Do I need Ballast Resistor - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 Old 08-19-2014, 01:09 PM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949er View Post
On the Duraspark System the Factory Resistance Wire is in the Harness , with a aftermarket harness with the Duraspark Coil you will FRY the coil with no Resistor afrtemarket coils may or may not need it , A HEI type ignition takes Full 12V. or they run like [email protected]@ if at all .
I wouldn't say that.

There are HUNDREDS of guys that are quite content with an HEI clone that is hooked up to the factory resistor wire...

Dozens on this forum alone have it wired that way.

(mostly because they didn't know any better and the instructions, if there were instructions, didn't tell them to jump over or remove the factory resistor wire)

-------------------

The HEI module/coil really doesn't give a crap how much input voltage there is because of the type of switching transistors used in the module.

On the other hand, DuraSpark and Mopar ignitions used a type of transistor that HATED low voltage...
Get less than 10 volts to a Mopar or DuraSpark ignition module and you will find out very quickly that it doesn't want to start...

The ONLY complaint I have about the HEI style module (A good quality copy) is they need more heat sink than they came with...
That's an easy one to fix, so I don't complain much about it.

REMEMBER,
'Free' internet information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 PM
AZ_Chip
1981 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
He's wrong.

The resistor is to save THE MODULE, not the coil.

The coil works fine from about 4 to 12 volts, or even up to 600 volts if you have a CDI module (which you don't, this is for explanation)...

The resistor chokes down CURRENT through the module.
Too much current through the module will destroy the switching transistors in the module.

A 1.35 Ohm MINIMUM in line resistor is REQUIRED to keep the MODULE ALIVE.

--------------

Some of us use a module that can handle a full 12 volts, the John Strenk Stelth HEI conversion.
It uses a GM style HEI module in the place of your factory module,
And can even be hidden in the old DuraSpark case if you live in a smog testing state like CA.

If they can't SEE the conversion, you won't get failed for it, and the HEI module will usually run cleaner at idle since you are getting more spark energy from the ignition to light the fire and consume the fuel.

With an HEI style module you CAN use a direct feed of 12 volts to the coil with no issues, but the DuraSpark module wasn't designed that way.
JeepHammer, I am doing the Team Rush upgrade per your instructions with a MSD 8414 Cap/Rotor/Base and MSD Wires. I needed a new coil anyway and bought the MSD Blaster II High Vibration coil. The instructions from MSD state I need a .8 ohm resistor if installing in to a stock points style ignition system. Where did 1.35 ohm resistor come from? This is not a breaker point type system, why do I need the resistor? Trying to get this all straight in my mind. Thanks.
post #33 of 35 Old 08-28-2014, 06:37 AM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Chip View Post

JeepHammer, I am doing the Team Rush upgrade per your instructions with a MSD 8414 Cap/Rotor/Base and MSD Wires. I needed a new coil anyway and bought the MSD Blaster II High Vibration coil. The instructions from MSD state I need a .8 ohm resistor if installing in to a stock points style ignition system. Where did 1.35 ohm resistor come from? This is not a breaker point type system, why do I need the resistor? Trying to get this all straight in my mind. Thanks.
I'm not jeephammer, but can answer. Your ignition module is electronic and it send the trigger to the coil to fire. If this electronic circuit sees full power at the coil, it will overheat and melt down. So they use a ballast resistor to lower the power at the coil to prevent this. Electronics are sensitive to power levels.

Same for points. Too much power going through them can arc them.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)

post #34 of 35 Old 08-28-2014, 03:06 PM
AZ_Chip
1981 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks Mike.

I checked my wiring diagram and I should have the resistor now. I will check for the 6V at the coil and the correct resistance between the coil and module plug. I have a lot going on!
post #35 of 35 Old 06-17-2016, 12:36 AM
greelyhill5

I have a 5.0 ford with duraspark 2, I took the resistor off 2 years ago and it runs better and more responsive. the resistor is for points

Tags
ballast , resistor , cj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in