Engine angle question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-27-2008, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
OSUAV8R

Engine angle question

I finally got the transmission back in my jeep, but with the tranny mount resting on the skid plate the engine seems to be slanted down in the back (higher inthe front) How much is to much, I was thinking about shimming up the tranny to make the engine sit more level... I am sure I can do it, but the real question is .... how much rear tilt is to much?

Thanks
Nathan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-27-2008, 07:43 PM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I wouldn't be concerned until I started getting more than say 5-6 degrees slope. As you tilt the rear of the drivetrain down, the front tilts up. That can cause front ujoint bind if you have alot of lift or a flexy front suspension.

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-27-2008, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
OSUAV8R

I am more concerned with oli and coolent hot spots because of the angle

Thanks

Nathan

post #4 of 7 Old 09-27-2008, 08:46 PM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I've put an angle finder on several "stock" setups with 4-5 degrees of drivetrain slope..

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

post #5 of 7 Old 09-27-2008, 09:58 PM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

BESRK is correct.

If you are worried, take the carb off and put a level on the carb manifold flange.
When it's level both directions, the engine is installed at the correct angle, around 2 to 5 degrees downward slope to the tail shaft...

REMEMBER,
'Free' internet information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #6 of 7 Old 09-27-2008, 10:05 PM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

My 5.0L swap is right at 3* rear down, with no skidplate drop.

"In the end...It's all Hack."
post #7 of 7 Old 09-27-2008, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
OSUAV8R

Thanks guys, I have to measure it... but it seems more then 5.. the Matkins frame was 11/16 of an inch narrower on the inside.. so the main mounts are closer together and therefor the engine sits higher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in