Electrical connection questions - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-01-2021, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Derekwh

1985 CJ7 

Electrical connection questions

Nothing is more fun than working on an electrical system after several generations of owners have been cutting and splicing the wiring harnesses. I am installing a Howell EFI in my '85 CJ7 and able to get rid of a lot of the wiring but I don't want to go too far. There are a red wire and a red wire w/ a white stripe coming out of the junction under the master cylinder that go into a sender that is T'd into the oil pressure sender, I have the purple wire attached for the gauge, I figured it might be for a warning light but the wires are spliced, using duct tape, to wires, also red and red w/ a white stripe that go to the top of the transmission. Does anyone have an idea what they are?

Also, there is a flat six contact plug that is wired to the wires mentioned above and a relay that seems to be attached to the manifold heater. I have enclosed a picture. Anybody know what it is?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-01-2021, 08:07 PM
Ollie09
1977 CJ5 

The wire T'd to the oil pressure sender may be for a cutoff switch for an electric fuel pump. The relay too. The 6 way connector looks to be a Delphi "Weatherpack' connector which didn't come out until way after your CJ, so it's not stock.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-01-2021, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Derekwh

1985 CJ7 

Up until now it has only had its original mechanical pump. I wonder what the connector was for?

post #4 of 8 Old 08-02-2021, 04:49 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekwh View Post
Nothing is more fun than working on an electrical system after several generations of owners have been cutting and splicing the wiring harnesses. I am installing a Howell EFI in my '85 CJ7 and able to get rid of a lot of the wiring but I don't want to go too far. There are a red wire and a red wire w/ a white stripe coming out of the junction under the master cylinder that go into a sender that is T'd into the oil pressure sender, I have the purple wire attached for the gauge, I figured it might be for a warning light but the wires are spliced, using duct tape, to wires, also red and red w/ a white stripe that go to the top of the transmission. Does anyone have an idea what they are?
That "T" in sensor is an oil pressure switch to control the operation of the e-choke and manifold heater. They use oil pressure to to insure that it only operates once the engine is running and has oil pressure.
I think they started using this in 1981 when they switched to the aluminum, water heated manifold. The manifold heater keep fuel from collecting on the inside of the manifold when it is could that could cause a lean and then too rich mixture.

If you are installing an EFI system, I would suggest keeping the manifold heater but you don't need the e-Choke.
If you are installing an MPFI system then you can eliminate both circuits.

Quote:
Also, there is a flat six contact plug that is wired to the wires mentioned above and a relay that seems to be attached to the manifold heater. I have enclosed a picture. Anybody know what it is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie09 View Post
The wire T'd to the oil pressure sender may be for a cutoff switch for an electric fuel pump. The relay too. The 6 way connector looks to be a Delphi "Weatherpack' connector which didn't come out until way after your CJ, so it's not stock.
That connector actually is a stock connection from 84 on. Most of it is for the computer but one wire goes to the oil pressure switch that supplies power and echoke.

If you are installing an EFI system, you probably don't need this plug at least.
Attached Thumbnails
EChoke.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #5 of 8 Old 08-02-2021, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Derekwh

1985 CJ7 

Great, thanks for all the info
post #6 of 8 Old 08-03-2021, 02:40 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

In a few years you may also be called out as the PO who cut and spliced wires.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #7 of 8 Old 08-03-2021, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Derekwh

1985 CJ7 

True, but at least the few splices that I did I tried to use the same color wire. And didn't use duct tape.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-03-2021, 10:04 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekwh View Post
True, but at least the few splices that I did I tried to use the same color wire. And didn't use duct tape.
The factory used duct tape because it resists heat better than electrical tape.
Axhammer likes this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in