Electric choke question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Lars81258

Electric choke question

So I have a 1974 Jeep cj5. The carburetor has been replaced with an edelbrock that has an electric choke. My question is, where would I wire the positive for the choke? I donít have a fuse box, so I was going to wire it directly to the back of the ignition switch. Upon removal of the ignition switch, I noticed the jungle of wires already hooked up. I noticed the different Ďcategoriesí of wiring, such as ignition, accessories, etc., and I know I need to wire into the ignition, but each slot is already filled. Do I need to splice into one of the wires? If so, which one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Lars81258

Hereís a picture of the ignition switch
Attached Thumbnails
WB8YcdR.jpg  
post #3 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 07:59 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

That's a lot more connections than the OEM switch had. And according to the schematic, the 74 should have a fuse box.

Best to take a test light and start looking for connection HOT in Run position but NOT HOT in ACCESSORY position.
Use the ones only HOT in the RUN position.

74-75a.jpg74-75b.jpg

If you need the full size schematic, PM me but I don;t think it will do much good. Already from what you say, you don't have the original wiring system.

Do you know if it was replaced at one time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 01:24 AM
dmoore_64
1974 CJ5 

My 74 does not have a fuse box either. I am relatively certain that my wiring is original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:02 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I found the Factory FSM for 74 and sure enough there is no fuse box however the switch still does not look like the one you posted.

Schematic:
https://oljeep.com/gw/74_tsm/22-7-CJWiringDiagram.pdf

Wiring legend:
https://oljeep.com/gw/74_tsm/22-WiringDiagrams.pdf

So I recommend that you still use a test light like I described above.

I have to say yours is a much better setup.

By the way, the complete FSM for 1974 can be found here: https://oljeep.com/edge_74_tsm.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:19 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Looking at the REAL schematic and wiring diagram circuit A-52 (Green with White tracer) seems to do nothing but supply power to the backup light.
Tap in after the fuse if you can to protect the circuit.

If you want to find out what side of the fuse to tap in, then take the fuse holder apart and remove the fuse. Turn the key to ON. Take a test light and test each side of the fuse holder. The side that does NOT light up is the side is the side you want to tap into.

1974-e-choke-tap.jpg

Ideally you would want to wire in an oil pressure switch so the echoke doesn't start heating until the engine is running.

If you want to do that let me know otherwise this will work if you start the jeep right away.
Otherwise if you wait too long, the choke will open up and you will have a hard time starting the jeep in cold weather.

post #7 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 05:53 AM
PottsyCJ5

1975 CJ5 

Electric choke question

My choke heat tube is cracked, and causing long start up times and I have been thinking about switching to either an electric choke or a manual choke. The kits for manual chokes from Dorman are about all I can find and reviews say they are junk.

For the electric choke, I found a really cool kit for conversion on Mikes Carburetors website (cool guy/cool site) that uses a thermostat/rheostat on the 12 volt hot going to the new electric choke that seems to apply more voltage as the engine heats up. I am thinking about going that route as it seems like it would operate the closest to the automatic choke based on engine heat not simply time.

Just thought I would mention it. It seems like a cool setup and better than the average electric choke. Itís not mentioned in the product listing, but if you watch Mikes install video he explains it.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Ele...t-_p_3878.html

For the ignition hot, could he just use a fuse tap after the fuse on an ignition only circuit on the fuse box John? Thatís what I was thinking about doing cause Iím running out of places to grab an ignition only hot and donít like double up on certain circuits I tapped into (old coil hot now powers HEI, old ICM ignition hot now powers Tachometer, etc.). Not sure if fuse taps are recommended or not though.

post #8 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 06:46 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PottsyCJ5 View Post
My choke heat tube is cracked, and causing long start up times and I have been thinking about switching to either an electric choke or a manual choke. The kits for manual chokes from Dorman are about all I can find and reviews say they are junk.

For the electric choke, I found a really cool kit for conversion on Mikes Carburetors website (cool guy/cool site) that uses a thermostat/rheostat on the 12 volt hot going to the new electric choke that seems to apply more voltage as the engine heats up. I am thinking about going that route as it seems like it would operate the closest to the automatic choke based on engine heat not simply time.
It won't add more voltage but will control the amount of current going to the choke. It probably drops the current when it's warmed up to increase the life of the choke.

Looks like a nice conversion though.

Quote:
Just thought I would mention it. It seems like a cool setup and better than the average electric choke. It’s not mentioned in the product listing, but if you watch Mikes install video he explains it.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Ele...t-_p_3878.html

For the ignition hot, could he just use a fuse tap after the fuse on an ignition only circuit on the fuse box John? That’s what I was thinking about doing cause I’m running out of places to grab an ignition only hot and don’t like double up on certain circuits I tapped into (old coil hot now powers HEI, old ICM ignition hot now powers Tachometer, etc.). Not sure if fuse taps are recommended or not though.

I don't know if they make fuse taps for in-line fuses though. If they do, that would be ideal.

If you have a link for an in-line fuse tap, please post it.

post #9 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 08:52 AM
PottsyCJ5

1975 CJ5 

Electric choke question

Gotcha on the current John. That makes sense. I like the way that unit seems to operate, it gives the benefit of going electric while still keeping similar operation in terms of opening the choke based on engine temp that the automatic chokes have. Ideally I would keep the automatic choke but no one I can find makes the heat tube with the thermostat inline on it anymore.

If I can find a good kit I am leaning towards manual but this electric choke conversion has my interest since it wonít require a new hole in the dash.

For the fuse tap I was talking about the type that taps into the fuse at the fuse box, not an inline fuse. Thatís probably what I would use for a new ignition hot source, since like I said I am running out of options and donít like doubling things up.

post #10 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:21 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Backup fuse isn't used much....

post #11 of 14 Old 03-27-2020, 07:29 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

This post just made my so far miserable week much better. John just made a boo-boo on a Jeep wiring question and I knew upon reading he was wrong. John unlike many experts was quick to verify his answer and to admit his mistake. John you are still the go to man on things Jeep electrical. Please excuse my poking fun at you.

Yes John that appears to be a standard 74 ignition switch. I am in the midst of chasing a short in our 74 and have the dash dropped as I type this. I had it in my hand yesterday and before sat down to compose this reply I took the laptop out to the oak tree and compared them. They match. Don't ask me where all those wires go.

Lars you should go here and download this https://oljeep.com/edge_74_tsm.html . There is a detailed wiring diagram and it is very confusing unless you can "blow it up." I use a Nook ereader so I can easily take it outside to the Jeep but any Ipad type devise will work. If you look at section 22-7 you will find the Rosetta Stone for the wiring harness. It give you info on each circuit along with identifying each wire by color. I won't advise you as to which circuit is best for an electric choke as I still use the heat controlled choke. In that there are only four or is it five fused circuits I suspect you won't find a little used circuit. Get the entire manual because you'll eventually need it. Many times I've bookmarked a web site and gone back to find it gone.

I will advise you replace your wiring harness with a new one that incorporates a fuse block and more circuits. I used a Speedway Motors' 12 circuit and IIRC only used nine circuits. One of the circuits I didn't use was for an electric choke. Over the 46 year life of your Jeep it has gone through several owners and each has done his part butchering your wiring. Add brittle connectors, corroded wires, and bad grounds it is probably needed. By the time we bought ours the tail lights were on an individual circuit and turned on and off with a toggle switch. When I turned the heater fan on my oil pressure hit 80 PSI. I figured that the only way I could place my mark on the electrical system was to start over. If you do add dedicated grounds.

Please excuse the ramblings of a self isolated old faht bored chitless sitting home watching the grass grow. At least there is a break in the rain to go work on the Jeep. Cheers y'all!

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #12 of 14 Old 03-27-2020, 07:48 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Thank you, I'm going to have a little talk with Haynes publications. I was lucky I found the 1974 FSM.

I would suggest downloading those files as we never long how long they will exist.

Put it on a memory stick or something as we also know hard drives don't last forever either...

post #13 of 14 Old 03-28-2020, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Lars81258

Thanks for all the responses! I have learned a lot of information and gathered a lot of new resources!

But I was just wondering, is it possible for me to just tap into one of these wires (that only supplies the 12V when in the ‘running’ position) and have a 10amp inline fuse in the electric choke’s wire? I would probably tap around where the white zip tie is in the picture I posted of the switch.

I feel like this could possibly work, and the fuse would prevent any shorts from the choke itself or the other wire that I tap into.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-28-2020, 02:34 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here's the easiest and best way to wire up the e-choke.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
MainfoldHeater1.jpg.jpg  

Tags
cj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in