Dumb Question...'Jeep wave' after 30 years away. - JeepForum.com
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 11-23-2021, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Islander13

1981 CJ7 

Dumb Question...'Jeep wave' after 30 years away.

Since there's no 'Dumb question' subforum, I'll ask here. I just got my '81 CJ7 on the road with the T4 trans in place of the SR4 and took her out for a 90 minute shake down cruise with the top off. A little chilly in Canada, but that's why I like it. Anyways, I accidentally snubbed a few newer Wrangler drivers who waved at me.

It's been 30 years since I was last in a CJ and there were almost NO other Jeeps on the road back then. So then I see a couple of Wranglers and give them a little wave, and they wave back, but then I realize that the damn roads are full of them around where I live. All newer ones of course... So is this a thing? Do we have a social contract to wave when we see the iconic front grill? Serious question... I'm usually doing my own thing and don't really look at what other people are driving. Thanks in advance.

It was a great cruise btw, and the new trans was great... was able to cruise at 55 on the 20 miles or so of hwy driving I did.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4228.jpg  

Ken D
1981 CJ7
258 4spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 03:13 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think if you are driving a CJ all you have to do is raise your fingers a little to acknowledge the wave. Real jeepers know that taking one hand off a CJ steering wheel can lead to 'complications'. Mistakes will be made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 03:45 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I don't mind giving the Jeep wave but merely raise my fingers off the steering wheel to acknowledge the wave on newer Jeeps. Now with someone driving a CJ or older Jeep, that's a different story altogether. We wave enthusiastically, thumbs up and if going slow enough, bump fist. Seriously, bumped fist two or three times with someone else in a CJ and Jeepster on the back roads and stopped to chat about our Jeeps. Rare opportunities to actually see another CJ on the road justifies stopping in my area.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #4 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 03:48 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

Only Jeeps (applies whether Willy's, AMC or Chrysler era, also include Mitsubishi and Mahindra).

Younger Jeep salutes senior Jeep (older jeep) and senior responds.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #5 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 04:07 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I think if you are driving a CJ all you have to do is raise your fingers a little to acknowledge the wave. Real jeepers know that taking one hand off a CJ steering wheel can lead to 'complications'. Mistakes will be made.
Lol…hold on tight, and keep her pointed in the right direction. Some Jeeps like to wander like a hound dog with his nose to the ground.

As far as the Jeep wave goes. I kinda asked the same question after getting back into a CJ-7 a couple years age. It’s a real thing, in more ways than one. Wranglers are everywhere around my neck of the woods, and we all wave at each other.

Apparently it’s been going on since the early days.

And then there is the other one, when I bought my 2020 JLU EcoDiesel it came with the “ Jeep Wave” program. It’s a marketing tool focused on bringing the new buyer in for maintenances at the dealership. They gave me four free oil changes within the first two years of ownership.
JoonHoss and Islander13 like this.

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #6 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 06:29 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

In my neck of the woods everyone waves regardless of what you are driving. It's just a neighborly thing. It took a while to get used to when we first moved here, now it's habitual, I do it without even thinking about it.

Waves come in all different varieties. There's the full hand wave, the 4-finger raise wave, the one-finger raise waves, the gun point and shoot wave, and the simple head nod wave. There's one old boy around here who actually tips his hat at you.

Matt
JoonHoss, keith460 and Islander13 like this.

post #7 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 07:26 AM
dolsoncj7
1981 CJ8 

Degree of wave depends on the oncoming target. I believe the young'ns should respect their elders... But, lifted fingers to full-blown wave will vary with what's coming.

Completely ignore anything with undercarriage LED lights or "angry" grills. Jeeps have 7 slots, bozo. Gladiators, meh, only if they're hauling a CJ that's just been rescued from a field.

We had Pleasure Island Jeep Jam in May, and my wife noticed a young lady walking around interviewing the owners about their Jeeps (she had a Jeep grill on her bike). She loves the old-school Jeeps and was working hard to get her own. Fast-forward to a month ago when I sold a YJ hard top I had to a guy down the road. He said it was for his 15 year old daughter's YJ that she bought. Come to find out it was the same young lady that interviewed my wife. Mad props.

Anyone been here: https://www.sevenslotgrillerc.com/
rbunch4468 and Islander13 like this.

1981 CJ8 Scrambler
1985 CJ7 Renegade
post #8 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 07:44 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I am some what more picky i guess. Your jeep looks like its used as a jeep sure. or is it DD street car? To me owning a jeep dont make you jeeper, miight make you a car guy, gear head etc.... Jeeper? hardly really. Club jeeps Rank first in my book. Your flying colors of your club, well that means you are involved in the life. I will include any $X$ in that same group too.
Islander13 likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #9 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 09:12 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

In our little corner of the Jeep world CJs aren't rare. If I go up the highway a half mile make a right turn and left at the tee intersection then cross the railroad tracks bridge drive past the county dump and country club and then turn left at the cemetery you come to our county seat Pickens SC. Pickens is a typical small southern town where there are shops open on main street including an old school hardware store all with lawyer offices over them. The courthouse is on the square. You'd expect to see Andy and Barney walking down the sidewalk. During topless weather you can see five or six CJs cruising up and down Main on Saturday night. It is also where Larry Hinkle had what was the world's largest Jeep dealership. He closed it rather than sell AMC cars. It is also where in October the city promoted the "Jeep Explosion" in which over 400 Jeeps of various lineages took part. Folks estimated that there were over 100 CJs there. The Boss had an ear infection so we drove the ZJ so she'd have protection from the wind. The city has asked our Jeep Club to take part in their Christmas parade in early December.

I got the following instructions last week "The group will meet at the middle school starting at 5 pm to decorate and organize. We will be placing CJs and older Jeeps in the front to get the sound effects. Each person is responsible for your own decorations."

Do we wave at each other? You can bet you sweet bippy we do. If we recognize another Jeep or old Willys truck we wave. My 35-year-old friend Candace has an orange hand decal on the driver side mirror on her Jeep with two too many door openings waves her mirror when she meets another Jeep. Her hubby complains that he always has to adjust the mirror when he drives her Jeep. I always wave even to the Jeep which has dark window tinting and I can't see if the driver is returning the wave.

Never wave with a finger (unless you are a proctologist). Some folks might get confused as to which finger you are waving. Cut me off in traffic and I'll wave at you!

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #10 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 10:37 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I live exactly 3.7 miles of mostly residential roads away from my work. It is not at all unusual to pass 4- 6 jeeps each direction everyday. Literally, each way, every day.

On a longer trip here, (in two way traffic, no highway/ freeway), I'd say you probably average 1-2 jeeps per mile, and a full 90+% will initiate/respond with a wave.(speaking of CJ/YJ/TJ/JK/JL lineage here)

I'm so used to it, I only drive with my left hand on top of the wheel so I can lift the index and middle fingers up, and hold the wheel with my ring, pinky and thumb.

My kids laugh at me when i forget I'm NOT in my jeep, and still throw the errant wave...

Hoss
Lockman75 and Islander13 like this.

I used to be a people person, until people ruined it...
post #11 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 11:05 AM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander13 View Post
It's been 30 years since I was last in a CJ and there were almost NO other Jeeps on the road back then.
30 years ago, even 40, 50, 60 years ago there were other Jeep (brand) models but the wave has always only been a Jeep (model) thing. Other models did not participate. Then about 20 years or so ago these other models tried to commandeer this historic wave. Mostly the Wrangler (model) because they think since it looks similar (the earlier ones) they can tag along. Most don't realize the wrangler is not of the Jeep (model) lineage but instead a completely different model / design from it's inception. AMC seemed to go out of their way to make that known but now they're gone and time has a way of muddying history. And with the advent of the internet, people have even tried to create some type of hierarchy or rating of wave order and point system.
I wave to any Jeep, beit either series (M or CJ) but treat other Chrysler Jeep models as I would any car or truck. They wave, I'll wave back. Most of the time because I didn't recognize them as an acquaintance in the first place. But call me a Jeep purist, history buff, whatever. I will always uphold the Jeep (model) only tradition whether I know them or not.
It's funny too. These folks that say the wave is a brand thing and not just for the Jeep model are the same ones that refuse to wave at a Liberty, Cherokee, or other model!
Islander13 likes this.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

post #12 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Islander13

1981 CJ7 

Great answers! Thanks to all. I'm a pretty social guy by nature, so I'll wave to anyone who waves - I felt bad for accidentally snubbing a couple of wrangler drivers that waved and I didn't notice right away. I really was more concerned whether parts might be flying off my own vehicle (it was a shakedown cruise). When I realized that most everything was screwed on tight - I relaxed, and started noticing just how many newer Jeeps were on the road in my area. The waving hand decal on the drivers side mirror might not be a bad idea. When I see another CJ driver, I'll probably tackle them.

In the old days, when I was in my twenties, the Jeep wave was like the old saying 'It's a Jeep thing'. Where it was like 'sure, it breaks down sometime, might leak a little oil... but we love it anyways'. There's some undefinable joy in cruising around in an old jeep without the top and doors on. Staring down at that simple gauge cluster. I'm not sure if that translates to the new ones. Maybe the new ones are more like driving a good reliable truck. You do feel like a boss. I never felt like a boss in the old CJ - more like I was cruising along in my own world and I don't really care what anyone else does.

Thanks to all on the forum here for the help in getting this old non-running CJ back on the road. My goal was to get it up and running (somewhat reliably) as soon as I could. As I mentioned in another post - I had a cancer diagnosis last year, so I've been doing a lot of things that I enjoy while I still can. My prognosis is decent, but I don't take anything for granted.

I really felt like a kid again cruising around in my own world - listening to some old tunes. Back in the day, I went from riding motorcycles to Jeeps (after a crash), and fell in love with Jeep'ing right away. I'm a little reluctant to do too much offroading with this one yet, as my front drive shaft is a little loose. And old CJ parts are tough to find where I live. But I have a lot of country back roads and places to explore.

Ken D
1981 CJ7
258 4spd
post #13 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 01:05 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander13 View Post
I'm not sure if that translates to the new ones. Maybe the new ones are more like driving a good reliable truck.
Thats the thing. There are NO new ones. The last Jeep rolled off the assembly line in January of 1986. Anything else is only similar looking on the outside and sold by a different company, sans the first year Wranglers. (hence the different name and model letters)

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

post #14 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 03:13 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Back in 1986 (and earlier) the CJ-7’s were the new ones. The guys with the flat fender Jeeps, Willys Jeeps and CJ-5 Jeeps were busy looking down their noses at the New CJ-7’s…lol just like now, it’s no different, but it is amusing.

Jeep is a trademark first acquired by Willy-overland, then to Kaizer, then AMC, then Chrysler. The Jeep name is the reason Chrysler bought AMC, for the Jeep brand.

The tide has changed, the season is new, decades have come and gone, and yet some things never change.
JoonHoss, jakesdad and Islander13 like this.

post #15 of 59 Old 11-24-2021, 04:55 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
So in 1976 the New Jeep CJ-7 is a Jeep.
But in 1987 the New Jeep Wrangler is not a Jeep?
I’m not sure how anyone can come to this conclusion.
I understand is is a completely new modernized design, but it was still a Jeep Wrangler, made by Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
D77C65EC-5200-47E2-87BE-D68CA5BD3092.jpg   FDDA17BB-9B0A-46F0-9923-1DF100D938FD.jpg  
Mr. Bitey and Islander13 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in