engine bay wiring help - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-16-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
TexasBlues
1976 CJ5 

engine bay wiring help

Mornin all-

it has been a long time since i worked on my CJ and now I am in need of help...

the starter solenoid has 4 posts, 'Batt', 'S', 'I', 'STR"

i understand that the STR is a single wire to the starter...

the BATT (I assume) is ONLY for the cable from the + battery post

The S and I terminals have me confused...

i have replaced the original distributor with the DUI Street/Strip and also installed a new painful wiring harness...

there are 2 wires (Coil Batt +) and (Coil Batt -) that i have NO idea where they go...

also, while i am at it... there are several wires in the harness that i do not need (A/C Compressor etc) can i use these for other accessories?

i am assuming that if i use the A/C wire (and do not have A/C) that i will need to install a switch for any accessory added to that circuit... is this correct?

I am also at a loss when it comes to the 50A maxi fuse... where it goes, what it does, etc

finally, i have a 1 wire alternator upgrade (with bulltear mount) that i need help with (how/where to wire etc)

i understand that there are several items in this post but thought it best to ask all questions in one place

does anyone know where i can get the other 1/2 of the ignition wiring harness PLUG (ididit column is plug/play IF you have a GM harness... i do not, i am starting from scratch with the painless harness)

thank you in advance for your help

TB

Attached Images

TexasBlues

Last edited by TexasBlues; 07-16-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: added photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-17-2019, 07:13 AM
BushPusher77
1977 CJ7 

Garage
S" is 12 volts from the ignition switch so when you turn the key it will engage the relay to turn the starter motor.
I" is used to give the ignition system a full 12 volts when cracking to help start the engine.
Attached Images

X-Army, pedal2themetai and Rsb201 like this.
post #3 of 26 Old 07-17-2019, 07:36 AM
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Do you have the Painless installation manual? It has information relating to all your questions. Download from here.

1983 CJ7, 258I6, T4, Dana 300, 31x10.5x15 DuraTrac

post #4 of 26 Old 07-17-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
TexasBlues
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the help!

i'll download and print immediately

thank you @DougE !

TexasBlues
post #5 of 26 Old 07-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlues View Post
Mornin all-

it has been a long time since i worked on my CJ and now I am in need of help...

the starter solenoid has 4 posts, 'Batt', 'S', 'I', 'STR"

i understand that the STR is a single wire to the starter...

the BATT (I assume) is ONLY for the cable from the + battery post

The S and I terminals have me confused...
Covered already

Quote:
i have replaced the original distributor with the DUI Street/Strip and also installed a new painful wiring harness...

there are 2 wires (Coil Batt +) and (Coil Batt -) that i have NO idea where they go...

Coil batt+ should work to power the distributor, make sure that if you use this, that you don't install the ballast resistor. coil batt - should be a good ground to the battery, you have the option to attach this to the distributor housing to insure you have a good ground double check this before hooking it up that you do have continuity to ground from this wire

Quote:
also, while i am at it... there are several wires in the harness that i do not need (A/C Compressor etc) can i use these for other accessories?

i am assuming that if i use the A/C wire (and do not have A/C) that i will need to install a switch for any accessory added to that circuit... is this correct?

yes you can use the a/c for another accessory. it is likely a circuit with a relay in it so it should handle a higher draw accessory. the others, make sure the unused circuit is rated for the load you are putting on it

Quote:
I am also at a loss when it comes to the 50A maxi fuse... where it goes, what it does, etc

that fuse goes in the main power wire that goes to the fusebox from the battery/batt side of starter solenoid depending on where you are drawing power from.

Quote:
finally, i have a 1 wire alternator upgrade (with bulltear mount) that i need help with (how/where to wire etc)

i understand that there are several items in this post but thought it best to ask all questions in one place

single wire normally goes to the batt side of the starter solenoid

Quote:
does anyone know where i can get the other 1/2 of the ignition wiring harness PLUG (ididit column is plug/play IF you have a GM harness... i do not, i am starting from scratch with the painless harness)

thank you in advance for your help

TB

this harness should connect your painless kit to the steering column plugs

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Painl...-Kit,2363.html

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #6 of 26 Old 07-18-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
TexasBlues
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Covered already

Coil batt+ should work to power the distributor, make sure that if you use this, that you don't install the ballast resistor. coil batt - should be a good ground to the battery, you have the option to attach this to the distributor housing to insure you have a good ground double check this before hooking it up that you do have continuity to ground from this wire

yes you can use the a/c for another accessory. it is likely a circuit with a relay in it so it should handle a higher draw accessory. the others, make sure the unused circuit is rated for the load you are putting on it

that fuse goes in the main power wire that goes to the fusebox from the battery/batt side of starter solenoid depending on where you are drawing power from.

single wire normally goes to the batt side of the starter solenoid

this harness should connect your painless kit to the steering column plugs

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Painl...-Kit,2363.html
OUTSTANDING!

The 'S' terminal... is that where i hook up things that need juice in the run/start position? (headlamps, tach, etc)?

Thanks @Fourtrail , and thanks also to all others that have responded... with all of everyone's help, it looks i might be making some headway in the next couple weeks!

you guys are the BEST!

TB

TexasBlues
post #7 of 26 Old 07-18-2019, 07:23 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

'S' terminal receives the start signal from the switch at the bottom of the column, nothing else gets hooked to the 'S' terminal. headlamps get constant power from the fuse box. tach get tied into an accessory power source from the fuse box.

post #8 of 26 Old 07-18-2019, 07:31 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Also if you are running a DUI ignition system, you don't need to use the "I" terminal either.

It was there as a bypass for the ballast resistor when starting the jeep.
This was needed for the points and later electronic ignition systems.
The DUI doesn't use a Ballast resistor so the "I" terminal is not needed.

The tach is an interesting problem though.
Do you have the factory tach or an aftermarket tach?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 26 Old 07-18-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
TexasBlues
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Also if you are running a DUI ignition system, you don't need to use the "I" terminal either.

It was there as a bypass for the ballast resistor when starting the jeep.
This was needed for the points and later electronic ignition systems.
The DUI doesn't use a Ballast resistor so the "I" terminal is not needed.

The tach is an interesting problem though.
Do you have the factory tach or an aftermarket tach?

I have an aftermarket tach (AutoMeter) and DUI distributor...

theres a feed on the distributor for the signal that i have a wire for on the tach... i assumed the signal from the DUI would be the power...

so starter goes to STRT (ground cable)

Battery goes to BATT (Positive/Hot cable from the battery itself)

using the painful harness, then the heavy (8 gauge, marked battery power) goes to the BATT terminal on the relay?

i also must apologize for using the incorrect name for the part... apparently this item is a 'Ford style" starter relay, not a solenoid

TexasBlues
post #10 of 26 Old 07-18-2019, 11:40 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
I have an aftermarket tach (AutoMeter) and DUI distributor...

theres a feed on the distributor for the signal that i have a wire for on the tach... i assumed the signal from the DUI would be the power...
No, the 'Tach" terminal on the DUI is just the signal for the tach. Power for the tach would have to come from some other place preferably the fusebox.
Quote:
so starter goes to STRT (ground cable)
Actually it's power to the starter. The solenoid and the starter motor grounds though their mounting bolts.

Quote:
Battery goes to BATT (Positive/Hot cable from the battery itself)

using the painful harness, then the heavy (8 gauge, marked battery power) goes to the BATT terminal on the relay?
Yes, It's OK to call it a solenoid.

Quote:
i also must apologize for using the incorrect name for the part... apparently this item is a 'Ford style" starter relay, not a solenoid
a solenoid switch, which is a specific type of relay that internally uses an electromechanical solenoid to operate an electrical switch; for example, an automobile starter solenoid.

If you say 'relay', you can confuse us old geezers.
TexasBlues likes this.

post #11 of 26 Old 07-18-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
TexasBlues
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
No, the 'Tach" terminal on the DUI is just the signal for the tach. Power for the tach would have to come from some other place preferably the fusebox.

Actually it's power to the starter. The solenoid and the starter motor grounds though their mounting bolts.

Yes, It's OK to call it a solenoid.

a solenoid switch, which is a specific type of relay that internally uses an electromechanical solenoid to operate an electrical switch; for example, an automobile starter solenoid.

If you say 'relay', you can confuse us old geezers.
OK... this is what I am going to do tonite...

i am going to mock up what i think goes where and post a photo (or 2) here for review

i cannot tell you guys how much i appreciate your help...

too bad you dont live closer... i pay with beer, steaks and a little cash too

standby!

TexasBlues
post #12 of 26 Old 07-18-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
TexasBlues
1976 CJ5 

OK…

Here is what I have…

8ga Red, ‘To Battery Source’

10ga Purple, ‘To Start Solenoid ‘S’ Terminal’

10ga White, ‘To Alternator Regulator Exciter’

10ga Red, ‘To Alternator Output Post’

12ga Pink, ‘To Coil (Bat +)’

14ga Purple/White Stripe, ‘To Coil –‘

My assumptions are these:

‘Battery Source’ goes to either the hot post of the Optima, or to the BATT post on the solenoid (hot is hot)

‘Start Solenoid S’ is self-explanatory

‘Alternator Regulator Exciter’ is not needed because I have converted to a GM one wire alternator (12Si)

‘Alternator Output Post’… I do not know if this is needed with the one wire

‘To Coil (Bat +) goes to the terminal marked ‘BATT’ on the DUI

‘To Coil (-) … I have no Idea about this either

As for the signal to the tach, it is an orange wire that goes to the terminal marked ‘TACH’ on the DUI

As for power to the gauges, I have it wired into the pink and red/white stripe from the harness that goes to the fuse panel, which I assume will be correct…

I have attached the instructions from the tach

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zE...B7wkcCc1c-PNqr

I HAVE tested all of the lights in the gauges and they all work… my oil pressure and water temp are mechanical… I have a volt gauge and electric speedo (that I need to get a pulse maker for)

I am also trying to decide where to put my starter solenoid… I am wary of installing it on the fender well, as I have the flat fenders without skirts… I do not know if road/trail spray will knock it out

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1A7...kk1wAEGnYs3fEs
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XM...02rtzhdszcn9o1

I am considering a firewall mount for the solenoid and have 2 photos with locations that I think will work

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iE...1Z_r5E0hXv8ggU
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iZ...qqv_RqSclHhnZ8

here are some other pix that may be of help

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vb...mr5NOqfurXo4N0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y5...lK3GG3ZO7ayvRi

TexasBlues
post #13 of 26 Old 08-02-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
TexasBlues
1976 CJ5 

mornin all!

have been making slow but steady progress on my re-wiring but have a question...

the ididit column came with an ignition relay pack that is supposed to wire to the heavy RED feed...

i have hooked it up, grounded the relays and everything in the column works as it should...

looking at the connection for the heavy red feed, it proceeds as follows:

ONE heavy red from to the starter solenoid (734 painless) which is branched into TWO

to connect the relay pack to these 2 wires, the instructions show to make a 2 wire pig tail (to connect to the 2 734s), then combine them into ONE feed to go to the relays...

these reds do not go anywhere else...

if i am thinking right, i should be able to eliminate the 2 wire pig tails and make a one-to-one connection...

is this correct?

please see link for illustration

thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10110 JF.pdf (148.9 KB, 12 views)

TexasBlues
post #14 of 26 Old 08-02-2019, 08:10 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Note 1: ididit’s Red wire needs to be connected with both Reds734 #1 (934 #1 new kit) and 734 #2 (934 #2 new kit) from the Painless wiring kit
from https://www.ididitinc.com/files/pdf/...8000020035.pdf

I would go ahead and follow the instructions.

post #15 of 26 Old 08-07-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
TexasBlues
1976 CJ5 

@Fourtrail , I took your advice and followed the instructions and got he pigtail... thank you for setting me straight...

now I have another question...

Specifically about grounding in the engine bay...

Right now I have the following:

a ground from the battery to the frame (2ga wire)

a ground from the frame to the engine block (heavy braided strap)

a ground from the battery to the tub (lighter braided strap)

and I will be running a 12ga from the battery to a ground 'block' under the dash

do I need to have a ground from the engine block to the tub as I have read in SO many places?

once I get these grounds run (you'd think there would be a boatload of places to attach) I can start with the actual wiring... so any help is MOST appreciated!

thanks everyone for your patience!

TB
Fourtrail likes this.

TexasBlues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in