Firing Order concerns - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 38 Old 09-08-2019, 06:54 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
Except for the fact that the left side of cars and trucks is always viewed as being in the driver’s seat or at the rear of the vehicle facing the front.
HI, Yes when talking about .he car its self its from the driver seat. BUT I believe When talking about the motor you talk as if standing in front of the motor not from the driver seat..
IE: When you talk about the water pump turning CW it is from the Front of the motor not driver seat.
Good luck
tim

EDIT.... It would be hard to talk about things on the motor from the view of the driver seat .. because when looking at the motor you HAVE to look at it from the front of the car so Left side is passenger side and right is driver side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 Old 09-08-2019, 10:19 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

The excepted norm for mechanics is the engine left and right is viewed from the drivers seat.

Firing order for the 225 is 165432. You MUST use the cap tower labeled 1 for the #1 plug wire. If you plunk your distributor in and simply pick one (as you can do with just about any other engine) the odd spacing in the firing order will drive you nuts trying to find out why half your cylinders are dead.
Attached Images

OrangeCJ-5 likes this.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #18 of 38 Old 09-08-2019, 11:42 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HHmm I was taught in the 60 that looking at the motor is your left and right not from the drivers seat. but ?? after looking over the net I do see a lot of them marked the other way but they are over head cams and the flat head's and some Honda's. But in this picture (tho its of a Mazda V6) is not what I was taught.
good luck'
tim
i do remember it being difficult to remember it so I may still be wrong??
Attached Images

post #19 of 38 Old 09-09-2019, 05:20 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal2themetai View Post
HHmm I was taught in the 60 that looking at the motor is your left and right not from the drivers seat. but ?? after looking over the net I do see a lot of them marked the other way but they are over head cams and the flat head's and some Honda's. But in this picture (tho its of a Mazda V6) is not what I was taught.
good luck'
tim
i do remember it being difficult to remember it so I may still be wrong??
Saying driver's side and passenger's side removes all doubt what you're saying. As far as what rotation, in general I think you're right about looking at the front of the motor. That's the way it's generally done for electric motors also. There are always exceptions to the rules, but use driver/passenger and eliminate confusion.
pedal2themetai likes this.
post #20 of 38 Old 09-09-2019, 08:33 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

oh sorry to have hyjackeing your post.
Here's a digram of the 225
Attached Images

post #21 of 38 Old 09-10-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Bullshifterkid

No need for apologies, this discussion has been quite informative, and will be useful going forward when asking questions. Than you for the pictures, I can’t wait to be able to open them once newguy to forum restrictions are lifted!
post #22 of 38 Old 09-10-2019, 10:16 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead2004 View Post
Saying driver's side and passenger's side removes all doubt what you're saying. As far as what rotation, in general I think you're right about looking at the front of the motor. That's the way it's generally done for electric motors also. There are always exceptions to the rules, but use driver/passenger and eliminate confusion.
I wonder how they do this in England??
Port and Starboard?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 38 Old 09-10-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Bullshifterkid

So went to hook in cables from distributor, 1-1 2-6 fit fine but 3-5 won’t reach, now this was running before it was mothballed, any other possible configurations?
post #24 of 38 Old 09-10-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Bullshifterkid

Bought a repair manual and figured out the firing order. When I turn on ignition there is a clicking grating sound from what looks like the fuel pump. Any ideas?
post #25 of 38 Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 PM
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead2004 View Post
But what if it is a "right hand drive" vehicle? I have always referenced the left and right as I was standing in front of the engine since I can't work on the engine sitting in the seat. And cylinder numbering is another confusion (Fords).

I would rather have a tool I don't need, than need a tool I don't have.
post #26 of 38 Old 09-10-2019, 06:23 PM
ShadowsPapa
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
Except for the fact that the left side of cars and trucks is always viewed as being in the driver’s seat or at the rear of the vehicle facing the front.

And if the person is in AUSTRALIA and the DRIVER is on the RIGHT side? Then what LOL
In the forum I admin we've had people insist on using passenger and driver seat but we have a huge following down under so we have to keep reminding folks - keep in mind, it's beyond our own back yard.

Left is always left from the driver seat - that way no matter what country you are in, even Oz, it works.
Firing order I6 such as 258 or 4.0 1-5-3-6-2-4
V8 such as AMC engines 360 and so on - 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Odd on the left (as sitting in the seat), even on the right.
1 is the front left, 2 is the front right, 3 is the second one back on the left and so on.
All AMC V8s are the same firing order, all AMC I6s are the same firing order.

But maybe I'm late to this and all of the firing order stuff has been answered in this hours or even days ago.

A former AMC mechanic from the old days.........
post #27 of 38 Old 09-10-2019, 06:30 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
But what if it is a "right hand drive" vehicle? I have always referenced the left and right as I was standing in front of the engine since I can't work on the engine sitting in the seat. And cylinder numbering is another confusion (Fords).
I think we drive left hand in the good ol US. Is this a right hand thread?
post #28 of 38 Old 09-10-2019, 08:58 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsPapa View Post
And if the person is in AUSTRALIA and the DRIVER is on the RIGHT side? Then what LOL
In the forum I admin we've had people insist on using passenger and driver seat but we have a huge following down under so we have to keep reminding folks - keep in mind, it's beyond our own back yard.

Left is always left from the driver seat - that way no matter what country you are in, even Oz, it works.
Firing order I6 such as 258 or 4.0 1-5-3-6-2-4
V8 such as AMC engines 360 and so on - 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Odd on the left (as sitting in the seat), even on the right.
1 is the front left, 2 is the front right, 3 is the second one back on the left and so on.
All AMC V8s are the same firing order, all AMC I6s are the same firing order.

But maybe I'm late to this and all of the firing order stuff has been answered in this hours or even days ago.

A former AMC mechanic from the old days.........

A couple of quick clarifiers.....
#1 isn't always on the left.
There are at least 4 different V8 firing orders
We are talking about a Buick oddfire V6 so the firing order isn't AMC

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #29 of 38 Old 09-11-2019, 12:06 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

As a proud RHD owner we use nearside and offside to avoid confusion. Near to curb that is as in, " i was driving down to the billabong when I got hit on the nearside front". For RHD that is at the pointy end near the passenger.

It also overcomes a difficult situation if you are lying under the Jeep at the time, feet first being one of the more challenging situations.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #30 of 38 Old 09-11-2019, 06:40 AM
MikeyDeezy

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Are we talking about...from above the engine bay or from below? Nobody asked that yet!

MikeyDeezy Sez...Take ‘er E-Z and Keep it Breezy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in