fiberglass pitfalls - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-17-2021, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
fibersport

fiberglass pitfalls

I may have a line on a cheap used 1979ish fiberglass tub. I have a 1984 with a very solid frame but a tub that is starting to rust out. My Jeep is nothing special and is far from original so it's not like I would be destroying a true collector. What are the pitfalls to going to fiberglass besides electrical? I'm obviously not looking for a show queen, just something that will survive through the NW Indiana winters. I'm guessing I could get it for the same cost of new floors, bottom structure and rockers but without having to do all the labor so lets rule out cost. Are there any problems using a 79 tub in place of an 84 that might make this a mistake? I'm new to Jeeps but not new to building cars.

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed
researching other details!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2021, 10:21 AM
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a 77 cj5 with a glass tub installed by the PO minutes before I bought in 1994.
Other than faded paint, it looks exactly the same as when I got it.
When I wheel, it’s usually quite harsh and the tub ( and fenders and hood) have held up well.
An added bonus is the weight loss, less to get unstuck and more fun on the road.

1977 CJ5 is a CJ build ever really done?
2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2021, 11:19 AM
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

I've had a fiberglass body on mine for nearly 30 years. I have absolutely no regrets. As you already know the only real issue is running separate grounds but if you replace your harness with one like painless wiring it will already have the grounds for everything built in. Make sure you seal every bolt that goes in the body and I highly suggest you use stainless hardware

It used to be, God bless America, it has become God help America

post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2021, 06:05 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Iíve used mine for plowing snow for a couple of decades now. The tub still looks fantastic.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #5 of 6 Old 06-18-2021, 08:12 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
I put on my body in about 1991,

It's lighter (Better MPGs), It's quieter (no metal sounds), EZ to make repairs/ mods, Since 1991 I have never discovered any rust on the body at all!

Had to ground everything, used "Buss Bars" to consolidate "Grounds", "Accessories", live 12 Volts stuff. Doing this allowed me to "fill up a buss" then run one wire from each to my ignition switch, Not filling up the limited space on the switch.

Here's a variety of pics from the cornfield rescue to seeing the bare yellow new glass body, to more recent updates, pics in parades, plain ole enjoyment driving

There's 2 pages of these pics of Willy (if my link works)

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/memb.../albums/willy/

----JEEPFELLER
post #6 of 6 Old 06-18-2021, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
fibersport

Thanks to all the replies, have not heard from the seller so maybe this won't pan out.

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed
researching other details!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in