Firing Order concerns - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

To answer the BS Kid's last question--what you may be hearing is your starter solenoid clicking from either a weak battery or a seized engine. Did you remove the spark plugs, lubricate the cylinders, and rotate the engine by hand?

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshifterkid View Post
Bought a repair manual and figured out the firing order. When I turn on ignition there is a clicking grating sound from what looks like the fuel pump. Any ideas?

Electric pump or mechanical motor mounted pump? If electric, the pump could be seized up or just hammering away trying to pull prime. the engine mounted fuel pump is on the opposite wide from the starter so unlikely that you are hearing a bad solenoid making noise.

OP, you should have enough posts now to start uploading pictures of what you are working on, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, more when we are trying to visualize what you are describing.
trailhead2004 likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #33 of 38 Old 09-11-2019, 08:10 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
But what if it is a "right hand drive" vehicle? I have always referenced the left and right as I was standing in front of the engine since I can't work on the engine sitting in the seat. And cylinder numbering is another confusion (Fords).

I too reference the engine from standing in front of it. As for engine cylinder numbering, yeah it would be good if the oem's could make up their mind for that, 1/2 the oem's number by the bank starting with the forward cylinder (ford) while others (gm mopar) number from the bottom by the order of the connecting rods on the crank. then you get into ford small blocks where the firing order is determined by the camshaft that is installed.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

post #34 of 38 Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 AM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
But what if it is a "right hand drive" vehicle? I have always referenced the left and right as I was standing in front of the engine since I can't work on the engine sitting in the seat. And cylinder numbering is another confusion (Fords).
Doesn't matter as long as everyone knows it's right hand drive. Just that the left is now passenger and the right is now driver's side.
pedal2themetai likes this.
post #35 of 38 Old 09-11-2019, 05:26 PM
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

I used to have a Ford F-250 with the Triton V-8. It kept throwing a code telling me bad fuel injector on cylinder #3. So I replaced the second one back on the drivers side (LHD vehicle). Code was still there, then I discovered on Fords it is the third one back on the passenger side.
Now I will sit back and wait for OP's pictures.

I would rather have a tool I don't need, than need a tool I don't have.
post #36 of 38 Old 09-11-2019, 07:08 PM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Itís right hand drive for the obvious reason. You are sitting on the right hand side of the vehicle when facing forward. While that is true, it doesnít change that fact that the right side of the engine hasnít now moved to the left hand side.

How is Ford confusing? On a 302/351W cylinder #1 is on the right side up front followed by cylinders 2, 3 and 4 as you move back to the firewall. Move to the front left for cylinder 5 which would then be followed by 6, 7 & 8.

MikeyDeezy, Huh?
post #37 of 38 Old 09-11-2019, 08:56 PM
MikeyDeezy

1980 CJ7 

Garage
MikeyDeezy, Huh?[/QUOTE]

Well to answer...most times that I am reading anything off this Jeep Forum, I have shut my brain off, but my mouth (no, I do not type with my tongue) does not shut off along parallel. I do aim to find intellect, but conversely say absurd things to see who shoots the (birds) in the details. Donít be distracted by misdirection if you know what I mean...Yeah, It Does Depend (did anyone learn a lesson?) on how it is Per-viewed? From Underneath...Your Cue to Laugh...Now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeyDeezy Sez...Take Ďer E-Z and Keep it Breezy!
post #38 of 38 Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshifterkid View Post
Bought a repair manual and figured out the firing order. When I turn on ignition there is a clicking grating sound from what looks like the fuel pump. Any ideas?
You need to identify the component. Either that or post a picture for identification.

The V6 came stock with a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the timing chain cover.

The V6 used a GM solenoid integrated on the starter.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in