fiberglass body brand - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-17-2021, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
fibersport

fiberglass body brand

I just picked up a fiberglass body and fenders for my CJ7. According to the seller, it was made by Four Wheel Parts (or maybe Four Wheel Hardware) when they still made them. It has been in inside storage for about 10 years so it really is brand new. Is there some way of verifying that it was made by Four Wheel Parts? I have not take too much time to crawl over and under yet and won't be able to until Sunday. Was hoping some others would have the same brand of body and could chime in. Thanks

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed
researching other details!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-17-2021, 09:01 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Maybe 4WD Parts/ Hardware just stocked them and they were made by another company such as "Shell Valley".

This is a Shell Valley video, maybe somewhere in it you can find a marking of some sort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=RbJrG2U2CqQ

Other than that, it's a really "sped up" "How to video" that is really a good reference

I got my glass body from "TJ Vanderbosch" for my '46 CJ2A---No videos or marking on it.

See post 14 in here https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/f...od-bad-873983/

There were other glass companies, I can't recall any names.

You will love the glass body!

Keep us posted on how it's working out.

-----JEEPFELLER
post #3 of 12 Old 09-18-2021, 04:43 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

On my Four Wheel Hardware fiberglass body they had the name on the inside of the firewall under a layer of clear fiberglass resin. I'd take a picture but mine has been covered up with a coating.
Yes, Four Wheel Hardware made their own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 12 Old 09-18-2021, 01:41 PM
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

Exactly what John said. I've had mine since 1990

It used to be, God bless America, it has become God help America
post #5 of 12 Old 09-18-2021, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
fibersport

I would like to find out who made it in case there are some special things to do or watch for. So far the only thing I have found is a serial number tag on the drivers side cowl. In any area that has bolts, such as hinges for the hood and doors, there is some kind of black material coated with resin. It doesn't appear to be metal, rather it looks like maybe a cloth or something like cloth. I thought I read that one of the bodies had some type of material added in high stress areas, although I don't recall what brand that was.

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed
post #6 of 12 Old 09-18-2021, 10:37 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The later one had better reinforcement. I actually used the original steel plate I removed from the firewall.

post #7 of 12 Old 09-19-2021, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
fibersport

Has anyone actually cut their body seams in? The fiberglass body looks a little "sterile" without the joints between the panels. I actually found a you tube video where a guy installed a tailgate. Mine does not have one but it really looks plain without the JEEP back there, even if the outer skin would be grafted into the glass without actually cutting the opening. Just starting to gather ideas ....

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed
post #8 of 12 Old 09-19-2021, 08:18 PM
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

If you start cutting in seam lines you will weaken the body. The fiberglass is only about 1/8-3/16" thick in most places. Mine does not have a tailgate either, I've learned to live with it plus it makes the body a lot less prone to cracking back there.

It used to be, God bless America, it has become God help America
post #9 of 12 Old 09-20-2021, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
fibersport

I realize that, I just thought someone might have cut them in and reinforced the back with a few layers of glass cloth or maybe metal that would tie in to some other area that needs stiffening. I guess if there's a will there's a way.

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed
post #10 of 12 Old 09-21-2021, 04:22 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

With a little skill you can paint them in.

A little white for highlites and a little darker shade for color and whala!! prefect seem.

post #11 of 12 Old 09-21-2021, 05:17 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibersport View Post
Has anyone actually cut their body seams in? The fiberglass body looks a little "sterile" without the joints between the panels. I actually found a you tube video where a guy installed a tailgate. Mine does not have one but it really looks plain without the JEEP back there, even if the outer skin would be grafted into the glass without actually cutting the opening. Just starting to gather ideas ....

OMG, that brings back some memories on an old friends Shell Valley CJ-7 tub we did back in the 1990's. We used a small Milwaukee circular saw with a masonry blade and cut shallow straight lines in the tub, about a 1/6" depth, using a straight edge as a guide, clamped to the tub at various points. Some of the top edge cuts around the back part of the tub we used a Dremel tool on those since they were at an angle.
His Dad, who remodeled kitchens for a living, used his small router to cut and remove fiberglass material around the outside part of the cowl where it meets the windshield frame. This matched later CJ's recessed cutout on the cowl panel. Pic below is what I'm referring to.

cowl-panel-2-.jpg

I was totally against him doing this but he had previous experience with fiberglass working on corvette bodies so he did what he wanted to do. All I wanted to do was help him put the new fiberglass body on the CJ frame for the weekend. He really did a nice job and from 10ft away, you would never know it was a fiberglass tub except for the missing embossed "Jeep" script on the side. I think he eventually put on a Jeep emblems from another AMC model vehicle that was chrome to mimic the Jeep script.

Whether he had cracking problems from the cuts he did, I don't know. He kept the CJ-7 for another 3 or 4 years after that and then sold it. I'd ask him but unfortunately he passed away some years ago from throat cancer.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #12 of 12 Old 09-21-2021, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
fibersport

That's exactly what I was looking for, at least I'm not the only one with OCD! I'm one of those that realize that everything is possible, you just have to accept the issues that might arise. I'm also restoring a 1984 Century Coronado boat which is fiberglass so I'm going to be getting a lot of glassing experience, I'm sure it will carry over to my other project!

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in