F134 starter system - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BagusJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-16-2020, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Glacier64

F134 starter system

1957 Willys CJ5 -

I changed the original 6 volt system over to 12 volt EXCEPT the PS311 starter. I thought I would use the 6 volt starter until it died. Turning the key - I'm just getting a "click" - checked and cleaned all of the connections - still getting a "click" when trying to start.

My question: Do I change out the external solenoid to a 12 volt and then get a 12 volt starter to make the upgrade complete? thanks for any comments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-16-2020, 01:16 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

I have been running my 56 on 12v with a 6 volt starter for many years, so it should function on 12v if it was on 6 volt before. Can you explain your wiring setup. Are you using a fender mounted solenoid or one mounted to the starter?

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 8 Old 10-16-2020, 02:53 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Will the engine turn from the front with a wrench or hand crank (clockwise from the front)?

Sometimes mine would hang on the flywheel and had to be forced past the "Jam" (Kick the handcrank! or pull the starter) Pic is my daughter at 10 years old in 1997

See me in here https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/c...arter-4406767/

Return with news.

----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
img037.jpg  

post #4 of 8 Old 10-16-2020, 08:33 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
Will the engine turn from the front with a wrench or hand crank (clockwise from the front)?

Sometimes mine would hang on the flywheel and had to be forced past the "Jam" (Kick the handcrank! or pull the starter) Pic is my daughter at 10 years old in 1997

See me in here https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/c...arter-4406767/

Return with news.

----JEEPFELLER
You can also rock the engine in gear. This can also release a stuck Bendix drive.
On a side note, live the pict of the hand crank. I had a 67 Nissan Patrol many years ago. Lost the solenoid and wound up starting it with a crank. Got the BEST stares. I ran that configuration till Sept hit in Alaska and I couldn't crank it by hand anymore.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #5 of 8 Old 10-17-2020, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Glacier64

Thanks very much for your reply. The solenoid is external from the starter. I replaced the old solenoid with a new 12 volt one. Now I don't get a "click" sound - but a horrible screech - wrong solenoid?
post #6 of 8 Old 10-17-2020, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Glacier64

Thanks for your reply. I have a fender mounted solenoid. I replaced the old one with a 12 volt one. Now I don't get a "click" but a horrible screeching sound - wrong solenoid?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-17-2020, 08:56 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
My ex-wife used to make that sound too, when ever I bought a new Jeep part.

Let's make sure the engine will rotate, at minimum one full turn, (CW from the front---KEY OFF---OUT OF GEAR) Use a wrench/ ratchet crank to turn the crankshaft nut.

If you really think it is the solenoid, remove the cable from the starter (eliminating the starter) and attempt a start-----Does it squeal?

Results? We are not info exhausted yet.

When mine is warmed up---it usually takes about 1/2 a turn of the crank to fire him up. My daughter always wanted to use the crank when there was an audience around. That was back then, Now at 33 years old, if we are out riding around, she'll still hand crank him. She pretty much knows a lot about him, she will inherit him, that's her birthdate on the hood.

-----JEEPFELLER
post #8 of 8 Old 10-18-2020, 02:24 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

A click indicates a working solenoid but not a working starter.

A screech indicates a working starter motor but not a working starter. You could have a problem at the drive end.

They are very simple to take off and disassemble. Literally 10 minutes work. I would take it off and visually inspect the starter and then take out the brushes for a look at theirs state. Jammed starter brushes are common, a little WD40 and gentle persistence and they can often be worked loose. A clean up and a little grease and then once you ut it back together (can be fiddly getting the brushes on) and you can use some jump leads to check operation.
pedal2themetai likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in