Engine Problem - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 Old 07-18-2020, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Alabamacj71981

Engine Problem

I need help. In short when I try to do 2nd gear at a fast speed or higher (e.g., 3rd gear less throttle) my engine wants to sputter and quit (though it never fully dies). What is happening to my wonderful CJ?

I’ve really only made two changes in last week:
(1) started using Shell Rotella diesel oil
(2) changed my valve cover gasket

I thought I might have knocked a spark plug wire loose so I checked that and went ahead and replaced my spark plugs. Still no bueno.

Can anyone help? I’m learning as I go and have rebuilt tranny and TC but the engine... I’m still learning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 07-18-2020, 04:03 PM
HoDad
1981 CJ5 

Make sure the nuts for the wires on your coil are tight. I had a similar problem and that was it.
post #3 of 74 Old 07-18-2020, 05:27 PM
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

When you replaced the valve cover gasket, is the return gas line still oriented ABOVE the standard gas line on the 3way filter? Otherwise you will starve your carb at higher speeds if its level or below the fuel line. This is a really common issue. or maybe you knocked a vac line off? The distro line goes over the valve cover. or placed back in the wrong spot? That would cause that.

Or maybe a fuel line got pinched? that is not likely, but it did happen to me once. or maybe while the fuel line was off, debri or contaminates got into the line, and clogged either the float, or one of the jets. that has happened to me.

Beyond that, it may be unrelated to the valve cover. Maybe your distro is not tight, and has been slowely walking out of time. Thats happened to me too.

I don't know your engine or carb, but those are the common symtoms. CHeck the 3way filter, and vac lines. Then you can check your distro and carb.
thumperjohn151 likes this.

post #4 of 74 Old 07-18-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Alabamacj71981

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDad View Post
Make sure the nuts for the wires on your coil are tight. I had a similar problem and that was it.
Things seem good there. Thanks.
post #5 of 74 Old 07-18-2020, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Alabamacj71981

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
When you replaced the valve cover gasket, is the return gas line still oriented ABOVE the standard gas line on the 3way filter? Otherwise you will starve your carb at higher speeds if its level or below the fuel line. This is a really common issue. or maybe you knocked a vac line off? The distro line goes over the valve cover. or placed back in the wrong spot? That would cause that.

Or maybe a fuel line got pinched? that is not likely, but it did happen to me once. or maybe while the fuel line was off, debri or contaminates got into the line, and clogged either the float, or one of the jets. that has happened to me.

Beyond that, it may be unrelated to the valve cover. Maybe your distro is not tight, and has been slowely walking out of time. Thats happened to me too.

I don't know your engine or carb, but those are the common symtoms. CHeck the 3way filter, and vac lines. Then you can check your distro and carb.
(1) Distributor cap is tight.
(2) vacuum hose from distributor is good
(3) gas filter looks like a crazy mess (see pic)

Still picking over your note.
Attached Thumbnails
6DF28935-E0C9-4A62-916B-FB40FD2C58BF_1595115475265.jpg  
post #6 of 74 Old 07-18-2020, 07:14 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

your pic shows at least what part of the problem could be. you dont have a return line hooked up to the fuel filter. the reason they had a return line was to avoid fuel vapor locking. that is where the fuel gets hot and turns to vapor. with a vapor return the air and what ever fuel the carb doesnt need it goes back to the tank. the way you have it the air has to go into the carb and any bend can cause the fuel flow to stop to the carb. you should have a i believe 3/16 steel line coming from the driver side of the frame that a hose goes from the the return on the fuel filter. if you follow the steel line down the frame it will go to the sending unit on the tank along with a larger feed line.

on your coil does it have a horseshoe looking connector on top of it. that was the ford factory type of connection amc used. i would check and see if the terminals in the horseshoe slide firmly on the coil.

i would try those first.
post #7 of 74 Old 07-18-2020, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Alabamacj71981

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

your pic shows at least what part of the problem could be. you dont have a return line hooked up to the fuel filter. the reason they had a return line was to avoid fuel vapor locking. that is where the fuel gets hot and turns to vapor. with a vapor return the air and what ever fuel the carb doesnt need it goes back to the tank. the way you have it the air has to go into the carb and any bend can cause the fuel flow to stop to the carb. you should have a i believe 3/16 steel line coming from the driver side of the frame that a hose goes from the the return on the fuel filter. if you follow the steel line down the frame it will go to the sending unit on the tank along with a larger feed line.

on your coil does it have a horseshoe looking connector on top of it. that was the ford factory type of connection amc used. i would check and see if the terminals in the horseshoe slide firmly on the coil.

i would try those first.
Thanks for your help. I’ll reroute the fuel line bit and confirm the coil bit.
post #8 of 74 Old 07-18-2020, 09:22 PM
Matt80cj
1980 CJ7 

If I'm looking at your pic of the fuel filter right it appears that the hose that is supposed to go to the carb (lower one) is plugged off with a bolt. The top one is supposed to be the return like mentioned earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 74 Old 07-18-2020, 09:41 PM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt80cj View Post
If I'm looking at your pic of the fuel filter right it appears that the hose that is supposed to go to the carb (lower one) is plugged off with a bolt. The top one is supposed to be the return like mentioned earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks the same to me also.

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #10 of 74 Old 07-18-2020, 10:18 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

The centered nipple of the 2 is the carb feed, offset nipple is the return.

Looks like the return is blocked off to me, and it is on the bottom.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 74 Old 07-19-2020, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Alabamacj71981

Thanks for all the help.

(1) I fixed the return on the fuel filter. Spun the thing right side up and attached the line. See pic.

(2) coil wires are tight, see 2nd pic.

Still having the issue. Should I rebuild my carb next? I see a leak of some sort (see third pic).

Thanks guys. Learning the engine as we go. Having fun with this at the moment. I love learning my Jeep. 🤓
Attached Thumbnails
image_1595167381449.jpg   image_1595167416791.jpg   962E4601-8205-4393-AC45-7E4ACC026961_1595167531312.jpg  
post #12 of 74 Old 07-19-2020, 02:56 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
If it were mine I'd pull the spark plugs and check their color, I have a sneaking suspicion of the Holley carburetor, ie too much carb for the motor.
Matt1981CJ7 likes this.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #13 of 74 Old 07-19-2020, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Alabamacj71981

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
If it were mine I'd pull the spark plugs and check their color, I have a sneaking suspicion of the Holley carburetor, ie too much carb for the motor.
I pulled all the plugs. They were covered in soot. I replaced all. Problem persists. Looks like there were other threads with Holley carb issues.
post #14 of 74 Old 07-19-2020, 06:14 PM
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

I had assumed that it was running lean from either vac leak, or fuel starvation.

But the soot would imply it is running rich? When I last had a holly carb (2bbl #4412), it was always having issues with the power valve blowing, leading to fuel issues. Those are easy and cheap to replace. The power valve issue bother me so much, I stopped using holly carbs, though that was before they started added back-checks.

Is the vent tube unobstructed? You could try running with the air cleaner off to see if that was blocking the vent, causing a vapor lock.
post #15 of 74 Old 07-19-2020, 08:18 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

holley's are a good carb. it looks like you have the 2 barrel but do you know which cfm that you have? the 350 is about the size of a ford 2150 and a weber 38. the 500 cfm is a big for a stock 258. you will need to rebuild it if leaking. if leaking from the block and carb body it can cause running issues.

a holley is very tune-able. after rebuilding there some things that have to get done.
1st you have to set the float height while it is running. you remove the on the side of the bowl. then you loosen the lock nut and adjust the large screw on the top center of the bowl till fuel is just at the bottom of the threads where the plug was.
2nd then you want to set your idle mixture with the two screws one on each side of the meter block about 1/8 turn at a time till you get the best vacuum. remember to rev the engine and clear after each adjustment.
3rd take the vacuum number that you got while setting the idle and divide by 2. that is about the size of the power valve that you want to start with.
4th drive it and pull in the driveway and shut down right away. dont let idle for a while. when cooled down pull and check the plugs. then you will have to adjust the main jets accordingly. if soot then have to go smaller jets. once you get that then back to step 2 and reset your idle mixture.

oh fun times with a carb.

oldschool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in