3Likes
  • 1 Post By dmoore_64
  • 2 Post By Fourtrail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-29-2020, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Equus 7361 2" Fuel Level Gauge

Anyone ever install a Equus 7361 in their 76-86 CJ? Specs say it has the same ohms full/empty as the factory gauge (73 ohm empty, 10 ohms full). My oem style replica chicom junk omix-ada fuel level gauge is dead, AGAIN. Confirmed 100% death. Sender good. Wiring good. I want something better than omix-ada junk. I'm also tired of having to contort myself into unnatural shapes to get at the factory fuel level gauge. I would buy a Speed-hut gauge package, but I'm planning a Holley EFI digital dash down the road instead, to match my terminator system. It'll do fuel level too, but I need a solution right now.

I ordered one of those Equus 7361 gauges and I'm hoping it will fit in the hole where the factory voltmeter currently resides. Our factory volt/oil pressure gauges are 2" diameter correct? Google said so, just would like to confirm here, if possible. Worst case, I'll cut a new hole in the dash, but would rather not.

Attached Thumbnails
Equus fuel level gauge.jpg  

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-29-2020, 10:13 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

A quick search says the dash is set up for a 2" gauge

https://www.morris4x4center.com/volt...kaAhwXEALw_wcB

You could always make a little bracket and mount it under the dash temporarily if it did not fit and you did not want to cut the dash. I have a piece of ABS plastic on the front of my dash where a Autometer digital speedometer/tachometer mounts over the large dash hole and four 2-1/16" gauges mount under the dash. I did not want to cut the dash and I am going to make a custom dash...well one of these days. Some of the Autometer fuel gauges are programmable for different sending units. I started with the original Jeep sending unit and then I moved to a VDO reed switch vertical sending unit and just made a calibration change to the fuel gauge and I was good to go.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-29-2020, 10:25 PM
dmoore_64
1974 CJ5 

I used to work at an auto parts store where we sold these equus gauges, and we did a lot of returns on them for failing. Not a very good quality of gauge IMHO. Maybe you will have better luck with them. This was also several years ago, so maybe their quality control has gone up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-30-2020, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Thanks. I don't expect much for $17, but we'll see. Autometer makes one that even says Jeep on it for $65. I bet that one works good, but this is just temporary till I can save up the $700 I need for a Holley digital dash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-30-2020, 11:12 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Speedway has a pair of 2" for 24 bucks that are 73-10 ohm if that one fails.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/...m_range:223782
John Strenk and TIPPEDITOVER like this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #6 of 7 Old 03-30-2020, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Speedway has a pair of 2" for 24 bucks that are 73-10 ohm if that one fails.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/...m_range:223782
Nice. Made by Omega Kustom Instrument Co. in the USA. I like that. Thanks!

post #7 of 7 Old 03-30-2020, 04:05 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
This evokes a Believe it or not, I once worked for Skinnymutt aka Greyhound Bus and on their buses in the 70's and earlier the MCI coaches weren't equipped with a fuel gauge. This made things rather dicey during tour and charter operations.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in