• 2 Post By keith460
  • 1 Post By Fourtrail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
torkman1983
Retired Air Force
1983 CJ7 

Flat bed trailer setup.

I’m done with my Jeep resto ( for now) and will be moving it from Texas to a cabin in Idaho. Was going to mount a tow bar on it to pull behind my truck, but would have to remove the tube bumpers and do some mods to mount it right. So think it’s best and easier to just rent a flatbed from Uhaul for a one way trip.

No top or doors, just open. Thought it might be a good idea to lower the windshield and strap it down. That would decrease wind drag against the Jeep which will be probably as high as my truck cab when on the trailer. Will likely rain on the trip, but interior floors are all monstaliner and seats are vinyl. Thought I’d pull the floor plugs.

Anything else you might suggest?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 09:39 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I wouldn’t worry about dropping the windshield, I don’t think it will help aerodynamics enough to make a difference, and it’s not worth the trouble, in my opinion. I guess either way will work.

When you load it do not run it all the way forward against the built-in wheel stops that U haul has on their trailers, if you do you will have too much tongue weight. You can roll it all the way foreword and watch how much your truck sags to get an understanding of what I am saying. Unless you have a 1 ton or more truck, I would work on getting the tongue weigh where it should be around 10-15%.

If I was towing it with my Duramax 2500, I would drive on and take note of when the trailer started to make the truck suspension sag. Then I would drive all the way forward against the built-in wheel stops, and again note how much the truck suspension is sagging. Then I would back up to the point I noted the first time, when the truck suspension first started to sag, then I would drive forward probably around a foot, until it’s started to sag more and stop, and strap it down there.

The goal is 10-15% tongue weight on the rear of the truck, but if you have a 1 ton or more, too much tongue weight towing a #3400 Jeep is probably a moot point. It can probably handle the added weight, and drag your little Jeep anywhere it needs to go.

The last time I hauled my Jeep on my open trailer, I used a similar method. I watched when the truck suspension started to sag, and then drove foreword another foot or so. If you look at my wheels in relation to the trailers twin axles/wheels, you can see the front wheel of the Jeep is further forward than the aft wheel of the Jeep is, in relation to the twin axle/wheels. A Jeep has more weight on the front axle than the rear axle. This assures there is adequate weight forward, creating the desired tongue weight on the truck.

I could have driven forward another five feet, and then it would have been too much tongue weight. Like pulling all the way forward against the built-in wheel stops on a U haul trailer.

I’ll post a picture of a little Nissan all the way forward against the built in wheel stops. It is overloading the rear of the half ton truck towing it, this is what you want to avoid.
Attached Thumbnails
1A5FF43A-5D65-4A97-B714-56A5B383B25F.jpg   1EEA9C84-CE4A-470C-889D-0C10DE77A022.jpg  
BagusJeep and MrButterfield like this.

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #3 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
torkman1983
Retired Air Force
1983 CJ7 

That makes sense. You want more weight forward of center to avoid fish tailing but not too much hitch weight. I’ll try out your process. Thanks for your help.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 12:02 PM
MrButterfield

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Axhammer hit the nail on the head. I usually do a 60/40 weight balance over the trailer axle(s) pivot point, 60% of the weight being fore of it, 40% aft. Too much weight on the truck and you reduce weight on the front reducing steering and stopping. Too much weight on the back and you reduce stability.

I'd make sure to stone guard the front of the Jeep. The amount of rocks that kick up over long distance will prove destructive to the front. When I flat tow my Jeep I usually slip a cut piece of 1/4" plywood in between the radiator and grill in the event anything gets through the stoneguard on my RV just to prevent damage to the radiator. I don't notice any wind resistance towing with the windshield up, but weirdly, I do notice more drag when the top is on. I'd also consider wrapping it somehow to prevent rain and highway grime from getting inside.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-05-2021, 03:28 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

That's about the same way I tow my CJ-7 with a trailer too, 60/40. But it's good to know how much your Jeep actually weighs to be more accurate.

It's a 16ft dovetail trailer with built in pull out ramps.

trailering-jeep-1-.jpg

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #6 of 13 Old 05-05-2021, 04:51 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Mr. BF brings up a good point about road grim getting everywhere in the rain and protecting the leading edge of the paint. If you were to tow for hours in the rain, a film of road dirt/grim is going to get everywhere, in every nook and cranny of your freshly restored beauty. I know, it’s a Jeep and it won’t hurt it, but be prepared for it. Maybe a soft cover shrink wrapped in place would be worth considering. I notice new boats going up I95 always have a white wrap installed that encapsulates them for the road trip. Maybe a local boat supplier could put one on for your trip. It would protect the paint from chips and keep the Jeep clean at the same time.

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #7 of 13 Old 05-05-2021, 10:12 PM
yellow85cj

1985 CJ7 

Towed my CJ from Miami to Ft Worth with a Yukon XL. Just pulled the rear driveshaft, pulled it up on the dolly in FWD. Only problem is not being able to back up. Didn't drop the rear any that I could tell.

Currently in pieces - all of them
post #8 of 13 Old 05-06-2021, 09:47 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

IMHO I think it would be much better to purchase a tow bar and take the time and effort to mount the tow bar brackets to the bumper. If in the future you need to tow the Jeep you are good to go. We tow our CJ5 behind the RV. When not in use I store the tow bar in the bed of the truck. If I have a problem and can't get home all I have to do is call my wife to rescue me. That way I don't have to explain what the tow bar looks like or where it is. I don't think she could pick it up and put it into truck because of the weight. I had to call when the clutch linkage exploded a couple of years ago.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #9 of 13 Old 05-06-2021, 12:22 PM
MrPeter63
1983 CJ7 

This is how they do it in Arkansas, Just hook it together n roll with it!! lol
Attached Thumbnails
20201001_181613 (2).jpg  
post #10 of 13 Old 05-06-2021, 05:12 PM
STJP
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

All good suggestions. The trailer and how loaded are important considerations, but the most important aspect of pulling a Jeep on a trailer is what you are pulling it with. I would be leery of pulling the jeep on a trailer at highway speeds with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck with a trailering package. In addition, the trailer must have trailer brakes, preferably on both trailer axles, to be safe.

I have a trailer just like Keith460's and it weighs >2000ibs, as it should since it is well built. Add to that the weight of the Jeep and all the other stuff you have loaded on the trailer or in the truck and it is too much for a 1/2 ton pickup to handle safely. Here in NC, if the weight rating of the tow vehicle's registration is exceeded, we can expect heavy fines if stopped and we will not be allowed to continue. Gets expensive real quick.

If you don't have an adequate tow vehicle and you are not impressed with the POS trailers you can rent, consider shipping the Jeep. You will be surprised at how cost effective it can be. I had a Jeep shipped from Texas to NC and was surprised at how cost effective it was considering any other alternative and what all the towing costs and issues might be.

Good luck,

JS
post #11 of 13 Old 05-07-2021, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
torkman1983
Retired Air Force
1983 CJ7 

Lots of ideas. I am pulling with a Tundra that has nearly 10000 pound towing capacity snd air bags in back. It seems a car dolly might be the way to go in that the majority of the weight is either on the ground or directly over the dolly wheels. I would remove the rear drive shaft. The Jeep already has invisa 3M shield on leading edge of hood and on front facing surface of fenders. I plan on putting a large piece of cardboard on grill/headlights section. The drive is 1800 miles.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-07-2021, 08:54 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Rent a covered trailer and the Jeep stays dry, undamaged from rocks, and out of sight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-07-2021, 10:46 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

My suggestion, since you live in Tx, the land of a thousand trailer manufacturers, buy a 16' flat deck trailer, load Jeep, haul to Id and sell trailer at a profit. A piece of aluminum diamond late and a couple 2x4's and build a nice bulkhead to keep 99% of the road grime/rocks off of the front of the Jeep and go. Buy a good set of tie down straps and make sure you have a good spare and hit the road. Your Tundra should be plenty of truck to tow the CJ-7, just make sure that you have a good brake controller installed. I like the Prodigy P2 from Tekonsha. Going from Tx to Id, you are going to have some good mountain driving, so I would try to find a trailer with brakes on both axles. I would stay away from a dolly or uhaul trailer as you are relying on surge brakes, meaning the tow vehicle has to slow down to make the trailer brakes work, if you go with a real trailer with electric brakes, you have the option to use the trailer brakes without the truck brakes. Very good option to have if you have any trailer sway, you can tap the trailer brakes to get everything to calm down. As for an enclosed trailer, if you are not experienced towing an enclosed or a camper, not being able to see behind you will cause some issues, I would stay with an open deck. As for loading, I have found that the center of the rear axle hub lined up with where the fender welds to the trailer puts you right about where you want to be for weight distribution.

Again, this is just my 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails
524190_10201022900040988_953990988_n.jpg  
STJP likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in