Exhaust Smell Even After Reroute - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-30-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
SteveOCJ5
1981 CJ5 

Exhaust Smell Even After Reroute

Hey guys. When I got my Jeep it had straight out the back pipes and the exhaust smell was awful. So recently I took it in and had it rerouted (with a fresh set of 40 series Flowmasters) to the back corners (as I've previously read to do) see pic below. However, all though not as bad as it was, I'm still getting exhaust smell in the cab (top off, top on, bikini, all of it)... I really don't want to put cats back on but will if needed... I just want to be able to drive around without smelling fumes...

Any ideas?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-30-2018, 05:26 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Are you 100% positive there isn't a leak somewhere?

Does the exhaust smell normal, sweet, or have a hint of raw fuel to it?

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 Old 07-30-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
SteveOCJ5
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Are you 100% positive there isn't a leak somewhere?

Does the exhaust smell normal, sweet, or have a hint of raw fuel to it?

Matt
Hey Matt. I'm pretty certain there are no leaks. Smells like normal exhaust but much more pungent. It's been awhile since I've owned a vehicle without a cat so seems pretty strong to me...

post #4 of 26 Old 07-30-2018, 05:37 PM
TIPPEDITOVER
Garage Racer

1978 CJ5 

A SBC in good tune will smell stinkier than you think it would without cats. Dealt with it for years. I put cats in my pipes for the LS swap

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
post #5 of 26 Old 07-30-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
SteveOCJ5
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
A SBC in good tune will smell stinkier than you think it would without cats. Dealt with it for years. I put cats in my pipes for the LS swap
Ugh. I can't take a short drive without getting out and smelling like exhaust fumes...

post #6 of 26 Old 07-30-2018, 05:41 PM
TIPPEDITOVER
Garage Racer

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOCJ5 View Post
Ugh. I can't take a short drive without getting out and smelling like exhaust fumes...

Mine was so bad I'd have a ruthless headache at the end of a day of trail riding. All my buddies always put me in the back, they couldn't take it either haha.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
post #7 of 26 Old 07-30-2018, 05:45 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Your exhaust is routed correctly out the corner to prevent the fumes from rolling into the cab from the backdraft. You shouldn't be smelling it while driving. If you are, I'd suspect a leak.

Is your engine tuned well? Burning any oil? Coolant staying at a consistent level?

A CAT will reduce sulfur smells (think rotten eggs), but that doesn't sound like what you're smelling.

Matt

post #8 of 26 Old 07-30-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
SteveOCJ5
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Your exhaust is routed correctly out the corner to prevent the fumes from rolling into the cab from the backdraft. You shouldn't be smelling it while driving. If you are, I'd suspect a leak.

Is your engine tuned well? Burning any oil? Coolant staying at a consistent level?

A CAT will reduce sulfur smells (think rotten eggs), but that doesn't sound like what you're smelling.

Matt
I'll climb under it tomorrow and see if I can find any leaks... It better not, I just had the entire exhaust done a month ago..

post #9 of 26 Old 07-30-2018, 11:09 PM
jzjames
1980 CJ5 

From your picture of your tailpipes it looks like the ends could be shortened a couple inches. That would put the exhaust coming out directly behind the tire tread....what do ya think?
Could your longer pipes be causing the fumes to somehow swirl back into the cab?
My single pipe exits at the corner, but not as far out as yours, and it solved the fumes problem.

Throwing this out there, good luck
SteveOCJ5 likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old 07-31-2018, 06:03 AM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

I find this interesting given that your engine tune as been brought up on your water temp thread. Possible correlation?

I'd set the timing to 12*, switch to manifold vacuum and check the mixture screws for lean-best idle and see if that helps with the stink. PCV in good shape?

Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
post #11 of 26 Old 07-31-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
SteveOCJ5
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
I find this interesting given that your engine tune as been brought up on your water temp thread. Possible correlation?

I'd set the timing to 12*, switch to manifold vacuum and check the mixture screws for lean-best idle and see if that helps with the stink. PCV in good shape?

Shawn
I will be going to have my timing checked and adjusted today.. will report back.

post #12 of 26 Old 07-31-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
SteveOCJ5
1981 CJ5 

The timing was a little bit high. We adjusted it back down to 12*. Hopefully that will make a difference.

post #13 of 26 Old 07-31-2018, 03:53 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Is your vac advance connected to manifold or ported vacuum?

Have you tuned your carb for lean/best idle, now that the timing was changed?

Matt

post #14 of 26 Old 07-31-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
SteveOCJ5
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Is your vac advance connected to manifold or ported vacuum?

Have you tuned your carb for lean/best idle, now that the timing was changed?

Matt
Hi Matt. I'm a little bit if a novice when it comes to vacuum advance so I took a few pics of my carb and manifold. Hopefully you can see what you are asking me or maybe you can tell me what else to look at..

post #15 of 26 Old 07-31-2018, 04:11 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sorry, your pics don't tell me much about the vac advance.

With engine idling, pull the hose that connects to the vac advance. If there is suction on the hose, you are correctly connected to manifold vacuum. If there is no suction, it's connected to ported, and should be changed to manifold.

You do know what the vac advance is and where it's located, correct?

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in