Driving with broken U-joint to rear drive shaft - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-24-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Dustpan

Driving with broken U-joint to rear drive shaft

Hello, this is my first post and I apologize in advance if this question has been asked 100 times before. I have a mostly 86’ CJ7. I have only just started to get to know it and yesterday I stupidly drove into this tall grass on my property (without bothering to see what it was concealing) and hit a big rock that broke the front U-joint of the rear drive shaft. It broke the removable strap that holds it on and I unknowingly continued up the hill with front wheels only until I lost traction. First question: If I remove the rear drive shaft altogether in the field, will I damage anything if I drive it in 4WD low with just the front wheels (hopefully the answer is no because I already drive a short distance this way)? Second question: I am normally rational and reasoning, why do I seem to get stupid when I get behind the wheel of this Jeep? Thanks for any answers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-24-2019, 08:09 PM
jlkeener
1980 CJ5 

You should be able to drive with just front wheel drive for short distances without incurring any issues. I wouldn't drive it out on the freeway, but for a short drives its ok.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-24-2019, 08:12 PM
K0LCB

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
It wonít hurt to drive short distance with only front drive. Probably okay in 4-High.
Lot of folks do stupid things when they get behind wheel of a Jeep! Welcome to our group!

L. C. AKA LEONARD
Itís a Jeep thing

post #4 of 11 Old 07-24-2019, 08:16 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Cj

4HI, and you're fine.
Steering will be funky.
Drove mine over 100miles home with the rear DS out in 4HI.
LG

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
post #5 of 11 Old 07-24-2019, 09:24 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Pull the rear and go. Drove one home 2 hours in front wheel drive when a rear locker broke. Bit of torque steer, but that also could have been from the front locker.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #6 of 11 Old 07-24-2019, 09:59 PM
RocksFearMe

No issues at all. Drive like a sane human being and don't push things you can get home. Yank the rear drive shaft out and go about your way. The other easy fix to help eliminate your worries is carry trail spares that you can replace when you break. You have a CJ-7 so super easy to work on and repair. Great Jeep in my opinion. Each time I go out and break or someone in the group breaks I learn a new trail fix and learn new weaknesses which helps me increase the trail spares I carry. Trail spares are your friend!
post #7 of 11 Old 07-24-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Dustpan

Thanks very much. The Jeep is actually up in the woods on my own property, so I only want to drive it out of the woods to fix it on my driveway.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-25-2019, 08:00 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

This reminds me of the one and only time I disconnected my rear driveshaft to flat-tow my CJ, as so many recommend. While attempting to re-connect the driveshaft in the mud at hunt camp, I snapped off one of the retaining screws in the yoke. Without the proper tools to fix it in camp, we resorted to front wheel drive only for the week long hunt, which limited the areas we could travel to.

I will never disconnect my driveshaft to flat-tow again.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 Old 07-25-2019, 10:31 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
4HI, and you're fine.
Steering will be funky.
Drove mine over 100miles home with the rear DS out in 4HI.
LG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Pull the rear and go. Drove one home 2 hours in front wheel drive when a rear locker broke. Bit of torque steer, but that also could have been from the front locker.
Yep, noticed the torque steer when I drove mine with the rear shaft removed also. Never expected it to be so pronounced.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-25-2019, 11:02 AM
jsal

1978 CJ5 

Garage
Dittos on the torque steer, front tires tires lose traction easily when taking off from a stop, especially if there is any gravel on the blacktop. At 75 on the freeway I could not tell any difference at all.

1978 Jeep CJ-5
post #11 of 11 Old 07-25-2019, 05:23 PM
kd7oir

1977 CJ5 

I think you first question has been answered and I agree with everyone on that. The answer to your second question is, if you had a Corvette, would you drive it like a grandma? Of course not. You are going to wait to feel that power and you'll probably get a couple tickets. So this is a Jeep. Not alot of difference except it's 4wd and they're legendary off road, so you enjoy the freedom it gives you and before you know it your telling people "hey! Watch this!" Next thing you know woops "I don't know how that mud got all over it sweetheart!" Haha sounds like you're on your way to the Jeep addiction. Welcome to the group.
Shawn

Shawn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in