any clear coat but they now have a low sheen clear coat I'm told. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal CJ5 View Post
AWESOME job Jim!!!

I am not one that likes changing engines from original manufacture, but you have done a fantastic job installing that small block Ford. I absolutely hate when people throw a small block Chevy into a jeep, mainly because they never do it with the final goal that you have.

I have not looked at your build thread or even know if there is one out there. That is such a clean build (all around) and you will be able to service any of the engine parts, very easily forever.

Here's my build thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/j...build-1093702/ Many pictures are missing. We had some problems on the forum with pictures being lost and such. I have everything though so if you run across something you'd like to see just let me know.

My intent on engine choice centered around a good EFI system. I always liked the Ford version on the 5.0 and knew it would work good for my needs. Which included using it in the Rockies for hunting. I live in Missouri so anything other than EFI does not do so well unless you tune it for that area. Mine will run there as good as it does here. No need to change anything. It's got enough power that once you get going and shift to 3rd and stay under about 45 mph you really don't need to shift at all. It might lug the engine a little on a steep road but it goes on a pulls fine. That is at slow speed, after you get up to about 25 mph hour it's very lively.

The 258 is one of the best engines ever made. There have been times I wish I'd have bought an aftermarket EFI for it but am happy with my Ford engine. Were I to do another it would likely be the 258 with some add ones to raise the power and make it dependable.
Nor Cal CJ5 likes this.

My build thread

post #14 of 45 Old 04-08-2020, 07:21 PM
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

Congratulations on the "finished" build Jim... looks great! But as we all know, it will never be finished. I've subscribed to your new thread and will be keeping an eye on your continued journey... Don't be surprised if I continue to hit you up for your thoughts from time to time!

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:

I thought I was wrong once... but I was mistaken.
post #15 of 45 Old 04-08-2020, 11:50 PM
jdeezjeep

1975 CJ5 

Jim, beautiful Jeep you have. I’m a new owner of ‘75 CJ5 with a 258. I’m glad to read of your affinity for that engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in