engine upgrade cost - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-18-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Wyldrush
1985 CJ7 

engine upgrade cost

I am wondering estimate cost to have someone upgrade my 85 CJ fron the original 4 cylinder I have.

I know there are many things that need to get redone. What type of engine do ppl recommend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-18-2016, 07:00 PM
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

I upgraded mine a little over a year ago, cost was $1500 labor(flat fee) plus parts, not counting the motor and new tranny parts ran me another $1000 for a total cost of $2500 plus the engine/tranny you want to use. hope this is what you wanted to know
post #3 of 7 Old 05-18-2016, 07:04 PM
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

It depends on what you upgrade to. You can go 258 for no too much, a 4.0 for a little more. Of maybe a SBC or other V8 for more yet. Think about how much you want to spend and tailor you plans to your budget.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-18-2016, 07:31 PM
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

And abilities. They more you can do, the more you can save, or spend on other parts.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-19-2016, 08:05 AM
Jawbox

Not my thread, but the info is appreciated. In my case, my Iron Duke just isn't quite up to the task of hauling around my little boat.

It's fine unladen, but put a 16 foot aluminum boat behind it and I'm struggling to get it up the smallest hills.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-20-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Wyldrush
1985 CJ7 

I am not a mechanic really and I live in a condo so I have no where to even work on a Jeep. I can do basic stuff but I need someone to do the complete job. I was gauging cost. plus finding a mechanic willing to do it all. if I am correct when I upgrade engine I need to upgrade the radiator and water pump as well.

a 4 cylinder just can't handle all the hills where I am now. I find myself doing 30mph climbing these hills and if I am at a light forget it. In Florida ito is all flat.

plus still have vacuum issue even though I had it fixed it still feels funny in 4th gear if I am doing 35mph.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Yeah, cost could be an issue if converting to other than AMC engines. It's not going to be cheap no matter which way because it's a labor intensive job. Not hard, by any means, just takes time. Look around by you, try to get in with a local group. Maybe you'll find the help and room you need that way....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in