Ford T-18 cover replacement - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By CSP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-15-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
ksouthw80

Ford T-18 cover replacement

Hello
I have a Ford T-18 (WR) I'm getting ready to rebuild and the top cast cover is broken @ the area where the pin slides in to keep the shift lever from rotating. I picked up a T-98 cast cover today which will work but there is no place to mount the back up light switch - not too big of a deal but would have been nice. Has anyone seen this? What kind of vehicle didn't require reverse lights? A TUG maybe. Anyway just wondering if anyone has run into this. BTW if anyone reading this has a cast cover (2 fork) laying around please let me know. Thanks in advance - I know there are several variations of the T-18.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-15-2020, 06:05 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

There is a low and a high tower version of the early covers. Either will work as long as you have the correct shifter.

Mine broke years ago. I've been running it without the pin. I call it "theft deterrent". I never understood why Dana didn't put two pins in their T98/18 lids.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #3 of 13 Old 02-16-2020, 06:26 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
There is a low and a high tower version of the early covers. Either will work as long as you have the correct shifter.
I've ran into this difference before. I don't remember the details now, but I removed a shifter handle from one transmission and discovered the length of the tip from the pivot ball was wrong for my transmission.

Do you have more info on this, for example, what vehicles used the high or low shift towers? Was it only the older versions with reverse over and forward instead of over and back? What did the later transmissions use, high or low? Do you know a source for this info?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks

post #4 of 13 Old 02-16-2020, 08:44 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardein View Post
I've ran into this difference before. I don't remember the details now, but I removed a shifter handle from one transmission and discovered the length of the tip from the pivot ball was wrong for my transmission.

Do you have more info on this, for example, what vehicles used the high or low shift towers? Was it only the older versions with reverse over and forward instead of over and back? What did the later transmissions use, high or low? Do you know a source for this info?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

I believe the change in shifting patterns (different lids) came in the late 70's, with the change including an aluminum lid.

My info is limited. My original swap consisted of swapping in a Scout mainshaft and mounting the stock t case adapter to a Ford housing and gears. The Ford tower was the "tall" version, the Scout was the shorter one.

Once my lid broke, I attempted to use the Scout lid (which had been laying out in the weather for fifteen years). I found the lid identical to the Ford, with the exception of the longer Ford shifter not fitting into the Scouts shorter tower. Since I didn't have the original Scout shifter, I was forced to backtrack and reinstall the broken Ford tower.

Both transmissions were the early style and both lids were stamped T98. I had originally opted for the Ford lid due to it's two side mounts, which worked perfectly for my V6 single lever t case shifter.

Some of the fixes I've contemplated (other than the obvious replacement):
1 Drill the opposite side and groove the shifter ball. I may end up doing this if I find a replacement regardless since the inherent flaw is a single pin.

2 Take it to someone who can weld in the broken area, then grind out the socket and re drill the hole.

3 Scour wrecking sites and auto crushers for a suitable replacement. This takes patience and perseverance. I had a complete Scout moving to the crusher about fifteen years ago and was too lazy to trailer it back to remove the transmission.

4 Keep your eyes open on craigslist, ebay, etc. I see them come up from time to time but are usually either attached to a transmission, too expensive, or too far away to get interested.

Thomas Payne
post #5 of 13 Old 02-16-2020, 08:49 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Again, any of the cast iron lids will work as long as you have the correct shifter to go with it.

Thomas Payne
post #6 of 13 Old 02-16-2020, 08:53 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think the T-19 also has the same cast iron lid as the later T-18s.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 Old 02-16-2020, 08:56 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

More of my story: I ended up having several shifter levers. One came as a replacement from Novak (I think) and it was straight, no bends. Another couple came from junkyards and don't remember exactly what.

On my shifter that fit, on looking closely, it looked like the ball on the shifter was forged as one piece. But on my replacement shifter, it looked like the ball was a separate piece and was pressed on. I can't remember if it had a tack weld or not. But what I ended up doing was setting it up in a press and basically pressing the ball to where the tip length now matched my old shifter. I gave it a small tack weld at the bottom to make sure it wouldn't move. It's still working and that was over 10 years ago.

I may know where a T18 is at, complete. In a Ford truck, but no idea what year or if it has the high or low shift tower.

EDIT: I also know where a Scout T19 is at.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks
post #8 of 13 Old 02-16-2020, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
ksouthw80

Things I recently learned - Novak has both sizes of the shift cane. The T98 cast iron cover with NO reverse light option is a very early model. I'm thinking I can live without the back up light.There is a place that sales the cover new but it does not have the reservse light set up. I'll have to find the name of that place again. I'm replacing the T-150 I previously rebuilt and adding the T-18. It will mate to my Tera low'd Dana 20 twin stick set up.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-16-2020, 07:09 PM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksouthw80 View Post
Things I recently learned - Novak has both sizes of the shift cane. The T98 cast iron cover with NO reverse light option is a very early model. I'm thinking I can live without the back up light.There is a place that sales the cover new but it does not have the reservse light set up. I'll have to find the name of that place again. I'm replacing the T-150 I previously rebuilt and adding the T-18. It will mate to my Tera low'd Dana 20 twin stick set up.
You could always wire the reverse lights up to a toggle switch mounted in or below the dash. If there are safety inspections where you are, it might be required.

If you do that, I would use the existing circuit, which is only hot with the key on, so you can't accidentally leave them on and run down your battery.

post #10 of 13 Old 02-16-2020, 10:15 PM
CSP

Quote:
I believe the change in shifting patterns (different lids) came in the late 70's, with the change including an aluminum lid.
The shifting pattern changed from 78 (right and up) to 79 (right and down), but the lid was never aluminum on the T18. I've had one as late as 1984 and it was cast iron. The NP435 does have an aluminum lid.
schardein and Matt1981CJ7 like this.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-17-2020, 05:55 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The shifting pattern changed from 78 (right and up) to 79 (right and down), but the lid was never aluminum on the T18. I've had one as late as 1984 and it was cast iron. The NP435 does have an aluminum lid.
I'm aware of the NP435 (this was the transmission swap of choice in the early Bronco shop I worked in) but I swear, in the dim recesses of my memory, that I had my hands on a late model T18 with an aluminum lid.

Thomas Payne
post #12 of 13 Old 02-17-2020, 06:10 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
I also have never seen or heard of a T18 aluminum top cover. As stated, NP435 had an aluminum top cover, and I've seen a late model SM465 that had an aluminum top cover. But not a T18.

post #13 of 13 Old 02-17-2020, 06:12 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksouthw80 View Post
Things I recently learned - Novak has both sizes of the shift cane.
This would make sense if someone is manufacturing replacements where the pivot ball is separate from the stick and pressed on. It could be placed to fit either the high or low tower. Almost positive the one I modified was from Novak.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in