EFI Conversion Kit - JeepForum.com
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 08-22-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
jdbourgeacq

EFI Conversion Kit

Does anyone have any experience with conversion from carburetor to EFI for a CJ7 6 cylinder 5 speed? Trying to educate myself before I spend the money. Any recommendations, for or against, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 08-22-2019, 05:30 PM
jlkeener
1980 CJ5 

Don't have the six cylinder but I did the Howell conversion to my 1980 304 and couldn't be happier. Fixed all my stalling and idling issues. Installation wasn't that hard as all the harness/fuses are in the harness Howell provides. IMHO it was money well spent.
jdbourgeacq likes this.
post #3 of 39 Old 08-22-2019, 06:47 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did the Howell on my YJ. The best improvement of any mods I've done.

The instructions are a little disorganized, but you'll get through it. And depending on where you live, they have an EPA approved version.
CrashOdle and jdbourgeacq like this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

post #4 of 39 Old 08-22-2019, 06:56 PM
Rondawg80
1980 CJ5 

I did the Howell on my 1980 CJ5 258 six. WORTH EVERY PENNY! I am in CA. and my smog numbers are nearly nonexistent. Excellent throttle response and idles smooth.
jdbourgeacq likes this.
post #5 of 39 Old 08-22-2019, 07:43 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

If you don't need it for smog (emission) reasons, you might want to look at some of the newer EFI kits. If you are ever thinking of installing a SBC the other kits would trade over. Some of the newer kits have setting for various engines. The Howell is 30+ year old technology but some of the kits are approved for California emissions on Jeep vehicles. There are cheaper more modern solutions if you don't need it to pass emissions.
jdbourgeacq likes this.
post #6 of 39 Old 08-22-2019, 08:21 PM
Anywherebuthere

Did a Howell on my '78 258. Old tech but does the job. I would also suggest, although not necessary, that you swap to a cam that is designed for fuel injection. Noticed a difference when I swapped cams in mine. Used a Comp Cams 68-232-4 myself. Of course that also requires that you verify the valve train geometry if you switch cams but it's quick work on a 258. I needed different pushrods with that cam.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
jdbourgeacq likes this.
post #7 of 39 Old 08-22-2019, 10:13 PM
thekojak

I did the affordable fuel injection kit on mine. It was the best thousand dollars I ever spent. I think they offer spark and fuel control with their new kits.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
jdbourgeacq likes this.
post #8 of 39 Old 08-22-2019, 10:35 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It started with throttle body Injection, a simple injector in what looked like a carb. If you could fit an oxygen sensor in the exhaust, a crankshaft position senor, a stronger fuel pump, high pressure hose, controller, you were good to go. reliable. This is what Howell sells.

Of course Mopar have a much better system, on the 4.0HO, that has an injector for each cylinder. better mixture. You can with a bit of work get the entire Mopar injection system to work on the 258. Reliable.

There are plenty of newer choices, the Holley Sniper EFI has a version for Jeep 258s which looks a bit like a BBD carb and comes in silver, black and gold!!!! Still looks like TBI to me.

If you were a genius level you could use a 4.0HO manifold and injectors and pump etc and mix it up with a Megasquirt controller to make it fully programmable. I have been looking at this for some time, just don't think i will get the full benefits on a lumbering 258.
John Strenk and jdbourgeacq like this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #9 of 39 Old 08-22-2019, 11:03 PM
AMCJeeps

Garage
I put the Howell throttle body kit on my 84 CJ with the 258. Best $ I've spent on the CJ. transformed the vehicle. Much much better than the damn carb.Not only runs better, but you get to toss out yards of vacuum hoses, wires and worthless smog equipment.
jdbourgeacq likes this.

84 CJ7 Renegade
87 XJ Laredo
97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
post #10 of 39 Old 08-22-2019, 11:32 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Fitech

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...cending&page=3

I think you can get the Fitech for less money and it is a modern EFI system. They even make a 2 barrel system but I would use a carb adapter and use a 4 barrel unit in case I wanted to throw a SBC in some day.
jdbourgeacq likes this.
post #11 of 39 Old 08-23-2019, 09:58 AM
CrashOdle

1981 CJ7 

Best Money Spent

81 CJ7 with the 258, did the Howell conversion. Best money spent! Starts perfect every time, and runs beautiful. Also a Ca jeep, smog hasn't been an issue.
jdbourgeacq likes this.

81 CJ7 258 Howell TBI/T999/Dana 300/Dana 44s locked Methods and 35" MTRs

06 LJ on 44s Full Traction LA w/ Kings rolling 17" Racelines and 37" Toyo muds, Genright armor up, under and around

"but babe, it's a safety modification...."
post #12 of 39 Old 08-23-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
jdbourgeacq

Thatís so awesome info! I appreciate it! Thanks, yíall! So it sounds like Howell and Fitech are the favorites to go to. Any models in particular you might recommend?

Also, CJs are pretty straight forward simple mechanics (even when the Weber Carbs act up). So Iím curious, in the event that thereís a massive magnetic attack, would introducing the electronics wipe out any chance that the Jeep might start (sorry for my nerdiness, lol)?

Anyway, all your inputs and info are so helpful, thanks!

post #13 of 39 Old 08-23-2019, 06:47 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbourgeacq View Post
Thatís so awesome info! I appreciate it! Thanks, yíall! So it sounds like Howell and Fitech are the favorites to go to. Any models in particular you might recommend?

Also, CJs are pretty straight forward simple mechanics (even when the Weber Carbs act up). So Iím curious, in the event that thereís a massive magnetic attack, would introducing the electronics wipe out any chance that the Jeep might start (sorry for my nerdiness, lol)?

Anyway, all your inputs and info are so helpful, thanks!

EMP will kill any EFI system. Itís the electronic part thatís the problem. Unless of course you want to spend large government sums of money to harden the system. 🤪
jdbourgeacq likes this.
post #14 of 39 Old 08-23-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
jdbourgeacq

post #15 of 39 Old 08-24-2019, 12:09 PM
tchimmerroks
1983 CJ5 

I did the Howell, tbi kit on an '81 CJ5, 4.2L. I also had an Erson, RV cam in the engine, and HEI distributor. It ran, and performed fantastic.
jdbourgeacq likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in