Flasher for LED tail lights - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 43 Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Yes, that is exactly what I did. The company calls their little plastic puck a "Reverse Polarity Base" but essentially I just reversed the feed and the load. If I had one of those little connector tools that is made to release the terminal from the sockets it would have been easier, but a jeweler's screwdriver does the trick and it is much cleaner not to have the adapter installed anyway. The best part is that the old style flashers do not care which way those two wires are connected so you can sill use the old flasher after the mod if needed. The worst part of finding a flasher was determining what I needed. Some people say one will work and another person says the same model flasher would not work with LEDs. The local chain parts shops acted like they had never heard of anyone needing such a thing. It is not like LED tail lights are some type of new upgrade or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
OK I see, You swapped the terminals in the socket so that the power goes to the correct pin and grounded a wire from the flasher? Or something else. The extra socket allows you to swap the terminals without removing any of the original wiring. Clever.

OK that makes sense. I wouldn't actually call it polarity reversing but I see their point.

Pictures please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 Old 12-06-2018, 01:08 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

I know this is an old thread. I just wanted to say thank you to those involved. You saved me time in my future CJ LED endeavors and it is much appreciated.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 43 Old 12-06-2018, 08:01 AM
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

I know what I'm about to say may not make sense to some folks but here goes anyway...

I changed all of my lights on my 85 CJ 7 to LED's this past summer. I used Quadratec LED tail lights and installed LED bulbs in the remaining external sockets. The electronic flasher that came with the Quadratec tail lights kit would not flash with all bulbs installed no matter what I did. I noticed that it was rated for 20 amps. I finally found an electronic flasher that was rated for 25 amps, installed it and lo and behold, now all bulbs and flashing speeds work perfectly.

I understand basic electricity fairly well. But I don't understand how increasing the amperage rating of the electronic flasher could solve my problem. But it did! So, once again, it appears that magic and voodoo won out.

In my advanced age, I have learned not to argue with what works. It may or may not work for your situation, but now all my LED lights work perfectly with an electronic flasher rated for 25 amps.

258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system

post #19 of 43 Old 12-06-2018, 09:48 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustySprings View Post
I know what I'm about to say may not make sense to some folks but here goes anyway...

I changed all of my lights on my 85 CJ 7 to LED's this past summer. I used Quadratec LED tail lights and installed LED bulbs in the remaining external sockets. The electronic flasher that came with the Quadratec tail lights kit would not flash with all bulbs installed no matter what I did. I noticed that it was rated for 20 amps. I finally found an electronic flasher that was rated for 25 amps, installed it and lo and behold, now all bulbs and flashing speeds work perfectly.

I understand basic electricity fairly well. But I don't understand how increasing the amperage rating of the electronic flasher could solve my problem. But it did! So, once again, it appears that magic and voodoo won out.

In my advanced age, I have learned not to argue with what works. It may or may not work for your situation, but now all my LED lights work perfectly with an electronic flasher rated for 25 amps.
Care to supply the brand name of the electronic 25 amp flasher you used that functioned correctly? Otherwise your post is kinda just for your pleasure. I'd say you simply got lucky and found a high amp rated electronic flasher that some smart electronics engineer designed to operate off very low amp flow. That way it can handle just a few, to all the LED's a fully decked out 18 wheeler uses.

Doesn't surprise me at all to hear Quadratec supplied you with one that wasn't correct for the application. Lot's of ignorance out there in the world. I'll add that the electronic flasher that is talked about above by Stonetower and John Strenk is also rated at 25 amps. You probably ended up with the same exact flasher, which is designed for LED applications and that is why it worked.
John Strenk likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 43 Old 12-06-2018, 10:26 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Tipped is correct, just because a newer style flasher is rated to pass a higher current flow doesn't mean the magic smoke inside can't detect the lower current to activate it.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #21 of 43 Old 12-07-2018, 08:50 AM
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

Tipped and John,

So sorry I confused you. I thought I mentioned that that I didn't understand why it worked, but it did work for me. I thought my statement MIGHT help someone down the line. Apparently my statement only confused at least two fine folks.

The two prong electronic 25 amp flasher I used did not have an external ground wire.

It's awfully cold here in Gunnison County Colorado now so I have no intention of going out in an unheated barn and dig around under the dash to get an exact make and model number of the flasher.

I thought I mentioned that I didn't understand why it worked and two of the 20 amp electronic flashers I tried did not work? There are simply way too many variables involved.

The fact that the flasher that Quadratec included in their kit didn't work doesn't surprise me very much. When working on a 33 year old vehicle, unusual things can happen. My philosophy is and has always been to try to find a way to make something work properly instead of complaining and whining why it didn't work.

Again, sorry that I confused or otherwise mislead anyone,

Crusty

2-Prong Electronic Relays LED Compatible Turn Signal Flasher Relay EF32RL Round 25 Amp

(but, the bottom line is that my LED's function properly)

258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system
post #22 of 43 Old 12-07-2018, 08:53 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustySprings View Post

(but, the bottom line is that my LED's function properly)
And that is all that is important....

post #23 of 43 Old 12-07-2018, 09:20 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

No confusion here on my end. Took a look at the part # flasher crusty supplied. It came out of the same factory as all the rest, just marketed as CEC brand.

So it doesn't get lost in the background noise, the most important thing to take away from this thread is be aware of the polarity issue and purchase a flasher that says LED compatible.

post #24 of 43 Old 11-15-2019, 12:38 PM
rmhuffster
1985 CJ7 

Dumb ?... I am converting my stock 85 CJ7 to an Off Road machine with Spyder fenders, rockers and roll cage. The rear fenders have me switching to LEDs. It seems like I need to also swap my stock headlamps to LEDs - yes?
post #25 of 43 Old 11-15-2019, 08:32 PM
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhuffster View Post
It seems like I need to also swap my stock headlamps to LEDs - yes?
Not sure how you came to that conclusion, but no, you don't. The headlights have nothing to do with any of the modifications you mentioned.

For that matter you don't have to convert the rears to LED either. There are incandescent tail lights that are the same 4" round housing/type as the LEDs I'm assuming your corners require.
post #26 of 43 Old 11-16-2019, 06:45 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

My hobby is going to junkyards (pick your own part type). When I see an older vehicle that uses the plug in flashers like our CJs do, I take a quick glance at the fuse box. Most often all the fuses are gone, and the original flashers are in place. But occasionally, you will find a replacement type electronic flasher compatible with LEDs. Over the years I've built a small collection of several different brands. I've sat next to my CJ (with rear LED taillight, and front LED marker lights, but original grill mounted turn signals and original type bulbs) and made side by side comparisons. They all work, but some flash at a slightly different rate and/or sound a little different.

If I can remember, I will post some pics of what I have later.

Just an idea for those that have the opportunity to browse the local pull your own part type of junkyard.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Ox air, Rr D44 OX cable, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks
post #27 of 43 Old 01-08-2020, 06:32 PM
PappaSmurf81
1997 ZJ 

Sorry to dig up and older thread, but does anyone know what flasher for a 1997 ZJ (grand Cherokee)? I put in less in my parking lights and also my side markers (little light inside turn signal housing), and I also switched my turn signals into switchback leds. Well I went to try em out and yep hyperflash. So i went to local parts store and bought the novita ep27 led flasher and it calmed the hyperflash but I have this CONSTANT turn signal "ticking" going on. I then put resistors on the lights with the old flasher and still got hyperflash, so I just installed the new one and left it alone. I've then switched to led rears and came up with the rear lamp failure. I'm thinking about installing resistors on the rear also but that's 3 resistors per side... a lot of heat build up. Anyone got any ideas on what flasher might eliminate the ticking or any other advice???
TIA
-Smurf-
post #28 of 43 Old 01-09-2020, 07:01 PM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I would be VERY interested to know what LED bulbs are being used for the front side marker lights that work "perfectly". I'ts my understanding that the polarity changes when driving/parking lights are turned on (thus causing most polarity sensitive LEDs to not light/blink properly). I've seen some auto switching LEDs for larger bulb fixtures, but nothing for the small (158) side marker bulbs.

It's not the Voltage, but the Amperage that will kill you.
post #29 of 43 Old 01-10-2020, 01:26 AM
PappaSmurf81
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8 View Post
I would be VERY interested to know what LED bulbs are being used for the front side marker lights that work "perfectly". I'ts my understanding that the polarity changes when driving/parking lights are turned on (thus causing most polarity sensitive LEDs to not light/blink properly). I've seen some auto switching LEDs for larger bulb fixtures, but nothing for the small (158) side marker bulbs.
I used t10 led bulbs which is the led equivalent of a 194 bulb for the parking and corner lights (on MY 97 zj). I then switched out the 7344 bulbs for 3157 switchback leds for the running light and the turn signal
post #30 of 43 Old 01-10-2020, 05:39 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I don't know if the ZJ fender lights flash like they do on a CJ.

You would need a Non-Polarity sensitive LED bulb.

Superbright has a selection of Non-Polarity sensitive bulbs that might work.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...921194,1,3995:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/206/

As you can see by the base it would have to operate no matter what direction you plug the LED into the socket.

I'm almost tempted to buy some and try it out.
Spieg8 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in