Electric Fans... again - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-02-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
43Duc

1982 CJ8 

Electric Fans... again

I'm in the process of putting my rebuilt 258 back in my Jeep after my diesel experiment. I want to lose the mechanical fan and go electric. I had flex-a-lites years ago and although they were designed for my jeep, the clearance was exceptionally tight. I bought the Flex-a-lite low profile 420 set of dual fans w/ the intention of modifying the shrouding to suck them up closer to the radiator. I found today that the overall width of the blades meant that no matter how much trimming I can't suck them all the way down because they exceed the width of the radiator and will rest on the radiator mounts which costs me almost a 1/4 inch. If I mount this set I will have almost no clearance between the water pump pulley bolts and the fan. There is also very little room between fans and AC comp so I don't think searching for a slimmer water pump and pulley is going to help. I think part of the problem that I didn't have last time w/ the flex-a-lites is that I've installed new motor mounts which likely pushed the engine angle up a little and moved the pulley closer.... just spit-balling there.

I was thinking of going to a 16" Spal fan and mounting it directly to the radiator fins. The Spal is 2.5" and if I mount it directly to the rad it should give me about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch clearance. I know that a shrouded system is best. My old mechanical fan (w/ no clutch) had no shroud and had no problems keeping my jeep cool.

I bought a Flex-a-lite 31163 fan controller kit that I plan to use with whatever fan system I get. I'm going to add a manual on/off switch as well for the random deep water crossing that I may run into.

In conclusion, I guess my questions are:
1. Thoughts on running fans w/ minimal (1/4" or less) clearance to front of engine.
2. Thoughts on Spal fan directly mounted to radiator
3. Thoughts on the Flex-a-lite 31163 controller system. I'm not super awesome at wiring, so I thought this kit would have what I need without having to engineer something.

I did do a ton of searching and reading and a lot of threads touch on various elements of this, but many devolve into "electric vs mechanical" and "this works on my LS swap, so it should work for you" type threads.

Thanks for any help! I'm going to try and mock up what I have again and get some photos. I already boxed up the fans to return, but I know you guys love photos so I'll see what I can do!
Thanks!
-cb

1982 Jeep Scrambler w/ MBZ OM617 POWERHOUSE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-02-2019, 07:44 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

The SPAL is LOUD, but moves a ton of air. Can you mount it off center to gain a bit more clearance to the water pump pulley? I built a shround for mine that is about 3/4" deep and mounted the fan to the inside, the fan sits just off of the radiator and pulls air through the entire surface.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 20 Old 11-02-2019, 09:37 PM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Contour fans with 3/4" clearance on mine with 258. It's possible to actually mount closer to rad than I did and gain perhaps another 1/4 to 1/2". Can't comment on your points 2 & 3.

68e1c1cf-fd72-46bb-b11f-93ba5bebf12a.jpg

Move a lot of air. Pretty quiet. Driving highway hardly ever kicks in. Street /trail have only had one come on so far and that first one is wired for half speed. Some warmish days too @ 90F. Have also set up manual override and can flick both on.

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.

post #4 of 20 Old 11-02-2019, 09:43 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
I'm a big fan (pun intended) of electric fans....you can run them at full speed when you're rock crawling and the engine is at low RPM's....and turn them off when going through water....and turn them on when the engine is off.

I'm using the Ford Taurus fan with a variable controller. Fan speed depends on the water temp coming 'out' of the radiator. Hence, if I'm on the fwy, the fan pretty much just shuts down.

Here is an old pic. I just did a short shaft water pump conversion to give me more clearance. I'll post some pics later when it's all done.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0921.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-02-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
43Duc

1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whollsee View Post
Contour fans with 3/4" clearance on mine with 258. It's possible to actually mount closer to rad than I did and gain perhaps another 1/4 to 1/2". Can't comment on your points 2 & 3.

Move a lot of air. Pretty quiet. Driving highway hardly ever kicks in. Street /trail have only had one come on so far and that first one is wired for half speed. Some warmish days too @ 90F. Have also set up manual override and can flick both on.
I thought about the Contour fans, but measurements that I found online showed it to be more than 2 1/2 inches thick, so I didn't think it would work for me.

Also, there are no pick-part yards near me, but I'm not opposed to buying a new one from ebay or wherever. Is the Ford wiring harness needed, or could I wire up my controller? Assuming I could get it to fit...

post #6 of 20 Old 11-03-2019, 01:00 AM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Duc View Post
I thought about the Contour fans, but measurements that I found online showed it to be more than 2 1/2 inches thick, so I didn't think it would work for me.

Also, there are no pick-part yards near me, but I'm not opposed to buying a new one from ebay or wherever. Is the Ford wiring harness needed, or could I wire up my controller? Assuming I could get it to fit...

Plenty of Contour adopters on forum here! Do you have the stock style radiator?

Mine unit was new from Rockauto - Spectra 15030

http://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1362248&parttype=2181

Your controller will work. It is variable speed and kicks in at a lower load so always running two fans at same time should be fine.

post #7 of 20 Old 11-03-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
43Duc

1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whollsee View Post
Plenty of Contour adopters on forum here! Do you have the stock style radiator?

Mine unit was new from Rockauto - Spectra 15030

http://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1362248&parttype=2181

Your controller will work. It is variable speed and kicks in at a lower load so always running two fans at same time should be fine.
Can you tell me the thickness of your fan? I'd go with it if I could get good measurements. The core width of my radiator (stock style) is 24 1/4". Does the contour fan sit down against the core, or does it ride off the radiator mounts which mine would add about 1/4" (and why the flex-a-lites are so tight). If the contour sits agains the core, it might work provided it's only a little over 2.5 inches wide.

Based on some searching it looks like the shroud itself is right at 24" which would set it down against the core. I just need the thickness measurement and I can check and see if it will clear.

post #8 of 20 Old 11-03-2019, 01:50 AM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Can you tell me the thickness of your fan? I'd go with it if I could get good measurements. The core width of my radiator (stock style) is 24 1/4". Does the contour fan sit down against the core, or does it ride off the radiator mounts which mine would add about 1/4" (and why the flex-a-lites are so tight). If the contour sits agains the core, it might work provided it's only a little over 2.5 inches wide.

Based on some searching it looks like the shroud itself is right at 24" which would set it down against the core. I just need the thickness measurement and I can check and see if it will clear.
Will do tomorrow.

Edit: It's tomorrow! Here is a pic that gives a better view of the clearance...

Name:  IMG_3166.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  58.3 KB

So the contour unit is 2.5" at the point where it faces the water pump pulley [as per the above image] The two fan caps add another 1/2" but they are nowhere near the pulley. It would even be possible to remove/cut some of the contour casing if it was even an issue. The contour at 24 and a smidge" will sit right against the radiator if you want it to. You may have to modify or even remove the plastic mounting tabs to do that. I chose not to go that way as I had clearance and used high-temp foam strip to seal/shroud the casing. On the centre cap radiators the Contour should cover the core pretty much completely. With the offset cap, like mine, there is about an inch of core left exposed at the bottom.
This pic gives good view of my install...

Name:  IMG_2815.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  121.7 KB

Check the forum for threads on the contour mod. There are a few.

Whollsee

post #9 of 20 Old 11-03-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
43Duc

1982 CJ8 

Great! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

post #10 of 20 Old 11-03-2019, 09:38 PM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Great! That's exactly what I'm looking for.
PS: if you do opt to order the spectra unit you will need to purchase two connectors if you want to just have fans at same speed or three connectors if you want to wire in the resistor for half speed on one as well. I went with 3 of the Standard brand...

http://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1362248&parttype=2556

Would be worth a call to whomever you order from to check if connectors are included or not.

W

post #11 of 20 Old 11-03-2019, 09:47 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

How tight are you? have you thought about changing out the pulley bolts for something with a lower profile? A countersunk screw would have a lower profile, especially if you drilled the hols a tad. Talking 1/4" to 3/8" gain.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #12 of 20 Old 11-09-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
43Duc

1982 CJ8 

I plan on returning the Flexalite and gettin the contour fan. However my plans are temporarily on hold due to a seeming insurmountable frustration!

I have spent the last several weeks getting my freshly rebuilt engine ready to go and yesterday I got to the point of adding fluids in anticipation of firing it up and breaking it in. I decided to put the stock mechanical fan on for the break-in period so I wouldn't be messing around w/ electric controller settings.

Long story short, after putting coolant in, and before attempting to start it, I have coolant leaking out of a couple of freeze plugs. Sadly, a good amount is coming from one the rear plugs behind the flywheel. I am beyond upset about having to pull the engine again. Soooo frustrating!!!!!!

post #13 of 20 Old 11-11-2019, 02:36 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
I plan on returning the Flexalite and gettin the contour fan. However my plans are temporarily on hold due to a seeming insurmountable frustration!

I have spent the last several weeks getting my freshly rebuilt engine ready to go and yesterday I got to the point of adding fluids in anticipation of firing it up and breaking it in. I decided to put the stock mechanical fan on for the break-in period so I wouldn't be messing around w/ electric controller settings.

Long story short, after putting coolant in, and before attempting to start it, I have coolant leaking out of a couple of freeze plugs. Sadly, a good amount is coming from one the rear plugs behind the flywheel. I am beyond upset about having to pull the engine again. Soooo frustrating!!!!!!
Not good.

Who did the block for you? I'm guessing you are somewhat in my neck of the woods. Not a whole of lot of engine machine shops left

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-12-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
43Duc

1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Not good.

Who did the block for you? I'm guessing you are somewhat in my neck of the woods. Not a whole of lot of engine machine shops left
It was done by a shop here in Mission Viejo. I don't want to publicly rant until I get it all sorted out. I called the shop and spoke to the owner who did my engine. He assured me that he would take care of it, but he asked that I run it first to see if things seal up once it gets hot. He suggested Aluma-seal if I'm not hot to take the engine back out.

I got it running and was working on the first 20 minutes of varying RPM when it up and died. I'm still working on getting it running for more than a few minutes at a time... looks like a significant vacuum leak. Anyway, after getting it nice and hot, it no longer seems to be leaking. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

I figure if I need to replace that rear plug, I'll probably just drop the transfer case and tranny and do it while in the jeep. I've got to drop the transfer case eventually anyway to re-seal it. We'll see how it all works out. Once I get it broken in I can take care of the fan issue. Contemplating a new radiator as well.

post #15 of 20 Old 11-13-2019, 08:31 AM
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
The SPAL is LOUD, but moves a ton of air. Can you mount it off center to gain a bit more clearance to the water pump pulley? I built a shround for mine that is about 3/4" deep and mounted the fan to the inside, the fan sits just off of the radiator and pulls air through the entire surface.
This is what I did. A 16" SPAL fan that is mounted offset for clearance.

'76 CJ5
430ci E85 SBC/single plate system
th400/Coan converter/DTS 9" rear
Family grocery getter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in